Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 01:50 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times

Advertisements

I go through dog beds like crazy. I have a olde english bulldogge who has allergies and skin problems. i try to keep them under control but sometimes he'll lick his legs and soak a couch or dogbed or make his feet bleed. Even just chewing a crumbly bone it gets into everything and with dog beds being all that soft faux fur material its impossible to clean. They are also ridiculously expensive.

I was sick of buying $30 dog beds which aren't even that big or padded and then having to buy another a month or two later. Looked into some more washable models and you can pay like $200 for some of these memory foam or foam dog beds on amazon.

I was at goodwill yesterday and saw a bunch of couches for $9.99, $12, $15. I was origionally just gonna buy the couch keep the cusions and toss the couch but decided I'd let the dogs have the couch. Picked up the perfect size loveseat to put in my front room/den by the front window they liked to look out of. Only $12 for the couch so about a 1/3 the cost of a dog bed and much better.

If you guys have multiple dogs or big dogs I'd highly recommend picking up a cheap couch from a thrift store or good will. I wrapped the bottom cusion in a heavy plastic and just through a sheet over the rest
Attached Thumbnails
Cheaper Alternative TO Dog Beds-rsz_20140323_195829-1-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 02:37 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
That's a great idea. I have towels on my very not-cheap couch, but my seniors with hindquarter problems do sleep on dog beds. One old gal drags the bed around all night long and often pees on it because of her difficulty in rising from it, so I am always washing her beds. The couch is very popular with the others, unless I am home sleeping after third shift, in which case I seem to get 3-4 sleeping companions.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:39 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
If you guys have multiple dogs or big dogs I'd highly recommend picking up a cheap couch from a thrift store or good will. I wrapped the bottom cusion in a heavy plastic and just through a sheet over the rest
Good idea. I wrap all the cushions of my couches and the dogs' beds in vinyl shower curtains, cut to size. wrapped and taped all over, then the covers put over that. And a throw over that.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Good idea. I wrap all the cushions of my couches and the dogs' beds in vinyl shower curtains, cut to size. wrapped and taped all over, then the covers put over that. And a throw over that.
the shower curtains are a great idea. i had some of that heavy duty plastic you put up for construction that my dad had left at the house otherwise i probably owuldn't shell the money out for it but was looking at goodwill for cheap sheets and everything was pretty pricey. i know dollar store has really cheap shower curtains and you can cover quite a bit with those. my only concern would be claws going through it but with a throw on top it'd probably work out. thanks for the tip

Old 03-24-2014, 03:12 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
We have two big dogs, and have never allowed them on the furniture, so they would be most likely to curl up on the floor next to a couch.

We bought an expensive ($80+) dog bed, and it hasn't held up nearly as well as my 2nd attempt. I bought a 3" memory foam piece for a queen sized bed, and a replacement dog bed cover at Target. I easily cut the foam to size, twice, then place the pieces inside the cover, so it's about 6" off the ground. Both dogs adore it.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:19 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
I found a great solution myself. I have two Great Danes, and those dog beds get very expensive, very quickly. I bought them two beds with the lambswool zippered lining covering the cedar shavings for around $30 on sale about a year ago. They became stinky and flat within a month. At first, I took the lining off and washed it, but soon the cedar shavings were leaking out, so I had to stop washing them and soon they got gross and disgusting. Into the trash they went.

I looked all over the internet for a cheaper solution. I considered a twin mattress, but wanted to be able to move it from room to room. Plus I wanted each dog to be able to have her own place to lay if she wanted. I discovered moving blankets. I bought SIX blankets 72" x 80" for $40 on ebay. Because the girls are heavy, I double them up, but that still gave me three dog beds for $40, or six in a pinch. If you have smaller dogs, you wouldn't have to double them up, though.

They are perfect: huge, washable, tough, and a little soft. If you choose to buy these though, be aware that they have a really weird smell when you get them. We took them to the laundromat and washed them in the big washers. We laid them out overnight to dry and the smell came right out. The dogs love them, and I also use them in their crates

Old 03-24-2014, 03:38 PM

189 posts, read 326,710 times
I also replace my dog beds every few months, they start to smell!

I always go to CVS or Walgreens, they sell them for $8-$12. If you have a really large dog, they won't work but they are fine for my dogs who are 35 lbs.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whxwlvr View Post
I also replace my dog beds every few months, they start to smell!

I always go to CVS or Walgreens, they sell them for $8-$12. If you have a really large dog, they won't work but they are fine for my dogs who are 35 lbs.
yeah the small ones aren't too pricey. i actually got a very nice one at $5 at 5 below. my bulldog needs a giant one though. also im not a fan of that soft faux fur they use, it's impossible to wash slobber, chunks of bone, blood, etc out of and as toher posteres have said they start to stink pretty quickly

Old 03-24-2014, 04:51 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
A little off track from the bed issue, but try feeding your pooch a lower protein dog food. Under 20% if you can find it. It will absolutely help those skin problems.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
We have some great dog beds, but the dog prefers a big pile of blankets.

In our bedroom, there's an expensive dog bed next to my bed, in front of my nightstand, and he prefers the blankets under the nightstand. We have a pile of blankets on the floor next to the sofa in the family room.

I'm glad he made this decision because I discovered I PREFER a pile of blankets too because they're easy to wash. As a result, they never smell and never need to be replaced.

I just give him all of my old blankets and throws. He has every type of fabric imaginable. I even gave him an expensive lambs wool blanket because I didn't like the lint. He also has a down comforter and cotton and acrylic blankets too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs