Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 06:25 PM

973 posts, read 1,454,147 times

Advertisements

Why do people have attack dogs? I've seen two reality shows were people wanted attack dogs for security. Seems like bad security. Could the attacker just shoot the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 06:29 PM

148 posts, read 263,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
Why do people have attack dogs? I've seen two reality shows were people wanted attack dogs for security. Seems like bad security. Could the attacker just shoot the dog.
People have been training dogs for security work as long as people have been training dogs. Which reality shows are you talking about? That might give some insight.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:21 PM

973 posts, read 1,454,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendOfWaffles View Post
People have been training dogs for security work as long as people have been training dogs. Which reality shows are you talking about? That might give some insight.
I think a security system is better than a dog who could easily be killed.

Mob Wives and Guilianna and Bill.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:07 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,144,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
I think a security system is better than a dog who could easily be killed.

Mob Wives and Guilianna and Bill.
The security system is better when you're away from the home; a well-trained dog is better when you're in your home. Having both is typically good all around.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:30 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,028,557 times
I would feel awful if I had a dog I kept for protection and it got shot by an intruder. I can't imagine knowing my pet died because he loved me so much that he wanted to protect me even if it could mean dying.

But some dogs truly can be heroes. When I was a little girl my mother took a temporary job at a gas station after she and my father separated. That was the only immediate job she could find. The station had a German Shepard named King. I remember this dog - his head was GIGANTIC. He looked intimidating just by sheer size. Giant paws, lots of teeth.

But when kids came into the station, King was a puddle. He would literally let children ride him (the poor puppy, LOL). Like a horse. Babies could pull his ears, King wouldn't care. He would just give a doggy smile (you know how dogs sometimes look like they're smiling when they have their tongues out?) and look on with gentle eyes no matter how much they tortured him. I could tell my mom was nervous around him even so. She would always make us girls stay a bit back from him and couldn't believe people would allow toddlers next to him and on top of him.

Well, one night there was a break-in at the station. The burglar was in the garage part of the station. King was there overnight. He always stayed in the station office at night to guard the place. Well...King RAN THROUGH THE PLATE GLASS WINDOW (yes, really), shattering glass everywhere and took the burglar down before the guy knew what even happened.

King got lots of stitches and he arrived back at the station a week or so later a hero. And once again was letting children jump on his back and pull his ears.

I wonder what ever happened to that good old doggie. He was slow, methodical, gentle and sweet-tempered. But boy howdy when he saw his job he knew how to do it.

Last edited by JerZ; 04-01-2014 at 08:52 PM..

Old 04-02-2014, 06:51 AM

8,074 posts, read 12,799,949 times
I would never keep a dog for protection but that's just me. In my particular situation all I need are my mutts that will bark at strangers, I can do my own protective work.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:27 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,388,056 times
Any dog that barks at people runs the risk if getting shot by an intruder whether it's protection trained or not.

One advantage of a dog that is *properly* trained is that it is LESS likely to bite unless it's in the situation (or given the command) it's trained for AND they will stop when given the command (unlike the horrible stories we hear of children getting mauled by the family pet who wouldn't let go).

Old 04-02-2014, 10:19 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,296,429 times
I knew a lady who was a court reporter in a large city. For years she listened to cases against criminals and gang members for all sorts of offences including murder, rape, assault, etc. Sometimes these criminals would threaten the employees of the court...

Her home had bars on the windows, a security system, and two "not so friendly" Doberman Pinscher dogs which were trained to attack! I don't blame her one bit for being scared to death. Note she lived alone and did not have any children.

Then also quite common for criminals (especially drug dealers) to have attack dogs.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:40 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,104,757 times
It depends upon what you mean by security dog. If the dog is an area guard whose job is to patrol an expensive fenced compound housing rich or important people, the dog sets up an alarm and is normally backed up by a man ( or men) with a gun.

An area guard for something like a junkyard keeps casual criminals out, but there is nothing in there worth getting yourself bitten over, so not much danger that the dogs will get shot in order to gain access.

A personal protection dog involves an enormous amount of expensive training and the training must be on-going. That dog is going to be safe around strangers, have good judgment, and is not going to be away from his owner, so if there is any shooting going on, it is going to be close range and the dog has a chance to take the attacker down, even after the dog is shot. The dog will keep gong on adrenaline for a few moments and from that close to the assailant, that is time to get teeth in.

An image dog looks tough and might defend you or he might not. He doesn't have any protection training and will act on instinct. His instincts might be good or they might not.

An alarm dog lets you know that someone is there and that is all the majority of people ever need. Note that a dog that barks all the time at everything is worthless as an alarm dog. He barks all the time so people start to ignore him.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:33 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,466,427 times
Have no idea what an "attack dog" is and had never seen one. I guess that's the kind used by navy seals and other special units?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs