Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 01:07 PM

107 posts, read 152,256 times

Advertisements

I'm so sorry to hear about your tragic loss, OP. It is such a shame that an activity that can bring so much joy to pets as well as their humans can have such a heartbreaking and deadly result.

I am very fortunate to have found a park where I can take my youngest to play and feel safe about it. Although I know there is always the possibility of problems, I haven't had any. This park has a separate area for small pups and I always go during less crowded times. It is located next to an animal shelter and there are volunteers who are out there monitoring it. Not to mention that it is mainly the same people who go there and they have all been very responsible with their dogs.

Now, I only take one of my dogs there, because I KNOW she plays well with others. I do not take my other two because they are small seniors and tend to get cranky around other dogs.

There are other ways to let our pups socialize safely...I take the youngest to doggy daycare at least once a week and she loves it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 01:22 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,437,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Very sad story and owners should keep an eye on the dog but at my local dog park theres a small dog oark and a big dogpark. Nobody uses the small dog park. If you have a yorki or a maltese you should be in the small park not in the big park with rotd anf putbulls mastiffs bulldogs etc
True. I admit we've taken my boyfriend's Shih Tzu mix in the "big dog" part of the dog park, after checking out the other dogs already present. He did jump bad with a pit that approached him, but the owner was on top of it and called the dog away. The "little dog" park is often not a happening place, and there are usually more dogs on the "big dog" side. His first time there, he and a cockapoo scrapped.

Now, my dog, if another dog bothers her, it's on. She was doing so well at the dog park. Then one day, she got into three scuffles -- two with the same dog. We left. People weren't calling their dogs away, and one couple was trying to say it was okay. But it wasn't okay with me. She can play with the boyfriend's dog on playdates, and I am enrolling her in obedience training.

The problem is that other dogs want to approach her while she is trying to fetch the ball. Also, they get too close to me. In fact, a couple will come cuddle up to me and then look at her, like they are trying to get a reaction. Some want to play with her. Some try to take the ball. If the others get in a fight, she tries to herd them. Most of the time, it is fine, but I don't need the stress of a dogfight. Neither does she.

I think we're through with the dog park, unless it's empty.

Last edited by bowian; 04-24-2014 at 02:05 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 01:23 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,106,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottercutie View Post
Dogs are dogs and behave as such. They don't know they aren't supposed to react to another dog. They don't know they can hurt a smaller dog. They don't know they shouldn't correct a larger dog's rude behavior etc.

And owners are ALWAYS responsible. Most of the owners I've seen/encountered excuse away their dog's bad behaviors as "cute" or "friendly" or "playing", not picking up on cues that one of the dogs is uncomfortable, ready to attack or that the situation is escalating etc.

I am not a fan of dog parks and this is one reason why. If you want to socialize your dogs, have small playgroups with like sized dogs who have responsible owners.
You bring up a good point about bad behavior being cute. I have a large dog 100 pounds plus and a small 7 pound dog. They play and roughhouse really hard and my smaller dog never gets hurt that said my big dog also seems to know his strength and knows not to be too rough.

That said one thing I find funny is people with small dogs excuse dogs bad behavior because if a small dog jump up on you its not even hitting your knee not gonna knock you over. Same with my small dog. On the flipside if a big dog does that he could knock you over and hurt you.

I think small dogs may not hurt small dogs or kids but if they aren't propertly socialized and go after a big dog or start a fight the big dog is going to hurt them and its not the big dogs fault. That said i agree owners need to train their dogs regardless of how big or small they are and keep an eye on them at the dogpark.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:26 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,106,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
True. I admit we've taken my boyfriend's Shih Tzu mix in the "big dog" part of the dog park, after checking out the other dogs already present. He did jump bad with a pit that approached him, but the owner was on top of it and called the dog away. The "little dog" park is often not a happening place, and there are usually more dogs on the "big dog" side. His first time there, he and a cockapoo scrapped.

Now, my dog, if another dog bothers her, it's on. She was doing so well at the dog park. Then one day, she got into three scuffles -- two with the same dog. We left. People weren't calling their dogs away, and one couple was trying to say it was okay. But it wasn't okay with me. She can play with the boyfriend's dog on playdates, and I am enrolling her in obedience training.

The problem is that other dogs want to approach her while she is trying to fetch the ball. Also, they get too close to me. In fact, a couple will come cuddle up to me and then look at her, like they are trying to get a reaction. Some want to play with her. Some try to take the ball. If the others get in a fight, she tries to herd them. Most of the time, it is fine, but I don't need the stress of a dogfight. Neither does she.

I think we'e through with the dog park, unless it's empty.
yeah its hard to tell dogs behvior. sometimes dogs will kinda tease the other one wanting them to play but you never know how either will react. i agree i have a small dog and though i havn't taken him yet will probably take him to the big dog park because like you saidthe small one is dead and isn't as nice but that said im going to watch him and im going to realize its my/his fault even if he just gets in a little brushup with a bigger dog

Old 04-24-2014, 01:43 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,603,710 times
This last year I've been working at a dog day camp; from what I've seen there, coupled with the fact that apparently people are dumb enough to own a large, bully breed dog and leave them unattended in a large group of other dogs, I'm not surprised that this sort of unfortunate incident would occur from time to time.

OP, sorry for the loss.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:13 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,644,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
How sad. I hate dog parks too, but I wish at least they all had separate areas for large and small dogs. It doesn't solve every problem but it helps. So sorry about the pup.
We have a nice dog park here. The areas for large and small dogs are completely seperated and secure. No interaction twixt them is allowed. Still, turning dogs loose together thus is extremely risky. Fights are sure to happen, especially when so many people think its cool to own unaltered males and don't spend any time on training and discipline.
I have taken my dog to this park and have had no trouble as yet. She is a large breed. Siberian Husky and Perinese. She is also quite timid and old as well. 14 actually. She will not even snap or bite in self defense. She got jumped by a Queensland once, and even though she was twice that dogs size she just rolled over and cried, and I peeled the other dog off her with steel toed boots and a tire tool. That happened while camping at the lake. She was sleeping, her favorite pastime, and the other dog came in from a camp down the beach.
Many people who have dogs shouldn't. Grrrr.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:24 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,211,794 times
it is not the dog's fault it is the owner's and it is the humans who are the one's to look at
it is NEVER funny for a dog no matter what size or how cute they might be to bully another dog and sometimes the small
dogs are quite aggressive I care for some that do not like other people or other dogs
I was walking one of my regular dogs one day and a guy wanted to pet him I told him no because he will bite
the guy just laughed and said no he won't and stuck his hand out and had the crap bit out of him!!
I could have slapped his face!! What a jerk!! But he luckily saw he was the one wrong and he booked it
People do just stupid things like let their dogs walk off leash down the street! I do not care how "trained" they think their dog is, they can still be unpredictable
as far as "bully breeds" this is made them targets for all sorts of stuff
I stull say dog parks are places just waiting for tragedy to happen
personally my own dogs can get into it if they get too worked up I have a huge fenced in back yard but I NEVER
leave them unattended I had rather be safe
one of my dogs years ago ( she has since passed on) jumped her brother over a chew, and Rebel got his ear hurt really bad and cost me $300. It happened so fast and she hit a vain in his ear, had I not got him to the vet he would have bled to death

Old 04-24-2014, 03:37 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,937,776 times
We have two small (under 10 lbs) dogs and don't take them to our local dog park because there is no separate area for small dogs. Our Chihuahua is terrified of large dogs and our Min Pin is an ultra alpha and would likely challenge the wrong large dog and end up hurt or killed.

It would be nice to have a dog park close by that had a separate area for the little guys. They need socialization too but need to be safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs