Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 01:48 PM

158 posts, read 494,168 times

Advertisements

Hi! I got my boxer puppy Arnie when he was 8wks old (from a reputable local breeder, here in UK). From the moment we got him, my hubby and I both commented on how scrawny and ribby he was! After about a week in he started to have odd mucusy poo that was like jelly like with blood in! It really scared me! Always happened after he had a spout of diarrhoea he was growing upwards but not filling out and after 2wks he decided he no longer liked the food he was brought up on that the breeder recommended (Royal Canin Maxi dog Junior). So we put him on wet food -which he liked but the diarrhoea and then sickness started all over again.. Over the weekend I took him to the vets as he started to vomit and poo out blood :/ vet put him on anti sickness liquid, paste to go on food for the diarrhoea and antibiotics. It didn't work and this morn he was lethargic and refused food/water! He's now at the vets over night... I just don't know what's wrong with him I thought it might be him eating chicken poo? But he was still thin from day 1! Any thoughts/help/advice welcome
xxx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 02:09 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,015,677 times
It sounds like parvo virus.

Was the mother vaccinated?

Old 04-24-2014, 02:14 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,381,588 times
Could be Hook worms or even Gardia Has the vet checked for those? I also take him to another vet!

Old 04-24-2014, 02:16 PM

He has had all vaccinations for parvo. It's been a long time now he's been like this -8wks now :/ vets are going to do X-ray but wondered if any other pups struggled to fatten out at this age? Arnie weights 12.3kgs (27lbs) but is so thin his tail bones/hip bones are showing I keep feeding him the best I can (he even had fillet steak one night!) but still gets a bad tummy! The breeder kept his brother from the litter and he is lovely and chunky! xxx

Old 04-24-2014, 02:21 PM

Vets are doing all they can, they are currently running -blood tests to check for how well the gut is absorbing nutrients, kidney/pancreas function, faeces test -checking for worms/bacteria. What is giardia? He's at the vets over night and is having IV fluids and antibiotics poor lil sausage xxx

Old 04-24-2014, 02:22 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,229,897 times
Have you called the breeder and asked if any of the other pups are sick? Or even asked them about their policies on sick puppies that they have sold?

If this breeder is truly reputable, they will want to know about the issue and try to do something about it.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:35 PM

The breeder came over Friday and she didn't say or mention anything about policy. She just looked at me and commented on how skinny he was like it was my fault! Which infuriated me! I didn't say I was offended but I think she was definitely trying to and me as she kept saying the pup she kept is twice his size! Do you think he could of been the runt? xxx

Old 04-24-2014, 02:50 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,229,897 times
Since you are in the UK, can this group help or offer advice to you?

What to do if you’ve bought an ill pet |

IMO any reputable breeder would have offered to take the pup back and given you a refund or another pup. The sick pup would likely be put down. Not a great option if you have grown to love the pup (and who couldn't right?).

Your breeder doesn't sound reputable. Hopefully your vet and the records can prove that you didn't have anything to do with the pup's illness.

Whether or not your pup is the runt, wouldn't necessarily mean it's going to be sickly, but it could. A responsible breeder would want to know if this is a congenital or other health issue that they need to do something about for the health of their future pups.

Either way, I hope whatever is wrong with your pup gets fixed and he's soon healthy and happy.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:56 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,142,745 times
my dog had the same symptoms only he is a Chihuahua and he is a diabetic so you might have a diabetic dog on your hands ,now let me explain he gets the same way and after he gets some sugar in him he is back to his old self and I am told that is a form of diabetes that animals get where after they get sugar they are fine and he is ...I wish you luck it was a nightmare for us as well . We were at our wits end until a friend of mine helped me and figured it out . thanks and May God bless you and him .

Old 04-24-2014, 03:29 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,788,505 times
Make sure your vet checks puppy for giardia and coccidia. These are protozoal diseases. They're not worms, but protozoa organisms. They present with the symptoms you're describing.

Puppies get them from ingesting the protozoan cysts ( similar to eggs) from the environment. They're in the dirt, in the grass, etc.

They can readily be treated but it's tough. They shed the cysts out through the fecal matter of the puppy and puppy can keep reinfecting himself by licking his fur or his butt, trotting through the yard, etc.

Try to get a diagnosis. If it is giardia / coccidia, watch puppy carefully, Scoop up any poops as soon as he goes. Wipe off his butt, try to wipe his feet when he comes in from outside, etc. It may take several rounds of medication but eventually you can get it under control and gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs