Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 11:36 AM

3 posts, read 3,928 times

Advertisements

My black pug Oaklie has eye ulcers which the vet controls with cyclosporine 2% twice a day. I've been noticing lately that his eyes are getting blood shot but only when he is running around or playing with my other pet Mattie. Is this normal? I remember taking him to the vet to get his nails cut and his eyes were so blood shot and bulging out of his head they had to stop the nail cutting. I'm just wondering if this is normal with pugs or does it sound like their may be a problem brewing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 12:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,219,272 times
Are the eyeballs getting bloodshot or is that thin inner skin surrounding the eye getting red?

My dog has allergies and a tear production problem. That inner eye thin skin surrounding the eyes are blood red on him.

I'd take him to the vet to be seen. Since he already has eye problems, it's likely he's developing a new issue.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:01 PM

Thanks so much for the quick reply. It's where the white in his eyes usually is. I just looked at him now and they are whitish. It seems to get like this when he gets excited or hes being silly running around in circles. I did make a vet appointment for tomorrow just for peace of mind. He gets his eyes checked once a year to make sure no new ulcers have appeared.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:07 PM

857 posts, read 2,220,666 times
Are you taking your pug to the regular Vet or to an Opho Vet? I would give a call and ask for some feedback on this.

Pugs eyes are so delicate.

My new rescue has dry eye and has been prescribed Tacrolimus (sp) to encourage tear production,
oddly the eye that has the bloodshot look, is better than the eye that looks clear.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:46 AM

I'm happy to report my pugs red eyes have totally cleared up. The vet put him on Neomycin and Polymyxin B (1 drop) twice a day for 7 days. It reduces inflamation. He is still taking cyclosporine ophth. solution. My baby gets eye ulcers, he has had them since he was a puppy so the cyclosporine he will be on for the rest of his life. At a later date they may have to use a more aggressive treatment if the cyclosporine stops working. Thanks for everyones input. My mind is finally at ease

Old 05-09-2014, 09:04 AM

857 posts, read 2,220,666 times
Happy you found the source of your Puggies eye prob.

I did have a 2nd thought since you said it happened when your Pug got excited and that was high blood pressure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs