Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 12:16 PM

19,823 posts, read 22,716,553 times

Advertisements

Same with my Bluetick. But she picked up that hot dogs were 'hot' and dead deer were 'cold'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 12:53 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,370,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Same with my Bluetick. But she picked up that hot dogs were 'hot' and dead deer were 'cold'
Our friends have a Bluetick that will go in the woods days after a bear has been seen on the trail cam and find the sent....Jenny is amazing.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:19 PM

16,678 posts, read 17,451,554 times
When my dog was younger I used to get her to smell a tennis ball and then when she was prevented from seeing hit it into the field next to the house.

I'd then let her out into the field and watch her search for the ball.

She would zig zag the field and it was fascinating to watch her do it.

Sight was hardly a factor at all.

Even when she was close enough to see it in the grass she would still be using her sense of smell, and only when she'd really established the location would she use sight.

I miss those games as she's a grand old lady now and not really interested.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:16 PM

621 posts, read 1,423,319 times
A dog we had many years ago had a great nose and a ton of desire to Find It! My hubby would rub a golf ball behind his ears, or between his hands, then smack it out into the field with a club. Turn the dog loose.... go get a beer, start dinner.... back she would come with that golf ball! Might take her 30 min, but she never gave up!

Old 05-13-2014, 05:19 PM

621 posts, read 1,423,319 times
And when I ran my Doggie Bed and Breakfast, every evening we would have the Cookie Toss. We allowed all the boarding dogs to run together in a big fenced in field and I would take hands full of little biscuits and throw them out into the grass. The dogs spent an hour or more searching through the grass for those biscuits. Kept them busy, made them use their nose and brains. It was always fun to watch a new dog figure out the game.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:24 PM

107 posts, read 152,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
When my dog was younger I used to get her to smell a tennis ball and then when she was prevented from seeing hit it into the field next to the house.

I'd then let her out into the field and watch her search for the ball.

She would zig zag the field and it was fascinating to watch her do it.

Sight was hardly a factor at all.

Even when she was close enough to see it in the grass she would still be using her sense of smell, and only when she'd really established the location would she use sight.

I miss those games as she's a grand old lady now and not really interested.

My seniors don't seem to enjoy this sort of activity anymore, either...I guess their sense of smell isn't what it used to be. The oldest can hardly find the treat even when it is right under her nose (literally).

Old 05-13-2014, 05:43 PM

726 posts, read 1,370,463 times
I used hide my dog's bone so she could find it, then she would hide it from me :-)

Old 05-14-2014, 12:34 AM

16,678 posts, read 17,451,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldydrgnfly View Post
My seniors don't seem to enjoy this sort of activity anymore, either...I guess their sense of smell isn't what it used to be. The oldest can hardly find the treat even when it is right under her nose (literally).
I think her smell is fine, her joints aren't.

She still wanders round the field but maybe I should try a gentler version of find the ball.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:40 AM

729 posts, read 1,506,899 times
One of my dogs loved playing scent games. Some I invented and some he invented. One of his games was finding a rock in a gravel driveway. I would pickup a rock that I knew I could identify again and roll it around on my hands to get my scent on it. I would then hold Tuckers head facing me while I threw the rock in the gravel driveway. He would then scent it out and bring it back. Never failed. He always found the right one. One time 4 of us threw out rocks. One at a time, we each gave Tucker our scent and then sent him out with the command "find mine" (he was a utility level obedience competition dog so knew this command). Each time he found that persons rock in the driveway. Another experiment that we tried was dropping the scented rock in a bucket of water. It took him a few minutes to realize it was in there, about the amount of time it took for the scent to rise to the surface is my guess, and then he dove in and got the rock. He LOVED this game! He invented it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs