Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 04:17 PM

19,827 posts, read 22,734,712 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to know if anyone else plays 'scent' games with their dogs. We are all familiar with throwing the ball or the tug toy or other visual / physical games, but I hardly ever see or hear of people playing scent games with their dogs. (unless they have hunting dogs)

By scent games I mean dragging a jerky treat or even a hot dog in the yard or in the house and leaving bits here and there and then the grand prize hidden for them to scent out. Start them on the trail with a 'Track' command and then let them sniff it out.

Dogs 'see' with their noses and this is an extremely fun (and challenging) way to have some different play with dogs.

We have two German Shorthaired Pointers and part of field training is scent games. It's amazing to see how their brains go 'ding!' when you awaken their noses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 05:28 PM

107 posts, read 152,381 times
My youngest seems to really enjoy those sort of games...I hide treats around a room while she is out doing her "business" or in some of her toys and throw them back in her toy box...also have some of those "puzzle" games where I put treats in the compartments for her to find.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:56 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,959,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I'm curious to know if anyone else plays 'scent' games with their dogs. We are all familiar with throwing the ball or the tug toy or other visual / physical games, but I hardly ever see or hear of people playing scent games with their dogs. (unless they have hunting dogs)

By scent games I mean dragging a jerky treat or even a hot dog in the yard or in the house and leaving bits here and there and then the grand prize hidden for them to scent out. Start them on the trail with a 'Track' command and then let them sniff it out.

Dogs 'see' with their noses and this is an extremely fun (and challenging) way to have some different play with dogs.

We have two German Shorthaired Pointers and part of field training is scent games. It's amazing to see how their brains go 'ding!' when you awaken their noses.
What a great idea!

Old 05-12-2014, 06:57 PM

175 posts, read 590,709 times
Nope, I never even heard of scent games but I can't wait to try it. My labs will love it! Thank you!

Old 05-12-2014, 07:11 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,414,183 times
I don't play scent games with my dogs, but I let them sniff stuff like spices, toiletries, and other non-toxic stuff all the time.
All my dogs have loved to smell the spices. Sage always is a favorite. Some aren't all that interested after their first exposure, and others always like to have a sniff once in a while.

Cats like it too. For both it's not so much fun as it is an interesting experience for them. It's always interesting from a human perspective too- I've learned a lot about what my pets like or not when it comes to scents I find pleasant or not; my pets often don't share my choices.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:48 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,477,957 times
Quote:

Thanks for posting! I used to try and do this when my girl was young but she was not focused enough. I am going to try and get her back into to it in the house. Outside - there are too many distractions.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:44 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,252,934 times
Quote:

I do. I take my terrier mix into another room and close the door then I proceed to hide bits of treats around the house. Then I let her out and giver her the "find it" command and she will track every treat down. I feel like it keeps her mind stimulated as well as her "nose" She seems to really enjoy the challenge her tail is wagging the whole time

Old 05-13-2014, 07:47 AM

19,827 posts, read 22,734,712 times
I used to do this with my Bluetick years ago when she was younger (and of course they have incredible noses), then I gave up when we had Basenji's. Now we've been doing it with the GSP's and it's really a hoot to watch.

After about 3-4 times in the yard with a hot dog, they 'get it' and you make the course harder and harder. Then they get really into it and all they focus on is catching the wind with their noses. Once the find that scent cone, they narrow down their search until the zero in on the bits.

They find their prize 100% of the time now.

It's funny- we tend to forget that in dogs their scent ability is stronger than their sight. We just don't engage them in it because it is such a weak sense for us. We forget about it!

Old 05-13-2014, 09:11 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,241,162 times
Great idea! This is basically the game I play with my GSD mix, I hide her toy and tell her to find it. She looks for it but I think she smells vs. sights it, I never thought to hide treats. I'm sure she'd enjoy this game. Our other dog would probably be a master at it, he's part bloodhound, yikes!

Old 05-13-2014, 09:26 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,378,867 times
Yes....we have Treeing Walker Coonhounds.....we use bear sent on drags however, you can't do it to often because the dog will learn to always run "hot" and lose there desire to "cold track".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs