Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 12:56 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,279,004 times

Advertisements

Asked the vet and she said "don't worry" but I couldn't tell if she was saying that to avoid me blowing up in the clinic or because there is really no chance of my dog catching it.

My dog went in for emergency surgery for a blocked urethra (bladder stones) and couldn't urinate and was bleeding severely. We went in late that night to pick up our dog and she was very out of it and groggy due to the anesthesia. Our dog was brought out to us in the waiting room and my wife was holding her in her lap waiting for the tech to come out and tell us the post op stuff. A young kid was also sitting in the waiting room and had a pitbull mix of some kind on a leash and was letting the dog walk around waiting area. The dog came over and sniffed my hand and i patted it on the head, it then moved over and started sniffing our dog who was groggy from surgery. My wife tried to push the dog away but it kept moving towards our dog and got right up to our dogs nose to sniff. By now I was upset so I grabbed the dog by the collar and pulled it away from our dog and told the kid to please keep his dog away from ours as she was still groggy from anesthesia.

The kid lightly pulls on the leash and the dog falls over right there on the floor and can't get itself back up. The kid comes over and picks the dog up and the girl at the counter sees all this and asked the kid "can I help you?". The kid responds, "yeah, my dog has parvo and I was wondering if someone could take a look at him?". At this point the girl behind the counter became very concerned and told the kid the dog can't be on the floor and took him immediately back to a exam room.

I was upset and questioned the girl and she said "I'll get a doctor for you to talk to" and the doctor came out and said it was nothing to worry about since our dog is vaccinated. Is that really the case? This dog is 8 years old and we have a puppy at home that is complete with his booster shots.

Sorry for the long post but is there anything to worry about? We have a family we are friends with that lost a dog to parvo and swear the dog was vaccinated every year for it.

Last edited by LBTRS; 05-20-2014 at 01:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 01:09 PM

13,942 posts, read 39,467,646 times
No parvo transports thru the intestines ... so just bleach you shoes! You step in poop dog walks in it or eats it the poop has parvo in it you doge gets it. When you or any one cleans up poop No way they can Clean it all up! Bleach you shoes on bottom before you get into car.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:12 PM

14,373 posts, read 18,463,412 times
Rottweilers are notoriously susceptible to paarvo. If your dogs aren't rotties and are up-to-date on their shots, they should be fine.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:18 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,063,751 times
You could ask the vet to titer test -- that would ease your mind. No vaccines are 100% foolproof.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:14 PM

Thanks everyone...no, both schnauzers not rotties.

The reason I'm concerned is the dog is very lethargic (six days out of surgery) and don't know if is from the surgery still or something else. After spending $2200 on the surgery not real excited about another run to the vet. Call to the vet was unhelpful and said "bring her in" if you want us to look at her.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:37 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,990,319 times
If your dog has parvo, you'd know it. It escalates rapidly, and the dog's stool will be bloody with the foulest smell you have ever smelled.

I had 9 rescued dogs at one time, and someone dumped off several puppies who died of parvo days later. None of the other dogs (all vaccinated) caught it, thank goodness. I did have to bleach everything the puppies came in contact with.

Your dog's lethargy is probably due to the recent surgery.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:09 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,138,428 times
My vet has always told me...and I've read...that a healthy, vaccinated dog, has little chance of contracting parvo. The key word is heathy.

The above opinions are also good.

When in doubt, always seek professional advice.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:50 AM

13,942 posts, read 39,467,646 times
Healthydogs CAN get Parvo Even those that are UTD on shots!

Old 05-22-2014, 03:03 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,149,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Thanks everyone...no, both schnauzers not rotties.

The reason I'm concerned is the dog is very lethargic (six days out of surgery) and don't know if is from the surgery still or something else. After spending $2200 on the surgery not real excited about another run to the vet. Call to the vet was unhelpful and said "bring her in" if you want us to look at her.

The 'parvo' (which a CHILD told you his dog had) wouldn't be my first concern, it would be the post op condition of your dog......6 day out and still lethargic? That's not the norm...call your vet.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:22 AM

Don't know what the incubation period is of parvo but the dog currently is doing much better. She would just lay in her bed and sleep all day up until yesterday when all of a sudden she is following us around again and wanting to play with the other dog. No problems with her stool so definitely not parvo.

We spoke to the Vet several times and she said if the dog didn't have a fever, bulging at the incision or other issue presenting itself she thought the lethargic behavior was the dog just not wanting to move with an abdomen full of sutchers. Could have been the pain medication as well.

She's in much better spirits today and we have our appointment on Saturday to have the sutchers removed and a checkup.

Thanks for all the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs