Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 11:02 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times

Advertisements

I'm glad to hear that your dog is feeling better.

Parvo has many strains and it mutates fairly frequently. The parvo shots are good protection, as long as the vaccine is good against the strain your dog is exposed to. The vaccine is not a 100% guarantee because of the frequency that the virus mutates, so it is important to use some precautions about where you take the dog.

OP, if your dog has parvo, there is no mistaking it. You wouldn't be guessing. With Parvo, the lining of the intestine dies and sloughs off and the dog has the worst ever diarrhea and it smells so disgustingly of dead things that there is no mistaking it for anything else.

It is very possible that the child was wrong about his dog's illness. To some people, any vomiting is automatically called parvo.

Incidentally, it is quite easy to get a dog through parvo these days. It used to be a death sentence, until it was discovered that all that is necessary is to keep the dog fully hydrated for about a week. That involves a drip, but it can be done and the dog will come out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 12:52 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
YES...
I lost my fully vaccinated 12 week old dobe puppy to parvo, black and tan breeds (dobs, rots, sheperds ect) tend to be even more susptable to parvo and typically don't do well at al if they contract it..
there are many strains of parvo, but honestly if it was parvo you would know it, its FAST its EFFICIENT and without serious medical assistanct it is fatal.
I was a vet tech i had my girl to the vet immediately on initial symptoms (before she started even passing blood) i had her on IV and sub q fluids and meds immediately and she still couldn't make it through...

id agree that this was likely not parvo...

BUT to aswer the question

Theres NO vaccine that is 100% effective.
and the parvo vaccine is no exception...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs