Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 09:27 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,714,624 times

Advertisements

This is a prime example of a bad owner and why these people should not be allowed to own ANY dogs. Your dogs escape and start attacking people, then you cry and whine because the person being attacked fights back. The nerve of this woman is unbelievable. I guess she would have been happier if the two people where killed by her precious snow little flakes.

Woman Stabs to Death Two Attacking Pit Bulls - NBC News

Old 05-26-2014, 09:37 AM

67 posts, read 107,993 times
Good for her to not be afraid and proactive! To the owner; if your dogs get loose and attack other dogs or people, suffer the consequences. Be a responsible dog owner not a lame whiner.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:58 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,297,872 times
Good for her!

My neighbor is now carrying a pocket knife because his dog was attacked by a Pit Bull. (I'm carrying pepper spray.)

Old 05-26-2014, 11:25 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,240,304 times
This is sad, but we weren't there and don't know what happened. It makes me sad to see people getting hysterical over breeds and saying people are irresponsible when we don't know what happened. Maybe someone else left the door open and the owner wasn't aware. That happened to me, AND my neighbor and our dogs got out. I used to pen my neighbors' dog until he could come and collect it because his kids would leave the gate open.

Dogs attack other dogs and they bite. My Judy would do it if I wasn't with her. I'm careful and she's trained not to go out the door if it's open and she does what I command instantly. But I don't take risks just the same, all it takes is one time for her to decide, the heck with you human.

I can't imagine how I'd feel if Judy bit another dog and the owner stabbed her to death and I was there watching it. Really I can't. I'd have nightmares for a long time and be devastated. It wasn't that long ago that GSD's, and Dobies were considered as aggressive as pits. It makes me so sad that people think pits are killing machines, they aren't, they are dogs, kind of hyper since they are terriers but dogs just the same. The pits I've known are most dangerous at the opposite end - their tail, when they wag it you're in danger of bruising. They can bite, as Animal Control pointed out once, 'if they have teeth they bite.'

It is sad that the breed is demonized and people do not take the time to get to know them but believe the hype and continue to fuel it when they read a story like this which 'proves' how dangerous the breed is rather than seeing it for what it is, a dog being a dog. I would bet if it had been a mutt or an Airedale (a terrier that is not dog friendly) the story would not have made a ripple

Old 05-26-2014, 11:53 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,714,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
This is sad, but we weren't there and don't know what happened. It makes me sad to see people getting hysterical over breeds and saying people are irresponsible when we don't know what happened. Maybe someone else left the door open and the owner wasn't aware. That happened to me, AND my neighbor and our dogs got out. I used to pen my neighbors' dog until he could come and collect it because his kids would leave the gate open.

Dogs attack other dogs and they bite. My Judy would do it if I wasn't with her. I'm careful and she's trained not to go out the door if it's open and she does what I command instantly. But I don't take risks just the same, all it takes is one time for her to decide, the heck with you human.

I can't imagine how I'd feel if Judy bit another dog and the owner stabbed her to death and I was there watching it. Really I can't. I'd have nightmares for a long time and be devastated. It wasn't that long ago that GSD's, and Dobies were considered as aggressive as pits. It makes me so sad that people think pits are killing machines, they aren't, they are dogs, kind of hyper since they are terriers but dogs just the same. The pits I've known are most dangerous at the opposite end - their tail, when they wag it you're in danger of bruising. They can bite, as Animal Control pointed out once, 'if they have teeth they bite.'

It is sad that the breed is demonized and people do not take the time to get to know them but believe the hype and continue to fuel it when they read a story like this which 'proves' how dangerous the breed is rather than seeing it for what it is, a dog being a dog. I would bet if it had been a mutt or an Airedale (a terrier that is not dog friendly) the story would not have made a ripple
Wow, thank you for this post. You just made my point more better than anything I could have written. Did you even read the story or the thread title? I specifically mentioned OWNERS, not the dogs themselves. But that doesn't really matter to you. It is never the dog or owners fault. One thing that you can count on is a Pit owner will NEVER take responsibility. What would you have preferred this woman had done? Should she have allowed these two dogs to rip her dogs apart and then turn on her as well? It really doesn't matter if "I wasn't there" or if a neighbor had let the dogs out. That is completely beside the point and the fact that you even bring it up shows you're trying to deflect from the real issue. To me a Pit Bull or any other dangerous breed of dog is just like a gun, or even worse as it is autonomous. A gun can't leave the house and start shooting people on its own. If you have a Pit or any other potentially lethal breed then it is up to YOU to always make sure they are secure and that even the remote chance that they can escape is not possible. The really sad thing here is the Pit owner was only given a $200 fine. She should have been charged with criminal negligence and attempted homicide. If she had allowed her child to find a gun and that kid shot somebody you know darn well that is what they charges would be.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:09 PM

154 posts, read 308,235 times
The fact of the matter is that if you have a dog that will attack another dog given the chance, you need to take whatever measures are necessary to ensure that dog never gets out. Period, NO excuses. I have owned dog-aggressive and human-aggressive dogs. (Not pit bulls/bully breeds, but all over 70lb.) You do what it takes, whether that means crating the dog in a separate room whenever you have guests, having a baby gate in front of any entrances, closing the interior garage door every time before you open the exterior garage door, having a lock on your dog's crate, etc. I took what probably looked like extreme measures like these with my DA and HA dogs, and I'm sure people talked about me being paranoid or overly cautious behind my back, but hey - none of my pets has ever been stabbed to death in the street.

If you have a DA/HA dog, sadly especially if it's a bully breed, you HAVE TO KNOW that if your dog gets loose and you are not there to protect it and protect other creatures from it, you are forcing someone else to eliminate the threat however they see fit.

NOT TO MENTION, this woman's dogs could have very easily been hit by a car, stolen for use in a dog fighting ring, etc.

I feel really bad for her, but she needs to learn some personal responsibility before getting another pet.

Also - no properly socialized, behaviorally-sound 1-year-old dog should be inflicting puncture wounds on another dog. Period. That is dog aggression, and indicates either horrible, HORRIBLE breeding, a complete and total lack of socialization, or absolutely no training/behavioral modification - likely all three.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:14 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfanboston View Post
The fact of the matter is that if you have a dog that will attack another dog given the chance, you need to take whatever measures are necessary to ensure that dog never gets out. Period, NO excuses.

If you have a DA/HA dog, sadly especially if it's a bully breed, you HAVE TO KNOW that if your dog gets loose and you are not there to protect it and protect other creatures from it, you are forcing someone else to eliminate the threat however they see fit.

I feel really bad for her, but she needs to learn some personal responsibility before getting another pet.

Also - no properly socialized, behaviorally-sound 1-year-old dog should be inflicting puncture wounds on another dog. Period. That is dog aggression, and indicates either horrible, HORRIBLE breeding, a complete and total lack of socialization, or absolutely no training/behavioral modification - likely all three.
Brilliant.
If you own a dog that just randomly attacks people or other dogs (I have never had a dog like this my entire life and don't see how or why you would even keep such a loaded gun around), then you better make sure it NEVER sets foot off your property.

Sorry. Your dog attacks and I don't care if it just scratches my dog. If it's such an unbalanced, out of control menace, it should NEVER be in the company of the public EVER. Not out for a walk on a leash (collars can be slipped, leashes can be yanked out of hands, etc), not roaming the neighborhood...NEVER.

I don't care what breed it is. I have seen some really nasty little dogs...we just saw one today at the pet store who was about to pull its owner over snarling, growling, and pulling so hard to get to people/other dogs.

What a strange weapon she uses for self defense...

Old 05-26-2014, 12:51 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,279,740 times
PER THE MODERATOR NOTE POSTED AS A STICKY IN THIS FORUM - this is NOT to be a place to bash pit bulls OR their owners. This one will head downhill in a hurry. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs