Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:29 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,613,774 times

Advertisements

My wife just left for the Buffalo airport to pick up our two new standard poodle pups that are flying in from Montana. I'm so excited. They are a breeding pair and we have a female already so in a year it will be puppy time, big time. These pups are as red as red can be. We love red poodles and they are in short supply here in the east. Both pups have fantastic lines and the male's father was a world champ. There is a severe lack of "New blood" here for the poodle breeders and so this guy will be in great demand. One of my kids said, "I can't believe it, my father the dog pimp" LOL.

They are just such a great breed of dog. Very smart, completely nonsheding, very little barking, no smell, very healthy and very beautiful to boot. I'm sure we will derive great things from this pair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 11:58 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,388,439 times
Thrilled for you and I'll bet I know who the breeders are. There is a breeder of Standard Reds here in GA and I've talked with them several times. They hunt their's and compete in hunting tests.

Congrats and can't wait to see some photos.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:04 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,209,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
My wife just left for the Buffalo airport to pick up our two new standard poodle pups that are flying in from Montana. I'm so excited. They are a breeding pair and we have a female already so in a year it will be puppy time, big time. These pups are as red as red can be. We love red poodles and they are in short supply here in the east. Both pups have fantastic lines and the male's father was a world champ. There is a severe lack of "New blood" here for the poodle breeders and so this guy will be in great demand. One of my kids said, "I can't believe it, my father the dog pimp" LOL.

They are just such a great breed of dog. Very smart, completely nonsheding, very little barking, no smell, very healthy and very beautiful to boot. I'm sure we will derive great things from this pair.
Are you assuming that you will have their championships by 1 year old? That's awfully agressive for Standard Poodles, who are extremely hard to finish.

Or are you just going to breed them without Championships? If so, how in the world will you know that they are of the best conformation to breed them? You can't tell as puppies.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Are you assuming that you will have their championships by 1 year old? That's awfully agressive for Standard Poodles, who are extremely hard to finish.

Or are you just going to breed them without Championships? If so, how in the world will you know that they are of the best conformation to breed them? You can't tell as puppies.
We are not going to show them. I'm just not into all the political crap with the CKC. I also don't like the show coats you have to give the dog to show them. We went through the same thing years ago when we were breeding a fantastic line of standard schnauzers. Both mother and father of our pair were big time champs and at the time the sire was the winningest dog in American kennel club history. They were the greatest dogs and the puppies were just as expected. I still love the breed but it's not a very popular breed and it's difficult to find enough homes for the puppies. There have been lots of BAD standard schnauzer breeders and a badly bred SS is a menace, visous, hyper and uncontrollable. I think it has given a great breed a bad name. My SSs were the best dogs ever

You can be reasonably sure of what they are going to be like from their pedigree. WE have one poodle dame already and she's a beauty, great blood lones and she's big. 25 inches. We have net a lot of people who would like a smaller standard poodle but not as small as a big miniture. These Montana reds are "Moyan" poodles which are a small standard. We will get small pups from that pair and much bigger pups from our big girl. There is a chance we will get a few apricot pups also. The apricots in the Male's line are outstanding. A beautiful colour and most important, black nose, pads and lips. The little female we are getting I won't breed for two years. I don't like breeding a ***** before her third heat although my vet says he prefers the second heat. I want the dog fully grown and developed before breeding her. We will only breed each one 3 or 4 litters. That's enough in my opinion. Anyway, we love dogs and really look forward to all the experiences we will have with these new additions to the family. WE hope to seel a lot of these pups locally and we will meet many new friends that way. We also have a selfish interest in that my wife is a groomer and each local pup is a new, "For life customer". Most groomers around here don't know how to do poodles properly and they generally make a mess of them. My wife is a perfectionist and if a dog takes all day to do properly, then that's what it is.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:06 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,912,403 times
your vets nuts, d NEVER breed any dog before 2 yrs old thats at minimum in most breeds the rd heat.

i dont care about showing but would love to know what genetic testing youll be doing?

i love standards but the bad breeding has turend them into a genetic mess...

Old 03-22-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
You can be reasonably sure of what they are going to be like from their pedigree.
That's not really true. Every litter yields a mix of show/ breedable dogs and pet-quality dogs. A wide variety within one litter, from the exact same pedigree.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
your vets nuts, d NEVER breed any dog before 2 yrs old thats at minimum in most breeds the rd heat.

i dont care about showing but would love to know what genetic testing youll be doing?

i love standards but the bad breeding has turend them into a genetic mess...
I have a list here as long as your freakin arm of tests to be done!

I assure you the stock my dogs come from is world champ stock. Many world famous dogs are in the lines. Many of then Russian and Finnish. With my stud dog I plan to greatly improve the genetics of poodles in this region.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
And while you may not be a fan of showing (and that's fine), the whole point of getting a Championship is to have multiple (educated in the breed standard) judges say a specific dog is better (in terms of conforming to the breed standar) than all of the other dogs they are looking at that day. Is it a perfect process? Absolutely not. Does having a dog with a Championship guarantee healthy, perfect puppies? Not a chance.

But does making sure your dog has it's Championship represent that you are doing your due dilligence to ensure only those dogs who represent the best of the breed go onto produce puppies? Yes.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
And while you may not be a fan of showing (and that's fine), the whole point of getting a Championship is to have multiple (educated in the breed standard) judges say a specific dog is better (in terms of conforming to the breed standar) than all of the other dogs they are looking at that day. Is it a perfect process? Absolutely not. Does having a dog with a Championship guarantee healthy, perfect puppies? Not a chance.

But does making sure your dog has it's Championship represent that you are doing your due dilligence to ensure only those dogs who represent the best of the breed go onto produce puppies? Yes.
I disagree with you. The kennel club has ruined many good breeds of dog. The German Shepards have almost be destroyed by their stupidity. I have owned Kuvasz from the best blood in the world and they would have NOTHING to do with the kennel club. I have met many dogs that were CKC champs that were a dumb as logs and a very poor example of the breed. I noticed that the border Collie is now recognized by the AKC. For decades the best of the best breeders wanted nothing to do with those people. I'm sure their inclusion will hurt the breed big time.

Even the poodle has been changed by them. European Standard poodles are far smaller than North American poodles. That's the USA for you. Bigger is better in all things. The north American poodles are far too snippy because that extreme pointed snout is the flavour of the day. No matter it causes so many health problems, that how the KC decides the dog should look.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:24 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,912,403 times
i was going to say EXACTLY what lucknow pointed out about the showing = best of the best, conformation is FASHION...every judge will interpret the standard a little bit different, its not the "best of the best" but the "best of whats there that day"

the confo ring GSD can barely walk yet would take top points over a performance bred GSD anyday.
the confo bulldog cant even give birth naturally and look NOTHING like the breed was origionally designed...
the origioanl continental clip for poodles was not even 12 the lenght as seen in the show ring today (todays style would weigh the dog down in the water NOT insulate it...way too much coat.
the show ring labs are much too stocky compared to how they were designed, the confo doxie wouldnt make it half way down a badger warren, i fear to see what happens to someof the newly accepted breeds over the next 50 years...

I DO agree its important to have people familiar with the breed and NOT biased to you look at your dogs (you cannot juge your own dogs conformation unbiasdly, now can your freind or your dogs breeder ect...) BUT after YEAR of running dogs round the confo ring...the entire process now makes me sick...
ive seen the breed standards of a number of breeds subtly changed over the years to reflect CURRENT trends...the breed standard hould NEVER change to fit the "new" style but it does...todays GSD would have been laughed out of the ring 50 years ago.

i DO belive the dogs shoudl prove themselves otherwise however (again they should fit bred standard as dictated by an unbiased expereinced 3rd party) but if im looking for a good GSD im not looking for one that fits todays bred standard, im looking for one that fits the WORKING standard and has the drive to do that work too...
if im looking for a bulldog i want one that can breath without issues...(the original bulldog coudl deliver naturally didnt require AI and could chase a bull! todays bulldogs cant even go outside in the summer without issues!)

YES physcially fitting what the breedSHOULD look like is VERY VERY important....however the confo ring has modified that so much over the years that i couldnt give a rats arse what an akc judge thinks of that naturally eared great dane, or that not roached enough working GSD, or that bulldog that actually COULD hold a bull...

i do want to see good knees, hips, eyes, i want genetic testing dependant on the breed and i want prrof the dog is more than just some pet...working dogs shoudl work, companion dogs should do something companion related (therapy dog cert for example ect)

i tell people im a reformed AKC snob LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs