Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 01:12 AM

104 posts, read 144,458 times

Advertisements

my dog had a couple of trips to the vet for a rash and irritation on his paws which he made worse by constant chewing on them. Each time he got antibiotics and cream as well, he cleared up, his issue obviously was bacterial infections. After trying a couple brands of medicated shampoos, I read about GNC antibacterial antifungal shampoo and conditioner, I went to petsmart and bought both. Its totally worked for me once a week bath in the summer has kept his issues at bay.It even smells nice. not real cheap but certainly cheaper then vet trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 12:01 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
have you tried an elimination diet?
food allergies commonly cause itchy feet (not sure why but its a common sigh of food allergies, particularly grain based)

personally id be wanting to get to the REASON for the issues rather than just treating the symptoms.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:48 AM

8,546 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Skin bacterial infection take on the same characteristics as a food allergy, so it is difficult to tell which is which, at least for we novices.

For the longest time I wrestled with this with my German Shepherd.
All the time thinking it was some sort of food allergy.

After many different changes in food,and still the skin rashes developing,the vet examined him and he determined it was a skin bacterial infection.
He seemed to know the minute he looked at the small rashes on the underside of his rear legs.
Many dogs have this condition.
There is no absolute cure, as more than likely dogs are born with this.

You can however control the incidence of outbreaks.
For a while the vet put him on antibiotics in pill form, and that did clear up the rashes, but only until all the medication was used up.
The vet suggested a topical spray, which would do the same as the pills, and it works every bit as good as the pills.

The spray is a prescription, and isn't cheap, but well worth it.
If I see a small rash starting, I spray, and within an hour it is gone.
My Shepherd use to lick his paws a lot, which is why I suspected a food allergy.
Since he has been on this antibiotic spray, he has stopped licking his paws.
When you visit your vet, ask him/ her if perhaps it may be a bacterial skin infection, and not a food allergy.

Bob.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:24 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
but, bacteria and fungus need something to live on...

for example, yeast feeds on sugars...so a diet high in grain will continually feed yeast infections...by eliminating the fungus food source...you eliminate the fungus and will no longer have to be constantly suing pills and sprays and creams to control it...

I have a intestinal yeast sensitivity...I was on meds for about 3 years until a new dr said "hey wait a min" and put me on a low sugar low carb diet...tummy troubles have cleared up almost completely and only flare up again when im naughty...

add to that that most infections need a weakend immune system to latch onto...the better the diet the stronger the immune system the less likely the infection...

im not saying its "allergies" (though hoping they were rulled out)
im just saying take a look at what your feeding...pills arnt a cure... and im personally seeing directly human and animal alike, whats in our fridge/pantry oten corolates to health issues...the better the diet, the better the overall health...

Old 08-16-2014, 10:16 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Skin bacterial infection take on the same characteristics as a food allergy, so it is difficult to tell which is which, at least for we novices.

For the longest time I wrestled with this with my German Shepherd.
All the time thinking it was some sort of food allergy.

After many different changes in food,and still the skin rashes developing,the vet examined him and he determined it was a skin bacterial infection.
He seemed to know the minute he looked at the small rashes on the underside of his rear legs.
Many dogs have this condition.
There is no absolute cure, as more than likely dogs are born with this.

You can however control the incidence of outbreaks.
For a while the vet put him on antibiotics in pill form, and that did clear up the rashes, but only until all the medication was used up.
The vet suggested a topical spray, which would do the same as the pills, and it works every bit as good as the pills.

The spray is a prescription, and isn't cheap, but well worth it.
If I see a small rash starting, I spray, and within an hour it is gone.
My Shepherd use to lick his paws a lot, which is why I suspected a food allergy.
Since he has been on this antibiotic spray, he has stopped licking his paws.
When you visit your vet, ask him/ her if perhaps it may be a bacterial skin infection, and not a food allergy.

Bob.
The spray for bacterial skin infections is.....can't remember the name!!! But it is fantastic. Our retriever mix had a bacterial infection of the skin on her "pants" area when we adopted her, and the spray was just great. CAn someone help me out with the mane? Begins with an M maybe?

Old 08-16-2014, 01:49 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I hope somebody can think of this. Poor Lucy the Bichon has suffered tremendously all summer. At first I tought her grain free food had changed formula but no that wasn't it. Then we saw some fleas and I figured I must have missed an application. Bathed her and got rid of the fleas and put the drops on but she is still miserable. She is supposed to be white but she has licked herself on paws, legs, underbelly till she is pin and an angry pink - red to boot. I haven't taken her to the vet cause the one I like is on vacation and I don't like the sub who comes in. In the mean time I surely would like to try something besides the OTC spray which isn't working anyway.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:49 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,385 times
You may be referring to Genesis Topical Spray. I keep a bottle of it around.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:53 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
That's what The vet prescribed for my Shepherd, and though a bit on the pricey side, it works.

Bob.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:48 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
That's what The vet prescribed for my Shepherd, and though a bit on the pricey side, it works.

Bob.
You're right Bob but a little goes a long way.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:23 AM

104 posts, read 144,458 times
Default I have the genta spray

I was just shareing the GNC medicated anti bacterial really works if you want to try something to prevent the skin issues. I know it's not diet related as I feed grain free dog food. Always have have bought high end dog foods. It is probably allergies that become bacterial from his chewing on himself. My dog was born in Arizona and moved here to Ohio. I'm sure he reacts to grass, he's not used to it I can't eliminate that here obviously so prevention is what I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs