Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 02:06 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I'd talk to them and if that doesn't work I'd probably bag the poop and put it on their steps/walkway. I'm not sure that's the right thing to do...but I know I'd do it.
Exactly what I would do too...but only after politely discussing the problem with the neighbor first. I might even bring a fresh roll of poop bags to boot.

I sometimes have that problem at the beach. People walking by that I don't know will sometimes leave their dog poop in the yard, and if I see it I will always offer to bring a poop bag out off the screen porch and give them one. I have never had the first person not take me up on my offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 02:32 PM

317 posts, read 1,513,188 times
The reason I believe it's their dogs that are pooping in the yard is because how far back it is. It's in the back portion of the yard. They have a leash/rope in the backyard for when they tie the mean one up for a shirt period of time. The poop is in the area where it could reach. I would be questioning whose poop if it was in the front of the yard but I really don't think it could be anyone else's. I guess the only way id know for sure is if I see the dog pooping and then they don't pick it up. However from the house it's pretty hard to see what exactly the dog is doing and I look like a weirdo staring out my windows.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:34 PM

84 posts, read 128,375 times
So they allow the leashed dog to reach into the area where you retrieve your garbage cans? That has to be either the side or behind your unit. I'd start there. Ask them to shorten the reach of the leash so you don't have to worry about stepping in something.

As a dog owner who lived on an end unit townhouse at one time I can tell ya from personal experience and observation, those who pick up after their dogs do, those who don't.... don't. At one time, the end unit owner across from us had a dog as well. We picked up after each others dog in the event we missed something. There can be a happy ending to this.... just be certain it's their dog. and speak to them.

The conversation could even start with the inquiry if they happen to see other dogs using the common area since you "know" they pick up after theirs. EASY conversation.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:26 PM

397 posts, read 805,053 times
I have the same problem in my townhome subdivision.

I'm miffed at not just one person, but the multitude of pet owners that just don't care. Letters and complaints to the hoa don't do much good. I stopped complaining.

Big piles of dog feces right next to my mailbox all the time. You would think people would at least half-heartedly care. Yeah.....make sure you dog has to stop right by my mailbox in the grass.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:26 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmrd View Post
“There are several very common diseases that can be transmitted to dogs, cats and people through feces. These include giardia, roundworms, salmonella, and Ecoli. In addition, your dog can spread or contract parvovirus or coronavirus through infected feces. All of these diseases are very serious and common and every effort should be made by pet owners to keep their pets and family away from potentially infected feces.â€
I'm sure if you practice basic sanitation and don't eat the feces you should be fine. All my family and friends grew up with animal feces in the yard and every last one of us is fine. Why is everyone creating so much fear around what are natural processes?

Old 07-12-2014, 08:56 PM

397 posts, read 805,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
I'm sure if you practice basic sanitation and don't eat the feces you should be fine. All my family and friends grew up with animal feces in the yard and every last one of us is fine. Why is everyone creating so much fear around what are natural processes?
As a homeowner, I should not be inconvenienced by other peoples laziness and lack of caring. You bought the dog, I didn't.

I was a kid once, too and played in many back yards. The problem with townhomes and smaller subdivisions is that you have 100's of people living very close together.

Dozens and dozens of dogs are being walked over and over in the same small parcel of land.

I've seen more piles of dog feces in the last 2 years than I've seen in 20. It just gets to be ridiculous.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:08 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryrocks View Post
As a homeowner, I should not be inconvenienced by other peoples laziness and lack of caring. You bought the dog, I didn't.

I was a kid once, too and played in many back yards. The problem with townhomes and smaller subdivisions is that you have 100's of people living very close together.

Dozens and dozens of dogs are being walked over and over in the same small parcel of land.

I've seen more piles of dog feces in the last 2 years than I've seen in 20. It just gets to be ridiculous.
It seems like more and more people walk their dogs than in the past.

We always had a dog (up until our Sheltie passed away a month ago) and always had a fenced-in yard so we weren't big on walking our dog. The thought of me carrying a bag of dog poop makes me gag! To each his own!

There were a few of us in my n'hood that discussed what to do about the situation. Online, I found a hose that automatically comes on when anyone comes near it. Wanted to buy it for the front yard!!!

Old 07-12-2014, 09:20 PM

Why don't you contact the hoa about that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryrocks View Post
I have the same problem in my townhome subdivision.

I'm miffed at not just one person, but the multitude of pet owners that just don't care. Letters and complaints to the hoa don't do much good. I stopped complaining.

Big piles of dog feces right next to my mailbox all the time. You would think people would at least half-heartedly care. Yeah.....make sure you dog has to stop right by my mailbox in the grass.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:25 PM

It's hard to describe my townhome position, but I'm at the end of my line if that makes sense. There are 5 houses to the left of me then a cul de sac. I am at the end of my line and ther is a joined yard wit my neighbor. We are both on the end of our line of 6 houses.

This afternoon I watched her dog take a dump in my yard. I figured I would check whether it was cleaned a few hoes later when I was leaving. Sure enough when I left, it was still there. I figured id give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they'd clean it by tomorrow.

I really hate confrontation, I'm scared of it in fact. I'm thinking of writing them a letter as cornsy as it sounds. But it's also hard to catch them at home and outside when 2 of their dog isn't barking it's head off because it wants to come attack em

Old 07-12-2014, 10:21 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkrn44 View Post
It's hard to describe my townhome position, but I'm at the end of my line if that makes sense. There are 5 houses to the left of me then a cul de sac. I am at the end of my line and ther is a joined yard wit my neighbor. We are both on the end of our line of 6 houses.

This afternoon I watched her dog take a dump in my yard. I figured I would check whether it was cleaned a few hoes later when I was leaving. Sure enough when I left, it was still there. I figured id give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they'd clean it by tomorrow.

I really hate confrontation, I'm scared of it in fact. I'm thinking of writing them a letter as cornsy as it sounds. But it's also hard to catch them at home and outside when 2 of their dog isn't barking it's head off because it wants to come attack em
I lived in a situation where I got pretty good at flicking dog poop with a spade.
It's all in the wrist action.

In this situation, I might just flick it to where they park their cars. Or their sidewalk or steps.
They know where the dog is pooping. They just don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs