Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 04:52 PM

19,885 posts, read 12,177,057 times

Advertisements

I have a very sweet but skittish foster that literally melts in my arms. A lady came by today planning on adopting him
and he did not react well. He growled (never heard that from him yet) and struggled to get away. I feel sad for her but
I have to honor the dog's feelings. It still isn't easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 06:14 PM

30,680 posts, read 16,331,967 times
How did he respond to you the 1st time? Would things get better if she spent time with him?

Not trying to be, I don't know-insulting or something but are you sure the foster isn't picking up on the fact that you're attached?

Old 06-06-2014, 08:02 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,121,028 times
Make sure you're not getting overly attached to the dogs to where you feel you are the only one good enough for the dog or the only one the dog likes. its easy to have it happen ive seen it happen to some friends who wind up with 6 or 8 dogs before they have to stop fostering

Old 06-07-2014, 10:35 AM

19,885 posts, read 12,177,057 times
No insult taken. Believe me, I am conscious of that possibility. Dogs do sense energy and he fought to get out of her arms every time. I didn't want to write a long story about it but the trainer that works with this group understands his limitations and agrees to look for a good fit for him. When I first got him if he saw a man across the street he would turn and run towards home. He has very contentedly laid in my neighbor's lap and enjoyed a massage and from the first day he was comfortable with me so my guess is he knows who he likes and doesn't like and I respect that. I cannot see forcing a dog to go with someone he does not like just because they have a check to buy him. No one will win in that situation. I do not want a boy dog as a forever dog so no, I do not have plans to keep him.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:50 AM

1,915 posts, read 4,000,765 times
Animals know when something is wrong. Thank you for not brushing it off and letting that woman take the dog.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:03 PM

30,680 posts, read 16,331,967 times
yup-sounds like you're doing the right thing.

Hope you and he can find a fit for him.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:07 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,130,810 times
I always trust my dogs instincts...as well as foster dogs. I wouldn't have forced him to go either.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:02 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,696,357 times
Dogs have an instinct about people that I trust. I'm glad you listened to your foster dog and didn't force this pairing. Something just isn't right with the potential adopter.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:23 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,425,234 times
I'm going to disagree with other people on here.

One of my father's hunting dogs had an instant aversion to me from the moment he was brought home, to the point of aggression. He would literally try to attack me through the gate. He was fine with all other people. Because I was no longer living at home and the only person who triggered this reaction, I (and my father) never bothered to address the issue. My father was more amused than concerned, as it was the first time he'd ever seen a dog NOT like me. Years later, I ended up taking care of his hunting dogs for a time when he was ill - this dog still hated me, was snarling and biting at the gate like a lunatic. Three feeding times later and he would let me do whatever I wanted to him, and I was snuggling him like a baby, giving him bellyrubs, you name it.

We believe that he was abused in his original home by someone who had some distinctive features that I shared. Dogs' first impressions are largely meaningless - it's their behavior after continued exposure that matters.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:33 AM

1,136 posts, read 2,246,358 times
My little mutt is 8 months old and he has very decided likes and dislikes when it comes to other beings, furred and human. He is usually shy with strangers but once in a while he'll meet someone and act as if it is he long lost friend. I'd say the potential adopter was not a good fit and the dog knew it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs