Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 04:48 PM

45 posts, read 145,554 times

Advertisements

What does everyone use for flea medication? Topical agents like Frontline (didn't work on my dog) and Advantix (she flips out when I put it on her) are out of the question.

My vet offers Comfortis, but I've heard bad things about it.

I don't want my girl bitten by fleas (I'm starting to see little bites on her tummy), but I don't want to give her anything bad either!

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 11:05 PM

8,666 posts, read 11,099,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeniferv View Post
What does everyone use for flea medication? Topical agents like Frontline (didn't work on my dog) and Advantix (she flips out when I put it on her) are out of the question.

My vet offers Comfortis, but I've heard bad things about it.

I don't want my girl bitten by fleas (I'm starting to see little bites on her tummy), but I don't want to give her anything bad either!

Help!

I posted this over a year ago, and a search couldn't bring it up.
To understand why pets get fleas, you have to know what it is in our pets that attract fleas.

Simply put, it is the dog or cat's natural odor that is picked up by the fleas oratory senses.
They are naturally attracted to these odors.
So the question would be, how do I change my pet's odor to keep fleas off of him/her?

It involves more than just odor control to rid your pet of fleas.
For years I used the flea control methods sold at stores and vets, and sometimes they worked, and often they had no effect at all.
Besides that fact, I did not like the idea of all those chemicals being put on my dog.
So what was the final solution?

First off, the pet needs to have a good shampoo. to kill any fleas that it may already have.
Forget those expensive flea shampoos.
That is a waste of money.

Through research, I found that blue dawn dish detergent is best at killing fleas on the spot.
I don't know why it works, but I know it does, as evidenced by the dead fleas in the bath water.
I never saw that with any flea shampoo from the stores.
Once bathed and dried, the next step is to apply something to change the natural odor of the pet.

You can use a doggie cologne available at pet stores (make sure it has no alcohol content), or a much simpler step is to take an un-pealed orange, and rub the pets body with it, especially under the belly and between the legs.

This may sound crazy, but it works.
And the reason it works is because it alters the natural odor given off by the pet, and fleas are no longer attracted to the pet.
If using either method, twice a week is enough to keep your pet from being the magnet that attracts fleas.
I have been using this treatment on my Shepherd for about a year now, and he has not had any fleas since.
He gets bathed once a month, and I never see any fleas in the water as I did when first starting this treatment.
I had occasion to bring my Shepherd to the vet for his annual check up last week, and part of that was the vet taking a flea comb to see if he had fleas.
When the vet found no evidence of fleas, he asked what product I use for flea control.
I told him blue dawn shampoo, and a non- alcohol doggie cologne.
His response was "I sure don't want that getting around, I sell alot of flea products".

Now, ask yourself what is in those flea treatments you buy at the store?
Answer, too many chemicals, and I think one of them is there to alter the natural odor given off by your pet.
Ever notice a day or so after you apply the flea treatment, the pet has a different odor?
That is because the people that make the flea treatments know the natural odor has to be altered in order for fleas to not be attracted to the pet.

Also you will notice, the treatment states it last for one month, and that you are supposed to apply it once a month.
Why is this?
Simple, the odor altering properties of the chemical has worn off, and unless applied once again, the fleas are back.
I would assume with the system and products I use,it also has the same effect on ticks.
I have not seen one tick on my dog since I started with this, and we walk in the wooded area of Arroyo Seco Park every single day.
I swear by this, and all it took is some common sense to figure why pets attract fleas, and what to do so they won't.

Bob.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:46 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,805,301 times
There is a new chewable flea prevention Nexgard that you might try. As soon as I finish up my Frontline, I'm going to put my dogs on it.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:12 AM

19,938 posts, read 12,230,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

You can use a doggie cologne available at pet stores (make sure it has no alcohol content), or a much simpler step is to take an un-pealed orange, and rub the pets body with it, especially under the belly and between the legs.
Interesting...I have never heard of the orange trick but I love natural ways as a first line of defense. It makes sense as I remember using a citrus based powder in the home some 25 years ago and remember it worked like magic. Back then, we all seemed to have a terrible time with flea infestation in the homes (I'm in Florida) and I was thrilled to find such an effective and less offensive treatment plan. I remember using the bombs - yuck!

Old 08-08-2014, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 886 times
Default Pet Medications

I have used Comfortis on my dogs and it has worked well. The only issue I had was one dog did vomit afteward. It is recommended to be given with food to avoid this. I like it as my dogs swim a lot and topicals needed to reapplied more often. Check out [url=http://www.PetRescueRX.com]Pet Rescue Rx. - Pet Meds[/url] for great prices and they donate all profits to animal shelters and rescues. Its a win-win especially for the shelter pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs