Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 09:31 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times

Advertisements

I've wondered about this for a long time. Sometimes when I have to leave the house for a while, I'll give Lily a treat as I'm telling her goodbye. NEVER will she eat the treat until I come back home. It's kind of funny, when I return she greets me with excitement, then she runs to wherever the treat was left, and devours it.

Any other time I give her a treat (when I'm not leaving the house), she eats it right away.

How about your dogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 10:46 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
Dogs are almost like humans at times...they sense things.

When in the Army there was this one guy that always ate his desert pie/cake/ice cream first and then rest of the meal.

Had one dog for 14 yrs that would eat all of his bowl clean before eating the extra treat that was inside.

His son on the other hand goes for the cookies (figure of speech) first and then eats his dry food last.

I always give my dog a treat of sorts after returning from shopping and he will sit and wait while I put thing away.

They sense things or recall a treat was given at a certain time.....at times they are almost human.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:58 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
Maybe she feels that the treat doesn't taste as good without her human around?

Old 07-21-2014, 06:22 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I've wondered about this for a long time. Sometimes when I have to leave the house for a while, I'll give Lily a treat as I'm telling her goodbye. NEVER will she eat the treat until I come back home. It's kind of funny, when I return she greets me with excitement, then she runs to wherever the treat was left, and devours it.

Any other time I give her a treat (when I'm not leaving the house), she eats it right away.

How about your dogs?
My dog does this, I'd take it as a complement. Like when all is right in the world (when you are home), she will enjoy the treat.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:35 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,420,607 times
Aw that's sweet. I've never had a dog that did that, but all the dogs I've had seem to not drink water when no one's home. If you come in after being gone all day, after the excited greeting, they run and drink water as if they hadn't had access to any all day. Of course, it's been sitting there the whole time.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:44 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
If you can consider Artie as having been normal, then it's normal. Artie did the same thing as Lily, every time. He'd never eat (or drink) unless I was home. If I went out, he went right to bed. He slept (or surfed the Internet, we'll never know) until I got home... and then ate and drank.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:36 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,956,437 times
My dog only likes to eat his dog food when we're in the room, and he knows there's nothing going on elsewhere. He will sit all day while we're at work, and when we're eating dinner, he eats his dinner. I have a German shepherd, and they like to be attached to your hip.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:03 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Aw that's sweet. I've never had a dog that did that, but all the dogs I've had seem to not drink water when no one's home. If you come in after being gone all day, after the excited greeting, they run and drink water as if they hadn't had access to any all day. Of course, it's been sitting there the whole time.
Yes! Same thing with Lily and her water bowl.

What was particularly odd about what she did yesterday, was I tossed TWO biscuits (I guess I was feeling generous; I normally give her only one) on the floor. They landed a few feet apart. When I came home they were smack-dab right next to each other, looking very organized and tidy! Haha!

Another thing she does: if I put her in her crate before I leave, and toss a treat in there, she not only doesn't eat it, but she "buries" it! She'll tug on her blanket with her teeth, nudge it with her nose, over and over, until the treat is well covered by that blanket. When we come home, we let her out of the crate, she greets us with licks and excitement, then runs back to her crate to "unbury" the treat and eat it. Amazing to me that she remembers that it's there.

Our theory (joking) is that maybe she thinks, just in case we don't ever come back, she'll have at least one morsel of food left for her survival until she is found!

Last edited by kayanne; 07-21-2014 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-23-2014, 06:48 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,111 times
That is cute. I have a dachshund that will not eat anything unless I am in the room with her. Not treat no food no water. My other doxies will eat or enjoy their treats but they prefer us to be in the room with them also.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:12 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,585,319 times
When Jazz and Dash were alive I hide 6 bones stuffed with some sort of treat when I would go to work, they would find them and only clean about 1/2 out ( but if I stuffed one of those bones the same way when and gave it to them and stayed home they cleaned it out fast) When I got home I would have breakfast ( I work nights) and they would sit and watch me then the minute I put my spoon down and it clinked on the bowl. Jazz would be off and running and one by one she would bring me one of the bones.She would put a bone in my hand and I would poke the remains of the treat out , divide it in half and make them do a trick and give it to them then she would go get the next one. Dash was not allowed to pick one up and give it to me only Jazz could and sometimes she would run around like she could not find the last one yet it would be right in front of me and Dash would be standing near it wiggling his butt and barking every now and then like "here it is Jazz, here it is" but he would not touch it and she would finally get it and give it to me. Jazz invented the game and it became known as the pokey bone game . It has been almost 5 years since Dash died and almost 4 since Jazz died and I still miss the game. It is probably one of the things I miss the most about those two as Jazz started it when she was about 3 and she died at 14.5 so that was a long run for game! If I had a bad night at work I knew I had the pokey bone game to look forward too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs