Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 07:38 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,930,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
My dog did not have the collapsed trachea, so she needed other things, but I still kept giving her the vetri disc because it is good supplement. Hopefully you will find out what is causing your dog to cough. Xrays should give the vets more information.
What was her diagnosis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 08:04 AM

237 posts, read 968,658 times
I went to two different vets and they said he has a mild case of CT. The only test they did was press on his neck and it elicited a quick cough. They said it could stay at the mild stage his whole life. So I wanted to give him a supplement to help it stay at the mild stage and some people suggested Vert disc.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:55 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,888,676 times
lol, someone presses on my throat I cough too, that's about as scientific as throwing a rock...

its nice when vets don't run a bunch of unessicary tests....
but to come to a diagnosis with a single move that will make ANYONE cough is kinda terrifying to me...

Old 09-10-2014, 08:24 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,930,180 times
Well, sometimes in fact MOST TIMES people DECLINE tests as "optional". This is different than a regular GI problem or something.

You can press on your dogs neck and they DO NOT COUGH if they are normal so it's not like their BANGING ON IT or CHOKING them.

In this case, options are limited.

I would NEVER EVER do an endoscopy they are high risk and could make matters worse.

ONLY if it's life or death.

So your options are kind of limited for diagnosis when you compare the RISK of anesthesia, too. It is NOT always visable on an xray and a flouroscopy requires anesthesia. Especially in a small dog and especially IF they have a trachea defect/issue.

Thank you for the update as every anecdotal story is helpful to learn new things. I also wanted to rule out megaesophagus which may look the same at first but usually when eating or drinking or shortly after.

Special Procedure: Fluoroscopy - CVM - VetMedCenter AVID, University of Minnesota

Tracheal Collapse in Dogs: Signs, Causes, and Treatment

Old 01-09-2016, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 654 times
What was the dosage you used for your yorkie? Our little guy is 12 years old, has had these flair ups with his coughing due to trachea weakening, is worse during different allergy seasons. He is about 5 lbs. Seems like this would be a good thing to give a try if it would help! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs