Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 05:12 PM

19,811 posts, read 22,710,079 times

Advertisements

Whoa! I'm not trying to start an argument here. The OP asked about effectiveness of the fence- I responded. I've owned it for 15 years and had multiple breeds!

And a GSD is NOTORIOUSLY responsive to training. That's why they are K-9, battle, bomb-sniffing guarding wonders! You can't say they are not responsive to training because quite frankly they are! They are hard-wired for it!

I've had 3 Basenji's- they are the total polar OPPOSITE of GSD's! Hard headed, independent, strong prey drive etc.. and they were totally fine with the invisible fence!

GSD's
Often used as working dogs, German Shepherds are courageous, keen, alert and fearless. Cheerful, obedient and eager to learn. Tranquil, confident, serious and clever. GSDs are extremely faithful, and brave. They will not think twice about giving their lives for their human pack. They have a high learning ability. German Shepherds love to be close to their families, but can be wary of strangers. This breed needs his people and should not be left isolated for long periods of time. They only bark when they feel it is necessary. Often used as police dogs, the German Shepherd has a very strong protective instinct, and is extremely loyal to its handler

Basenji'sTemperament
Basenjis have a strong prey drive. According to the book The Intelligence of Dogs, they are the second least trainable dog. However, Basenjis are extremely intelligent and respond to training that is consistent and positive with plenty of treats. Basenjis do not respond well to punishment, such as yelling and hitting, which can cause them to utter a warning growl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intelligence_of_Dogs

GSD's are in the top 3 as far as trainability. Basenji's are in the bottom 3!

Last edited by Threerun; 08-13-2014 at 05:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 07:08 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,222,227 times
At my last home, I had 5 acres of our land covered with invis fence and it worked great with my pack of Dobermans.

The only time I had a dog go through was when my male took off after a herd of deer right after it was installed and he was not fully trained on the fence line yet. Fortunately I was out with him he was trained on a verbal recall and came right back. The only reason he ran through it, was because he didn't know about the line yet and wasn't aware.

After they were all trained, I never had a dog go anywhere near the line or attempt to test it.

As far as coyotes...They will normally not mess around with large dogs near a house with humans, unless you are in a heavily populated are where they have become too bold around people and homes.

Coyotes normally work as a pack, sending one coyote in close to lure the dog out farther and farther, where the pack will wait and ambush it. An invis fence, will prevent your dog from being lured out.

Personally I never allowed my small dogs out in an invis fence due to the risk of them being snatched up by anything.

Also, my Dobermans come out of a large kennel that supplies personal protection and police k9s. His Dobes, Malinois and GSDs "Manstoppers" are trained on invis fence and left out to run on his property in a residential area near busy roads. That should give you some idea of how reliable the fence lines are when an animal is properly trained on them.

I used the Pet Safe Professional edition that was hard wired into the house and installed by a professional - Highly recommend..This came with heavy duty collars, signal tones that warn the dog as it approached the line, multiple settings, and other features that the cheap DIY sets don't do.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:22 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,222,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
As for the Berner it did not work at all as she LOVED to lay in the little stream and she was willing to put up with the shock to go in and even come back out. Having seen that convinced me I would never trust my dogs saftey to one of those fences just more risk then I am willing to take with a beloved dog as all it takes is one time and one car.
My guess was that the Berner did not have adequate contact with the probes on the collar. Berners Have incredibly thick coats and long haired or thick coated breeds should have the fur under their neck thinned out or completely shaved to allow collar contact, they also provide collar probes that are extra long to help them make contact through all that hair.

Also, the stimulation level must be adjusted according to the dogs size and sensitivity.

If the above 2 things were in place, the Berner should not ever attempt to lazily walk through the line everyday to lay in a stream. It would of been far too unpleasant the very 1st time he attempted it.

In my experience, most issues are cause by incorrect training or equipment issues due to the owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs