Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 04:32 PM

90 posts, read 330,553 times

Advertisements

I have a question for you...
Mic has a rash on his underside (Chest, belly and peepee), his legs and a few bumps on his back, inside of ears, and top of head. I don't know what it is that caused the rash, it started out like bug bites (but no fleas or ticks). It started yesterday and we gave him two benedryl (sp?) around 11 and then around 9, 3 more (1mg/lb, he weighs 70lbs). It didn't do anything but keep him from itching. Today we have kept him out of the heat, didn't give him any treats (I just bought a new box so I thought there might be something defective in the batch) and still it's not clearing up. He has been eating the same type of food since we got him and he doesn't eat anything other than his food and milk bone treats. I really don't want to take him to the vet because I'm sure they'll give him a steroid shot and that will cost big bucks. That's what they did when he had an allergic reaction to a rawhide treat given to him by my sis. I was thinking I could treat it with something like a cortisone rub or destine or some sort of rash med... what do you think??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 04:50 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,341,597 times
Codie has been having hives. The vet initially said it was probably "an allergic reaction to something." (She was having itching before the hives but without welts.)

She takes hydroxyzine (also 1 mg per pound of body weight) up to 3x per day. She is also taking prednisone (5mg) every other day.

With Codie, I found some masses and I hope to find out the pathology results tomorrow. Mast cell can cause a release of histamine that can cause welts. But I am sure that's not what's happening with your dog. You may want to give him a thorough once-over for growths (you probably already did).

The hydroxyzine really helps, much more so than benedryl. If they continue, I suggest contacting the vet.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:11 PM

I have searched him from nose to tail and can't find anything but little red, hot bumps. He has allergies to a lot of things and lately his sinuses have been acting up. Not sure if there's a connection?
I am waiting to see what happens tomorrow with some different meds and if it doesn't get better I'll run him to the vet.

Thanks for the advice, and good luck with Codie. Mic and I will keep our fingers crossed that it's nothing serious.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:07 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,924,481 times
How old is he and how long have you had him? Our male was allergic to the milk bone treats and peanut butter. Have your tried switching his food? A creme with cortisone should help. Not only stop the itching but help to heal the sores.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:24 AM

Mic is two. We got him at 8 weeks. He has been fed Eukanuba every day of his life. We buy it in a 50 lb bag and the current bag is not new he's been eating it for a month now. He has never reacted to the Milk bone treats before, do you think it could be a new development?? I know that he has had a "homemade" treat that had peanut butter in it... bad, bad, bad rash developed with that one. Poor pup looked like he was Rocky Balboa after a fight.
Last night I gave him three more benadryl. This morning he was still broken out with bumps. The bumps are just like mosquito bites - not pimples. They don't seem to be getting worse quickly, but I have noticed more bumps as time goes on. I'm going to call the vet and see what they say. It would take a lot of cream to cover this baby.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:02 AM

Ok, so I caved in and took Mic to the vet. I couldn't stand seeing him look so pitiful. The vet said that he has a contact allergy. She gave him some meds for the allergy and then some antibiotics so it won't turn to infection if he scratches it.
Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know when he gets better.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,742 times
My 10 month old pit mix has rashes and red sores on the inside of her underbelly and on her one leg . She is out side a lot and loves to lay on our wood pile . We have tried triple ointment on her but still won't go away. She doesn't scratch or itch any suggestions

Old 07-11-2016, 08:55 PM

3,606 posts, read 9,069,961 times
She could have little splinters from the wood or insect bites. However Pitties are notorious for food allergies. You may want to try a high quality, grain free, single meat origin food if you aren't already.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:18 AM

1,166 posts, read 757,054 times
It sounds like a staph infection to me. You will need to go to the vet and get oral antibiotics. You can also use a shampoo with chlorhexidine.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:56 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,385,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostNJax View Post
Ok, so I caved in and took Mic to the vet. I couldn't stand seeing him look so pitiful. The vet said that he has a contact allergy. She gave him some meds for the allergy and then some antibiotics so it won't turn to infection if he scratches it.
Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know when he gets better.
Well, I was going to suggest this once I read your initial post, but see you did wind up taking him to the vet. I do understand not wanting to run to the vet for everything that crops up ($$$ add up very quickly...my recent vet visit for Izzy for annual checkup and vaccines cost me $533.00!!) but it did sound like your were describing an allergic reaction to something...esp. since the Benedryl did stop the itching. (I think that's all Benedryl will do; it's designed to give relief from symptoms of allergies.)

Glad to hear it has (potentially) been resolved. I'm wondering now, can the vet identify what the allergy trigger was, since it's a contact allergy? It would be nice to be able to avoid it in the future if possible. Although...I suspect allergy testing might also cost a huge amount...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs