Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 07:27 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,123,769 times

Advertisements

These are so sweet

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...698709&fref=nf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 12:55 PM

792 posts, read 1,302,701 times
Shudder every time I hear this...Holidays are the absolute worst time to introduce a new family member...the chaos...excitement...seasonal spontaneity...all lead to problems !

I imported GSD's for many years, and would never place an animal over the holiday season, regardless of the buyer's wishes....never !

Introducing a dog into a structured living environment should be a very well planned, thought out process and not some Christmas Day surprise...

I have said many times...there are no "bad" dogs...only owners !

Old 12-29-2014, 12:59 PM

894 posts, read 1,051,291 times
I wonder how many of them will be dumped in the shelter in six months once the kids lose interest and the puppy has outgrown the cute stage.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:03 PM

30,554 posts, read 16,247,641 times
although I understand your concerns, it doesn't look like it'll happen too often here, or there.

Hope not.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:08 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,762,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
Shudder every time I hear this...Holidays are the absolute worst time to introduce a new family member...the chaos...excitement...seasonal spontaneity...all lead to problems !

I imported GSD's for many years, and would never place an animal over the holiday season, regardless of the buyer's wishes....never !

Introducing a dog into a structured living environment should be a very well planned, thought out process and not some Christmas Day surprise...

I have said many times...there are no "bad" dogs...only owners !
Completely agree.

And one poster summed up my thoughts: "You wouldn't put a human baby in a package and give it to your spouse for christmas? Then why the xxxx do you do that xxxx with a cat or dog?"

Old 12-29-2014, 01:32 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,427,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I saw all kinds of videos over the Christmas weekend and I thought, I wonder how many of these sweet babies are given up before the summer because they weren't prepared for how much work they are.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:36 PM

792 posts, read 1,302,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
although I understand your concerns, it doesn't look like it'll happen too often here, or there.

Hope not.
The concerns are very valid and statistic proven, time after time.

I personally detest pet stores...specifically those that sell dogs, to include the idiot backyard breeder that intentionally drops a litter, "just in time for Christmas"....

I have a little grand daughter that loves the mall...every time I take her to the mall she insists on seeing the puppies...God I hate walking into that place, especially around holiday time.

The next time you visit a store as mentioned ...just stop...look Into that defenseless dogs eyes...imagine his or her short past...and uncertain future...Most wind up abandoned, homeless, or in a no kill shelter....what a life !

Last edited by Irish4evr; 12-29-2014 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: Spell

Old 12-29-2014, 04:10 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,123,769 times
I too have been vocal in telling people here and in other places that the holidays are not a good time to gift puppies or any pets. In fact I firmly believe animals as pets should never be given as gifts. It is a personal decision and each person should be able to choose their own pet.

Having said that...the compilation of videos of puppies as gifts brought out so much emotion, especially for the kids. When a child breaks down in tears when presented with a pet I want to think the parents have thought it through and expect a certain level of maturity and responsibility for the care of the pet. And of course we all well know even a pet picked out by a responsible adult not at Christmas can end up neglected and dumped at a shelter.

I'm hoping the giver also included the cost of proper shots and neutering and training.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:58 PM

621 posts, read 1,422,915 times
funny thing, there are now some rescues out there delivering puppies on Christmas! Huh??? Really???

Old 12-29-2014, 05:13 PM

30,554 posts, read 16,247,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
The concerns are very valid and statistic proven, time after time.

I personally detest pet stores...specifically those that sell dogs, to include the idiot backyard breeder that intentionally drops a litter, "just in time for Christmas"....

I have a little grand daughter that loves the mall...every time I take her to the mall she insists on seeing the puppies...God I hate walking into that place, especially around holiday time.

The next time you visit a store as mentioned ...just stop...look Into that defenseless dogs eyes...imagine his or her short past...and uncertain future...Most wind up abandoned, homeless, or in a no kill shelter....what a life !
never said the concerns aren't valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs