Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 01:31 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,396,566 times

Advertisements

I've heard a lot of people say that male dogs are more affectionate and like to snuggle more. When I think about, that has kind of been true of my personal experience, but I'm not sure what I think for sure. Anyone else have any thoughts on this and why it might be true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 01:37 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,049,564 times
I used to think this about cats, but the two girls I have right now have blown that theory out of the water......

dogs.... hhhmmmm.... my personal experience is that Bailey (F), Dave(M), and Chico (M) are all very lovey and clingy.... all three could be qualified as velcro dogs, with Dave and Chico holding a slight edge over Bailey.... and Roxie (F) is the most independent of them all.... she will accept affection on HER terms only....

Old 02-18-2015, 01:39 PM

350 posts, read 478,420 times
Not true. Have had plenty of both and some are, some aren't. I personally have experienced closer bonds with my girls.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:10 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,306,864 times
I've never had female dogs - only males. I have one right now that is on me like glue whenever I'm home. I recently came back from being away for several days and you'd have thought I'd been gone a year - he pounced on me and practically sat on my head in an effort to get as close to me as possible. *lol*

Old 02-18-2015, 02:17 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,335,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I've never had female dogs - only males. I have one right now that is on me like glue whenever I'm home. I recently came back from being away for several days and you'd have thought I'd been gone a year - he pounced on me and practically sat on my head in an effort to get as close to me as possible. *lol*
And I had a female dog that would act like that if I had been away for any length of time, such as going to the other room to feach a cup of tea or to the back alley to take out the garbage. My other female dog would either greet me extremely enthusiastic or not bother to get up just give me a nod.

When we dog sat a friend's dog my first female and one of his male dogs would compete to see who could get closer to me, which was not a good idea when one is walking.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:36 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,600,334 times
I have not noticed a difference in my relationship to my dogs be they male of female but I have noticed my neutered boys have tended to get along better with any other dogs and sort of have the I am a lover not a fighter attitude while my spayed girls are more likely to challenge other dogs........." did you just call me a b---h? I will show you a B---h!" My boys loved everyone and would rather run away then fight but the girls would rather fight then run away so would stand up for them selves. The only female that was not that way was Phoenix. She was the homozygous Merle border collie born deaf with limited vision and and extra sweet gene as even my vet claims he has never met a dog as sweet as she was, she was special.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:43 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,772,350 times
Generally, and this is a HUGE generalization, I think male dogs tend to be closer to female owners and female dogs tend to be closer to male owners BUT there will be many, many exceptions to this. I really think it depends on the dog.

I do agree with the above post in that females (IMO spayed and unspayed) tend to be very willing to challenge another female and if they fight, it usually ends up being a serious one.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:11 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,239,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I have not noticed a difference in my relationship to my dogs be they male of female but I have noticed my neutered boys have tended to get along better with any other dogs and sort of have the I am a lover not a fighter attitude while my spayed girls are more likely to challenge other dogs........." did you just call me a b---h? I will show you a B---h!" My boys loved everyone and would rather run away then fight but the girls would rather fight then run away so would stand up for them selves. The only female that was not that way was Phoenix. She was the homozygous Merle border collie born deaf with limited vision and and extra sweet gene as even my vet claims he has never met a dog as sweet as she was, she was special.
You just described my Tuck and Taffy (nuetered and spayed). Taffy is better with people, Tuck is better with dogs!

Tuck likes to be in my lap for about 1/2 hour per day to get his "love" fix, but is otherwise rather independent. He hangs around, but basically, if I am in sight, that's good enough.

Taffy doesn't like to be in my lap, but always has a paw or her head touching me. She's more of a velcro dog, but NOT a snuggler!

Old 02-18-2015, 03:24 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,593,660 times
Not true.

Some dogs are more affectionate and cuddly than others. Gender isn't the reason. As I sit here with my little female Chi/mix who is as close as she can get to my lap and would prefer to be attached to me 24/7 if she could.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:16 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,396,566 times
Well, my elderly female border collie (14) is completely devoted to me on one level. She wants to be near me at all times. I work from home and she is rarely more than 5 feet away from me at any given time.

That said, she prefers to sleep on the floor, and even when she sleeps in the bed, she is laying on the far corner of the bed. I don't move around a lot once I fall asleep, so it's not because I'm annoying her. When I leave she is terribly upset for up to 24 hours, and then she transfers her affections to whoever is watching her. She's VERY happy when i come home, but she'd clearly be fine without me.

My male border collie (now deceased) was not quite so "velcro" when I was working, but he was always right there when I was sacked out on the couch or in bed. RIGHTTHERE. lol. My Catahoula is the same way. He just wants to be snuggled up with me when I'm at rest. And yes, it's borderline ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs