Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 02:07 PM

4 posts, read 3,324 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I'm in college and my dog has always played and wrestled with me when I came over. Recently I had to leave town for a month and a half. So my last day at home was Christmas. My dog was normal then. Today I came home and my dog was scared of me it seemed. She hid and wouldn't come out. Why would this be? It makes me feel terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 01:17 PM

107 posts, read 153,031 times
I know if may sound funny, but if you changed your facial hair (grew a bunch or shaved it all off) - even wearing sunglasses or a hat can sometimes confuse our pets. One of our pups didn't recognize my boyfriend recently after he dramatically changed his appearance...it took her a while to calm down and approach him.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:25 PM

That may be it. I did have some facial hair. Maybe it was a bad day for her. Hopefully when I come back to her again she will be better.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:13 PM

107 posts, read 153,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krocken729 View Post
That may be it. I did have some facial hair. Maybe it was a bad day for her. Hopefully when I come back to her again she will be better.
A pocketful of yummy treats might speed up the process. I hope you have a nice visit with your furry friend!

Old 02-17-2015, 08:44 PM

7,409 posts, read 12,757,736 times
Maybe you smell different--a new soap? New aftershave? Or perhaps you gave off a scent of agitation, or some hormones the dog doesn't associate with you?

Fascinating article about dogs' ability to smell:
How a Dog Actually “Sees” the World Through Smell | Brain Pickings

Watch the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=p7fXa2Occ_U

Old 02-17-2015, 08:56 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,167,863 times
Your dog may also be mad at you for deserting her. Dogs have feelings, too. You left for a long time and now you want things to just be exactly as before. She needs time and attention from you. You said you "visit" - does that mean you are no longer living in the house? If so, she might be distancing herself from the pain of repeatedly losing you.

One more consideration: is your dog a senior? She may not be well.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:03 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,247,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Your dog may also be mad at you for deserting her. Dogs have feelings, too. You left for a long time and now you want things to just be exactly as before. She needs time and attention from you. You said you "visit" - does that mean you are no longer living in the house? If so, she might be distancing herself from the pain of repeatedly losing you.

One more consideration: is your dog a senior? She may not be well.
I think the dog is upset you were gone and is showing displeasure. There could be other reasons for the behavior too, but I think it is displeasure.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:29 AM

7,409 posts, read 12,757,736 times
Krocken, after re-reading your post I'm also thinking there may be something wrong with your dog. You call her"your" dog, but you don't live at home. That sounds to me as if you grew up with her/have had her while you lived at home, and now you haven't lived with your parents for a while (and she is not your responsibility). So she could be a senior by now, and her memory might be affected for some reason. I hope not--the best case scenario would be that she is punishing you for being gone. In that case she'll snap out of it. Let us know how she behaves during your next visit.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:41 AM

I got her over the summer and spent all summer and most fall with her. My dad takes care of her when I'm not there. She's not a senior because she isn't even 2 yet. She is probably upset I've been gone for so long.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:02 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,304,972 times
Yet we've all seen videos of soldiers deployed for over a year coming home to joyous dogs so it doesn't seem like the length of time would be a factor. Same thing for lost dogs finally reunited with their people. I'll bet it was something physical about you. Our dogs bark and back away if we have on sunglasses, funny hats or gloves and especially hoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs