Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 01:32 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,594,275 times

Advertisements

Greetings my name is Merlyn son of Goat & Camel.
I am a 1 year old Lab/Pit mix. I was taken away from my mother at 5 weeks of age causing me to have MAJOR separation anxiety. My parents use a harness for walks & have recently starting have me wear T-shirts; also using a blend of essential oils to help calm me.
Although all of these are helping to some degree my anxiety is still very intense. Just the other day my parents took me hiking & I cried because they had me all the way in the very back seat.
Any ideas that might help? Please help me I am bored.
Attached Thumbnails
Hello, my name is Merlyn.-new-phone-pics-019.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 02:00 PM

30,407 posts, read 23,874,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I am a 1 year old Lab/Pit mix. I was taken away from my mother at 5 weeks of age causing me to have MAJOR separation anxiety. My parents use a harness for walks & have recently starting have me wear T-shirts; also using a blend of essential oils to help calm me.
Although all of these are helping to some degree my anxiety is still very intense. Just the other day my parents took me hiking & I cried because they had me all the way in the very back seat.
I fully expect that you will get some fantastic ideas from some of the regulars here...I know I have.

One way that I've learned to deal with separation anxiety in the car is to involve them in the trip. Doesn't matter if it's a five minute drive or a much longer drive, I involve them.

I moved 1700 miles away, they were in the backseat the whole time. I pointed out landmarks, or I would declare what state we were now in every time we crossed a state line. I made them a part of the journey. I did not sit up front, driving, and ignore them. I talked to them constantly, as if they were people. Of course they didn't understand what I was saying, but I didn't baby them, I didn't tell them "sshhh", I didn't say, "awww, it's okay doggie", I just talked to them like you would talk to anyone else sitting in the car.

"Dogs! We're in South Carolina now! Take it all in, guys! Oooh, did you see that sign? If you litter you can land in jail! No littering, dogs!"

As ridiculous as that sounds, it kept them calm the entire way. I tried to make that trip as exciting as possible for them.

Around town, where I now live, I take them with me when I have a to take the trash to the dump. They view that as the highlight of their week, because I make it fun for them. It's not just where we are going, it's the entire journey there that is part of their adventure.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:12 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,078,495 times
I transport rescue dogs, many of whom are pretty nervous, and Three Wolves suggestion of talking to them in the car is a good one.... many of my passengers will pay close attention to me and seem to really be trying to understand what I am talking about..... and it really dials down the nervousness......

as far as dealing with S.A. at home, I will defer to those who have experience with it.....

and Merlyn, you are one HANDSOME fella!! and really lucky to have people who want to help you feel more safe and secure!!

Old 12-29-2014, 07:46 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,997,333 times
Quote:
What a handsome boy- that face looks so expressive.

Separation anxiety- keep all comings and goings very matter of fact and low-key. Absolutely no goodbyes, kisses on the head, or love you/see you laters when you leave just leave. When you come back home ignore him for the first few minutes, then very low key say hellos. It takes time- must nip this in the bud before it gets worse. Do you crate him when you are gone? Randomly put him in crate with kong so that when you leave, he doesn't associate it with going in crate. Randomly put on your coat, pick up your keys, go out the door then come right back in again. Mix it up so that there isn't a routine for him to become anxious about.

A couple of thoughts on the generalized anxiety-
have you tried DAP/Dog Appeasing Pheromone either in the diffuser or spray? The diffuser can take a couple of weeks to work- not sure why, but I have been told the spray has an immediate effect. For my dogs, it seems to take the edge off the anxiety.

Melatonin also works for works- the same kind people use as a sleep aid- just the basic kind, no time release or anything. I give the 3 or 5 mg. about an hour before I anticipate a stressful event, e.g. I give it to my storm phobic border collie about an hour before a storm is predicted.

Shen Calm- my vet who is also a traditional Chinese herbal practitioner swears by this. The Chi Institute sells it, not sure if you need a prescription to get it from them. You can also buy it through Amazon, but not sure if it is the same formula.

Good work on the harness and t-shirts

Cars- do you have a sense of his upset? Is it the car moving? Does he get car sick? Is he loose in the back of the car? If so, have you tried him in a crate?

This exercise has always worked well for me-
Treat the rear of the car like a crate- will Merlyn get into the car voluntarily? If so, ask him to get in the car and give several high value treats, then ask him to get out of the car, but do NOT treat for getting out. Repeat- this several times, invite him into the car and give several more high value treats, then again ask him to get out of the car, but do NOT treat. This is the exercise- treat when he gets in the car, no treat when he jumps out. After a few repetitions, don't ask him to do anything- let him choose- does he want to be in the car and get a treat or does he want to just hang outside the car and not get a treat.
At this point he will get frustrated and this is ok- let him use his brain and think- what is it that got him the treat last time? I bet he will figure it out and jump in the car on his own- hooray- treat freely. Let him hang out in the car just being very relaxed, no pressure, it is all good whatever he does at this point let him choose to either be in the car or not, but he only gets a treat when he is in the car
You may be tempted to throw a treat into the car to tempt him to get into it- that is ok, but don't keep luring him, let him use the brain and figure out what gets him what he wants.
This first session should be short 3-4 minutes at most and keep it upbeat and fun. If he doesn't get it during this first session that is ok, end it on a high note and try the exercise again in a couple of hours.

Once he gets this exercise, repeat it but this time turn the car on but don't move it, just let it idle in place while you work the exercise with him. Continue working at this level until he is comfortable, loose and wiggly and excited about getting the treats. It may take several sessions and a couple of days- that is fine- just let him work at his comfort level.

Next step- turn car on, open door, let him jump in- treat and close the car door- immediately open the door- you aren't going to leave it shut, just shut and then open again- then treat him- so, he jumps into the running car-treat-close door/open immediately-treat again. Again, work this level until he is comfortable with it.

How is he doing? Is he staying happy or tensing up? Any tensing up, tail tucking, or head going down with ears back = you are moving too quickly, let him set the pace. When he is ready, start leaving the door shut for longer times- 10 seconds- open and treat; then 1 minute, 2 minutes, 5 minutes, etc. You get the idea. When the door is shut you will just hang out until you are ready to open the door.

Slowly progress with the time he is in the car- do rehearsals= open door, he jumps in, shut door, you get in car, then reverse. Once he is comfortable with that, drive down the block, slowly increase distance.

When he is in the back of the car, give him a peanut butter stuffed kong or bully stick to keep him distracted.
Once he is comfortable with the car, you will want to incorporate a release word into this exercise to let him know that it is safe for him to exit the car.

I hope this works. Sounds like Merlyn is a lucky boy.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:23 PM

[quote=twelvepaw;37815500]What a handsome boy- that face looks so expressive.

We took his picture one too many times one morning & he didn't look happy about it.

Separation anxiety- keep all comings and goings very matter of fact and low-key. Absolutely no goodbyes, kisses on the head, or love you/see you laters when you leave just leave. When you come back home ignore him for the first few minutes, then very low key say hellos. It takes time- must nip this in the bud before it gets worse. Do you crate him when you are gone? Randomly put him in crate with kong so that when you leave, he doesn't associate it with going in crate. Randomly put on your coat, pick up your keys, go out the door then come right back in again. Mix it up so that there isn't a routine for him to become anxious about.

Yes, we do crate him if we didn't he would eat everything the couch, TV, well you get the point. Not to mention the 12 year old he won't leave her alone she can't fight him off anymore.

have you tried DAP/Dog Appeasing Pheromone either in the diffuser or spray? The diffuser can take a couple of weeks to work- not sure why, but I have been told the spray has an immediate effect. For my dogs, it seems to take the edge off the anxiety.

Melatonin also works for works- the same kind people use as a sleep aid- just the basic kind, no time release or anything. I give the 3 or 5 mg. about an hour before I anticipate a stressful event, e.g. I give it to my storm phobic border collie about an hour before a storm is predicted.

Shen Calm- my vet who is also a traditional Chinese herbal practitioner swears by this. The Chi Institute sells it, not sure if you need a prescription to get it from them. You can also buy it through Amazon, but not sure if it is the same formula.

My wife is an herbalist so she should be able to find the Shen Calm never tried Melatonin.
it's easy enough to get though. We have had tried other lotions & such but they tend not to last long. He's fine getting in & out of the car he knows once he gets in that we are going some place, dog park, hiking, etc. Once he is in & we're moving then he starts to whine we have a Subaru Forester & if we don't put him in the very back he will make his way to the front seat & climb into the passenger seat. No matter if it's empty or someone is in it.
The harness & the T-shirts keep him from pulling my wife and dragging her all over the place.
He is getting better about bolting of his crate when he first comes out... now if we can get him to stop running all over the house. That's yet another issue. He's very smart but all this can wear on us. Hence the help.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:37 PM

[quote=reed067;37816456]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post

We took his picture one too many times one morning & he didn't look happy about it.

Yes, we do crate him if we didn't he would eat everything the couch, TV, well you get the point. Not to mention the 12 year old he won't leave her alone she can't fight him off anymore.

My wife is an herbalist so she should be able to find the Shen Calm never tried Melatonin.
it's easy enough to get though. We have had tried other lotions & such but they tend not to last long. He's fine getting in & out of the car he knows once he gets in that we are going some place, dog park, hiking, etc. Once he is in & we're moving then he starts to whine we have a Subaru Forester & if we don't put him in the very back he will make his way to the front seat & climb into the passenger seat. No matter if it's empty or someone is in it.
The harness & the T-shirts keep him from pulling my wife and dragging her all over the place.
He is getting better about bolting of his crate when he first comes out... now if we can get him to stop running all over the house. That's yet another issue. He's very smart but all this can wear on us. Hence the help.
Your dog should be restrained while you are driving. Anything can happen, and I've seen accidents where dogs were lying in the middle of the road, having been thrown from the car. Don't do that to your dog.

As for bolting out of the crate, teach your dog to sit and wait in the crate. When you open, have your hand on the door of the crate. If he starts to bolt, close the gate. No, you don't slam it on him, you simply close it back up...you will see that your dog is starting to move. Tell him to sit, tell him to wait. You should work up to where you can open the crate door, step back, and your dog will sit there and look at you until you tell him he can come out. Use whatever reward works...whether that's food or a toy, when he does it right. Dogs should never bolt out of anywhere.

If he's running all over the house, he needs more exercise. Take him on longer walks, take him to areas where he can really run and stretch his legs. Take him swimming, (if he likes water), take him on a run. Your dog should not be tearing around your house - he should be doing that outside.

Get a trainer and teach your dog to heel while on walks. It's very time consuming, as anything in training is, but if you are consistent and persevere, the rewards are worth it. (You can also find wonderful videos on YouTube for heeling training. Avoid the ones that say you need a choke or prong collar.)

You also might want to find the videos called "It's Yer Choice". This will teach your dog impulse control.

I'm curious how you react when your dog starts throwing a fit when you leave or put him in the back of the car.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:49 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,997,333 times
[quote=reed067;37816456]
Quote:

He's fine getting in & out of the car he knows once he gets in that we are going some place, dog park, hiking, etc. Once he is in & we're moving then he starts to whine we have a Subaru Forester & if we don't put him in the very back he will make his way to the front seat & climb into the passenger seat. No matter if it's empty or someone is in it.
So, with the car you still need to start from scratch- work the exercises I gave you, but use them with a crate you put in the back of the Subaru. A couple of things may be happening- the movement of the car and seeing the scenery move by may disorient him; he may be reacting to people or dogs he sees outside the car; he may feel "insecure"/frightened.
Putting him a hard sided crate will help resolve these possible issues- from what you have said, it is the next logical step to try. You should be able to get a good-sized crate in the back of the car. Use the exercises I gave you to acclimate him to jump into the crate in this new situation.
The crate will "protect" him from being overwhelmed by everything he sees flying by him when you are driving, as well as give him a safe place where he can feel secure.
Again, give him something he can gnaw on while in crate to help distract him.

If he cries while in the car crate be very matter of fact- talk to your SO, carry on as you normally would. It may comfort him to hear your voice, so talk to him but no big fussing and keep it very low-key. Find a neutral phrase to tell him- when my girl feels overwhelmed I just tell her "you are safe, come hang out with me" but any neutral phrase you choose will be fine.

Yes! Three Wolves absolutely correct The Its Yer Choice exercise is an awesome way (the best way I think) to teach him self-control. The same woman-Susan Garrett-who began using it as a structured training tool also put out a dvd called Crate Games. It is about $30 but worth every penny, and I promise you, will teach your dog about so much more than "just" learning to love his crate.
Here is a link to Its Yer Choice- there are several videos; some are with pretty bad trainers, but this video has a good trainer and a good explanation of the exercise and it touches on crate games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipT5k1gaXhc

Why are you using a t-shirt to keep Merlyn from pulling your wife around? My thought was that you were using it to help with the anxiety- which a tight t-shirt may do.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:37 AM

[quote=Three Wolves In Snow;37817513][quote=reed067;37816456]

Your dog should be restrained while you are driving. Anything can happen, and I've seen accidents where dogs were lying in the middle of the road, having been thrown from the car. Don't do that to your dog.

We do keep him restrained in the very back otherwise he would be in the front seat if he's able.

As for bolting out of the crate, teach your dog to sit and wait in the crate. When you open, have your hand on the door of the crate. If he starts to bolt, close the gate. No, you don't slam it on him, you simply close it back up...you will see that your dog is starting to move. Tell him to sit, tell him to wait. You should work up to where you can open the crate door, step back, and your dog will sit there and look at you until you tell him he can come out. Use whatever reward works...whether that's food or a toy, when he does it right. Dogs should never bolt out of anywhere.

He's getting better about bolting out of his crate of late. But he still wants to run though the house like he's possessed.

If he's running all over the house, he needs more exercise. Take him on longer walks, take him to areas where he can really run and stretch his legs. Take him swimming, (if he likes water), take him on a run. Your dog should not be tearing around your house - he should be doing that outside.

We take him hiking & to he dog park a lot he runs his arse off at the park hiking is another thing we do let him run if we can find a trail where no one is on. He does good & he stays right with us all the time. He's too scared to let us out of his sight. Guessing that the separation anxiety.

Get a trainer and teach your dog to heel while on walks. It's very time consuming, as anything in training is, but if you are consistent and persevere, the rewards are worth it. (You can also find wonderful videos on YouTube for heeling training. Avoid the ones that say you need a choke or prong collar.)

Trainers are very expensive & with my wife not working full time that would be impossible right now, but I will check out the videos.

You also might want to find the videos called "It's Yer Choice". This will teach your dog impulse control.

I'm curious how you react when your dog starts throwing a fit when you leave or put him in the back of the car.

He doesn't throw a fit when he gets into the car only once we start moving & he wants to be closer to us then being stuck in the back. We try to give him something to play with sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:

He's getting better about bolting out of his crate of late. But he still wants to run though the house like he's possessed.
The crate exercise should be an every day thing. He doesn't come out until he sits and waits. He'll get it very quickly.

Quote:
We take him hiking & to he dog park a lot he runs his arse off at the park hiking is another thing we do let him run if we can find a trail where no one is on. He does good & he stays right with us all the time. He's too scared to let us out of his sight. Guessing that the separation anxiety.
The massive amounts of exercise should be daily.

Quote:
Trainers are very expensive & with my wife not working full time that would be impossible right now, but I will check out the videos.
Trainers do not have to be very expensive. Try looking around, you might be surprised.

Quote:
He doesn't throw a fit when he gets into the car only once we start moving & he wants to be closer to us then being stuck in the back. We try to give him something to play with sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
So take him on short runs around the block. Do that several times. Up the amount of time he's in the car, go two blocks, then three, etc.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Why are you using a t-shirt to keep Merlyn from pulling your wife around? My thought was that you were using it to help with the anxiety- which a tight t-shirt may do.

We're guessing that it helps him feel safe like those thunder shirts for dogs who are scared thunder & such. But yes, he doesn't pull with his harness on or a T shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs