Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 04:35 PM

5 posts, read 93,312 times

Advertisements

I got a puppy from the shelter and the next day get a call saying he may have ringworm, one of his litter mates tested positive. I couldn't get him to our vet until the next day so I started on xylecide shampoo by Happy Jack, which says it is used in the treatment and prevention of ringworm and many other skin disorders. I also stated using an antifungal cream on the suspected spots that I could find. He is also being kept away from the other pets in the house at this point for fear of them catching it too. The next day we go to the vet and I was told that it did look like ringworm and there was really no sense in doing a culture because it would take two weeks to get results back and by then the puppy would either be better or way worse if we didn't treat it as ringworm anyway, so save my money and continue treating it as ringworm with the things u was already using. I also have cleaned the entire house everyday since we found out with Barbicide, sprayed it on the carpets, furniture, beds, everything that I couldn't throw into the washing machine. The puppy is still in isolation after five days of treatment and just wants so bad to be with his new family. The vet seems to think it is not a big deal if I let him have the run of the house but from what I have read online he is still contagious for three weeks even after all him lesions heal. Is that true, or can I let him out of the room and play with his new brothers and sister? I have been really stressed out over this and already given this puppy a bath in the medicated shampoo everyday when I wake up and also given the other pets in the house a bath twice with the same shampoo. I can't keep doing this to this poor little guy, the rest of our pets and myself. I'm totally freaked out and keep reading many things online that contradict each other and what my vet thinks about the situation. When will he stop being contagious and start to become a part of our family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 04:47 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
Spray on Iodine works but u & the walls & everything else may turn blue LOL ... Not long a couple of weeks. I would not mess with Happy Jack its a joke! Get Spray iodine & use it 2 times a day! for about 2 weeks. Then have the vet check him to be sure. Test consists of the vet checking his skin under a special light

Old 01-11-2015, 05:01 PM

Thank you for the reply! I have been using the happy jack since we suspected ringworm, so you think my whole house is contaminated with ringworm spores since it is a joke? I really wish the vet would have told me that when I showed him what I have been using. That means everything I have done to control this has been for nothing and that really upsets me. Would you suggest that I spray the iodine on all my animals so that they don't get it too? If so how often? Do you think it is a must to keep the puppy separate from the other animals in the house once I start the iodine spray or will that kill it enough to be able to allow the puppy to run around and not risk giving it to all of us? This poor puppy has made himself hoarse from crying so much because he just wants to be with us and be loved. I'm not sure I have the heart to keep him in a separate room for another two weeks but I sure don't want to risk giving it to my other pets or myself. I just keep reading so many different things online and just don't know what it true and what is exaggerated. My vet just seems to think its not a big deal and wouldnt even do a ringworm test because he said it would take too long to get results and by then it would be too late so to treat it as ringworm anyway with shampoo and antifungal cream. I'm driving myself crazy by cleaning so much and changing my clothes every time I have to go in the room with the puppy to change his training pads and feed and play with him as much as I can. The puppy's sores have changed from red and raised to just looking like regular pink skin with no scales does that mean he is healing and is no longer contagious? Thanks for any input!

Old 01-11-2015, 05:50 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
Must keep him Away for the other inc your self for 2-3 weeks & Wear Gloves! No don't treat unless you see sores. You don't need to dip him just spray the sores.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:46 PM

Thank you! I was hoping to hear you say once his sores are not red and scaly any longer he is no longer contagious, as they are just pinky normal skin now, but we will do what we have to I guess. Poor guy....I just hate him crying all the time he has been with us, because he wants to be loved on. It is very heart breaking, but so is this whole thing getting out of control and infecting everyone in the house.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:05 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,053,341 times
Bring a Certified Vet Tech, I can chime in. First of all, ringworm is a fungus. Yes, it is contagious, but it's harder to catch than you think. For yourself, just wash your hands and arms well after handling the puppy. We recommend the puppy have limited to exposure to other pets in the house for the first 2-3 weeks of treatment. (Lyme dip) I'm not familiar with Happy Jack. I'm sure, if the vet approved it, it is an anti fungal and will work fine. It's usually by close contact that it gets passed on. Puppies and kittens are more susceptible to getting ringworm because or their immune system being low. Dogs and cats can become carriers for the rest of their lives and never show symptoms. It's not the end of the world if the other pet gets it either, they can easily be treated. Same goes for you. To the OP, you are doing your best to prevent it. There is no need to bathe the other pets unless they are showing symptoms. Wash the bedding the puppy sleeps on daily, vacuum daily and clean the area thoroughly where the puppy stays. You can use a little bleach mixed with water or the Barbicide you have been using. Relax, yes it needs to be addressed, but no need to stress yourself out over it

Old 01-11-2015, 07:18 PM

Oh yay! Thank you for answering. What I need to do is stop googling ringworm on the Internet, because it is freaking me out more than anything. I'm glad to have another professional opinion and have just been worried sick about this getting out of hand. Im a little OCD to begin with, so just knowing this is in my house doesn't make me happy. I have let the puppy out if his room for a little bit today since he just had a bath with the antifungal shampoo. I'm just curious if you know if his sores are back to just being pinky smooth skin instead of red scaly patches, does that mean he is responding to the shampoo and I should just keep using it? Luckily the other animals in the house haven't really wanted to have much to do with him because they haven't had the chance to get to know him and they kind of run from him when he is out of his room. Also since I am shampooing him almost daily does that mean whatever hair he does shed is not going to have the fungus on it, which will keep environmental contamination down as well? I'm just ready for him to be able to be a puppy and get all the love he deserves.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartw84 View Post
Oh yay! Thank you for answering. What I need to do is stop googling ringworm on the Internet, because it is freaking me out more than anything. I'm glad to have another professional opinion and have just been worried sick about this getting out of hand. Im a little OCD to begin with, so just knowing this is in my house doesn't make me happy. I have let the puppy out if his room for a little bit today since he just had a bath with the antifungal shampoo. I'm just curious if you know if his sores are back to just being pinky smooth skin instead of red scaly patches, does that mean he is responding to the shampoo and I should just keep using it? Luckily the other animals in the house haven't really wanted to have much to do with him because they haven't had the chance to get to know him and they kind of run from him when he is out of his room. Also since I am shampooing him almost daily does that mean whatever hair he does shed is not going to have the fungus on it, which will keep environmental contamination down as well? I'm just ready for him to be able to be a puppy and get all the love he deserves.
If the patches are going from scaly to pink patches with hair growing back, it's clearing up. It sounds like the medicated shampoo is doing the job. I can't for sure say that he isn't shedding the fungus anymore. I will just say, continue vacuuming on a daily basis, clean the bedding and area he sleeps for the next 2 weeks. Most likely, now that the sores are healed and not open, he's almost cleared up.

PS: Glad you adopted a puppy from the shelter. Good luck with your new puppy

Old 01-11-2015, 07:47 PM

Awesome. Thanks so much for your input!

Old 01-11-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartw84 View Post
Awesome. Thanks so much for your input!
You're welcome Keep us updated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs