Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 01:57 PM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times

Advertisements

My German shorthaired pointer male is named 'Schnitzel von Nacho' (because I got to name him, and I like schnitzels ). My female is 'Double Dutch von Pretty Prairie'

Our female basenji is name 'Chloe'. My recently departed female blue tick coonhound was named 'Blue'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 09:59 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Diamond Jubilee is named after the celebration of the Queens 60 year reign. {red poodle}

Chantilly Lace is named thus because she is so beautiful. Black poodle and one of Jubi's puppies.

Eve Roseline is named that for no reason I can remember. {Red poodle}

Chico is a little rescue that we named Chico because of the Mexican guy we got him from in Alabama.

FiFa is an apricot poodle who was born during the world cup last summer.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:27 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,963 times
Ninja got her name because I always wanted to have a dog named Ninja, and she was my first dog that I was able to name.

Tangent got her name as a compromise. I wanted to name her something sciency and my fiancee wanted to name her something from song lyrics. We settled on an 'official' name of Tangent Irene, but my fiance calls her Tangerine. Tangent doesn't seem to mind the discrepancy.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:29 AM

49 posts, read 74,332 times
Default My Dogs are Always Named ....with Meaning !!

My first dog was Scooby Doo a Mountain Cur/ Lab Cross from a feral mother, he was a big dog, very protective. I named him Scooby cause I was 3 and that was my favorite show... My mom found him with his 15 brothers and sisters in rural Savannah Ga when she was visiting her best friend for a few weeks, they were driving back to her friends fathers farm and hit the breaks when they saw a bunch of puppies huddled in the middle of the road. My mom and her friend scooped up the smaller pups that were too scared to run and went to the house, her friend got her father and other family members to round up the larger pups that ran off into the woods, my mom picked one of the small pups he had to be only 4 to 5 weeks old really young, she brought him back on the plane on her lap, fast forward a year later the dog was 100 plus pounds of muscle and was a wonderful family dog, he was crazy protective though. Sadly when I was 6 he ran away and never returned or that's the story my parents gave me, it could have been a lie and they could have killed him, he did attack some guy on a bike really bad so I have no idea.

Lucky was my second dog and named after her Big Brother ( Lucky), her story goes, I was very upset still over losing Scooby and my mom, grandma and me were going to Shoprite to get some grocery's, well guess what was in the front of Shoprite? A Shopping Basket full of 6 puppies for sale for $3.00 ( yeah I know can't find that anymore ) I got so excited I almost had a stroke... My mom was like we will look at them when we get out of the store, so you can imagine how annoying I was rushing her out of the store lol.. well then she brought me over to the kids selling the pups, the puppies were Elkhound/Shepherd crosses, Very good looking dogs, they looked really young too maybe 6 weeks... I picked up the biggest boy and the teenagers said his name was Lucky... I wanted him but my mom said what about the little one.. They said the little one was the runt of the litter and the only female, she was literally half the size of her brothers... Her name was Baby for obvious reasons... I thought she was special because she was the only female in the litter and the smallest, so I said yeah lets get her, I remember my grandma saying that we were crazy or something ( she didn't think we needed a dog) as we walked to the car with the little puppy my mom asked what did I want to name her, I said I wanted to name her after her big brother Lucky because she was lucky that we picked her, I loved that dog with every fiber of my being, and when she got killed by a car 2 days before Christmas in 1991 a piece of me shattered and died with her... even now writing about it makes me cry....

Blacky was my third dog and Lucky's son, When Lucky was a year and a half or so she got knocked up by my Aunts dog Digger, she had 6 male puppies ( yup all boys) I kept the first born and smartest pup, he was a beautiful soul, loved being around people, he jumped out of a 2nd story window one time when we were all out front and he was somehow locked up by accident in an upstairs bedroom.. he didn't even injure himself.. scared the crap outta everyone seeing a black ball of fur flying through the air...I named him Blacky because he was all black except for the rusty tan paws, and eyebrows. I didn't even get to see him grow into a beautiful adult dog sadly, he was killed by a car at 8 months old, my stupid father had this idea dogs should run loose and be free to roam at night, and since I was a kid with no say I pretty much couldn't do anything about it, my dad would let the dogs loose every night and they usually came back but that morning as I got ready for school ( I was in third grade) I opened the front door like I always did to let Lucky and Blacky in and only Lucky was there with her head down and her eyes glassed like she was crying ( not kidding ) I said what's wrong with you, and she just walked slowly into the house and jumped up on the recliner in a massive state of depression... I was so naive I didn't even assume something happened to Blacky, I yelled out the door for him a few more times and he never showed, so I just thought he was still running around. I got ready for school and took the bus, well on the bus some scumbag kids started laughing and yelling hey there's a dead dog !!! one of them recognized that it was my dog so they all started singing it's Vanessa's dog haaa haaa your dog's dead .. laughing and singing ( the bus driver did nothing ) I tried to walk to the back of the bus to see if I could see the dead dog near the highway but the bus was going to fast, so I had no choice to sit back down, I got to school and the overwhelming horror of what if it was Blacky crept into my mind, I couldn't stand it I went to the nurses office and wanted to call home, of course my parents were both working at the time and they couldn't get a hold of anyone, I had to sit in the nurses office all day because I was an emotional wreck, went home on the bus ran to the side of the yard where my dad would tie the dogs up during the day and only Lucky was there, so my heart sunk and I knew Blacky had to be the dead dog on the highway. I brought Lucky in the house and cuddled with her crying... later my dad came home and told me that Blacky had gotten killed, and showed me where he and my uncle buried him near his favorite tree in the back yard. I was devastated... but very happy I still had Lucky.

I am going to stop at my first three dogs for now because if I don't I will be here till the sun comes up writing about my dogs I have had and the dog's I have now... here is the list of names that will be next ..Smokey, Cisco, Arrow, Dakota, Jack Daniels(JD), Sasha,Marley, and Denali .....

Old 01-29-2015, 01:07 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I keep my dogs' shelter/adoption names unless they're really awful.

My ten-pound white tornado was named "Monsta" and he was a handful. I renamed him Dusty because he looked like a dust mop.

My yellow lab/Sharpei mix came to me as "Marshmallow." No way. Every time I looked at his dents and wrinkles on his face, I'd say, "You have a lot of sharpies," and hence he became "Sharpie." (He has a yellow lab body and a Sharpei head- looks like it was screwed on).

Great stories about names!

Old 01-29-2015, 01:44 PM

807 posts, read 1,353,981 times
Named my Doberman Rebel.

The reason behind it is he was the only red left in the litter and when I went to see him a couple times while he was still with his siblings, he would often wander off by himself. So he just seemed a little rebellious I guess.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:52 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,428,276 times
We named our first dog after our favorite beer Deschutes Brewery's Black Butte Porter, Porter for short.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:46 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,316,140 times
I have no idea. My guy is a rescue. He was picked up by Animal Control somewhere in Georgia. On his intake forms, he's called Sam. Then the rescue claimed him and renamed him Ryder. When I adopted him 2 months later, I kept the name. I liked it, and I figured that "Ryder" was his second chance name, and I was part of that second chance...so I kept it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs