Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 07:50 PM

635 posts, read 754,324 times

Advertisements

Fun topic

If your dog was named with a cool story behind it, let's hear it!

My pup, Charlie, was named after the beautiful town of Charleston, SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 07:57 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,306 times
Tuck was his shelter name. Taffy is... Well... Taffy! It's just the right name for her. My newest accidental addition has gone by Barney, Henry and now Herman, but my wife calls him Champ because of his illness and happy demeaner in the face of his last few weeks of challenge and change. He's deaf, so the name changes have caused no confusion for him!

Wish I had a better story...

Old 01-23-2015, 08:01 PM

635 posts, read 754,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Tuck was his shelter name. Taffy is... Well... Taffy! It's just the right name for her. My newest accidental addition has gone by Barney, Henry and now Herman, but my wife calls him Champ because of his illness and happy demeaner in the face of his last few weeks of challenge and change. He's deaf, so the name changes have caused no confusion for him!

Wish I had a better story...
That's a cute story! I hope he feels better or at least adjust well to his new quirk!

Old 01-23-2015, 09:58 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
I don't have him anymore -- he died in September 2013 -- but his name is a funny story. When we adopted my pup, his name was Niko. My then-husband hated that name. And because I wanted my husband to feel like the dog was his, too, not just mine (which never happened; they hated each other), I asked him to pick a new name for Niko. My husband is a music dude, so we chose and discarded names like Jimi (for Hendrix). His favorite movie is This Is Spinal Tap and, in it, Paul Schaffer played my husband's favorite character: Artie Fufkin. So Niko become Artie Fufkin, with our last name appended. Well, anyone who knew This Is Spinal Tap got a huge kick out his name and, even if they didn't know the movie, a lot of people loved the name Artie for him. In hindsight, it would have been far funnier if we'd named him Paul Schaffer. I could have gone into the yard and yelled, "Paul Shaffer! Come here right now, Paul Schaffer!" But Artie Fufkin suited him perfectly too.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:03 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,587,684 times
Dazzle's registered name is Jessie James as he cane from Dragon Gates Outlaw litter and they all have outlaw names. But he is so elegant and beautiful that I figured people would be Dazzled by him so renamed him Dazzle.

When I got Chaos I had Dazzle and Phoenix both who were very mellow, easy dogs and I figured a puppy would be Chaos.

Phoenix came with her name and is the only dog I ever kept a name it came with.She was a homozygous blue merle border collie so was born deaf with limited vision . Being the Phoenix rose out of the ashes I thought her name fit her so kept it and being she never heard her name I could have called her anything !

My first dog Maddie was a beautiful white and blonde english cocker I found Tippy ( her name at that time)at the shelter all matted and dirty but once cleaned up she was beautiful. At the time the TV show Moon Lighting was on and Cybil Sheperd played Maddie and was a beautiful blonde so I named the dog after her.

Jazz was a nameless puppy from a rescue group and had very interesting markings . I let my best friends two young daughters name her and they thought she looked Jazzy so Jazz it became.

Dash was named Sam and when I brought him home from the humane society he had an issue of dashing out any open door so what better name for him then Dash?

Old 01-24-2015, 12:26 AM

483 posts, read 655,217 times
Our Beagle mix is named Maddie, short for Madeline(like the children's book. 12 little girls in two straight lines, the smallest one was Madeline) because it was one of my favorite books growing up. We call her "Princess Pulls A Lot" as a nickname. Her shelter name was "Stormy Winslow" which made her sound like a stripper lol

Our hound mix is Bailey, which was his shelter name and it stuck. We were going to name him Mason(so we'd have Maddie and Mason) but Bailey just fits him. He's kinda... slow and clumsy lol. He's nickname is " Count crushyourballs" because that's what he does, to anyone male in his life, when he tries to put all 60lbs of himself in their laps lol

Old 01-24-2015, 06:34 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,352,667 times
Karma.

We lost our girl Hallie unexpectedly, due to a vet's error and after 7 days in ICU. We were reeling and numb, and browsing Petfinder...and then I saw this photo of a 7 month old retriever mix who was the spitting image of the girl we had lost. I thought this is not a good reason to get another dog so soon...the resemblance won't bring Hallie back...not fair to this dog...it's only been 10 days, we should probably wait....

But all that went out the window and soon we were driving the two hours down to Pittsburg, KS to meet her. During the drive, the word "karma" popped into my head. We had rescued Hallie from the needle 13 yeasrs earlier. She had been a perfect, loving and loyal girl, always so grateful for everything we gave her. We went to the wall to save her, and this new dog could help us heal. She could be good karma for us.

Little did we know that six weeks after we rescued Karma, we would also lose our other dog, Jimmy. It was as though Hallie and Jimmy had conspired to build us a safety net and they guided us to that shelter and to that little girl: Hallie from the next world and Jimmy still in this one.

She has been VERY good Karma, and her name is just perfect.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:09 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Great and moving stories! I'm a privacy freak, so my dogs have C-D aliases, too...Our First Dog's real name was of course not First Dog--she was named after a character in a Western TV series from the 60. Cool name to yell! Our Sweetie whom we lost last July was "Sweetie" until we found her true name, a legendary place on the map of Western lore (no, not Deadwood! ) See the theme? We love Westerns. Our new baby is officially Tribbles here on C-D, as in "Trouble with..." (Trekkers will understand ), but her real name is also a famous character from a classic Western movie.

I'd love to call a dog Cheyenne, but we travel a lot in the NW, and we absolutely don't want to offend any Native American sensitivities! We want to be good neighbors...

So does anybody else have City-Data aliases for their dogs? Or am I just nuts?

Old 01-24-2015, 11:35 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,290 times
My border collie, Izzy, is named after a dog who the author Jon Katz had, and later wrote about. Now, before people start ranting about how horrific Jon Katz is, I have to say...I read several of his books. I don't agree with many of his viewpoints, and the controversy over Devon/Orson (for those who know the story) will remain controversial. However, one of the dogs that he wrote about, Izzy, was a border collie who apparently was a rescue, and who ultimately became a hospice dog, meeting and greeting residents of a nursing home and offering them comfort. Yet it was the name that ultimately stuck with me...Izzy. Rather unique.

When I did get my own border collie pup, I struggled for the first couple of days over what to call him. I had many suggestions from people, and there were many names that I pondered, but nothing seemed to quite fit this nervous, energetic, full-of-beans pup. I tried out many tentative names with him, but every time, it seemed what he responded to the most was "Izzy". And in looking back now, I can see that this name suits him perfectly. It sounds whimsical, light-hearted, fun. And that's just what my Izzy is...a happy-go-lucky, always ready to play bundle of black and white entertainment.

Oh, and when he was a pup, Iz had a tendency to whizz whenever he was over-excited (still does on occasion, 3 years later, if overstimulated) and so he temporarily became known as "Whizzy Izzy". Nowadays he's just Izzy (or, when he's into serious energetic overdrive, he becomes "Bizzy Izzy".)

Old 01-24-2015, 03:48 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Our new puppy is Weeping Willow........or, just Willow.

She makes a "weeping" sound most of the time when she is playing.

She is a Treeing Walker Coonhound.......7 months old now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs