Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 04:58 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,736,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajadog View Post
What should I do?
Should I skip eating and take her to the vets?
Help! Has this happened to you?
Advice..
First of all, parvo virus is unlikely. IF your dog has had any vaccinations at all, it is even more unlikely.

Parvo attacks the immune deficient.

That means unvaccinated puppies and seniors are most at risk (Rotties are predisposed to immune issues, FYI). Parvo attacks the digestive system, sloughing the lining of the intestines. It is painful. It is messy. The fecal matter gets it's distinct odor from blood. The body temp spikes then drops like a rock. The patient starves to death because they can't get any nourishment. The younger they are, the higher the mortality rate. There is no cure. Only supportive therapy can be offered.

The virus can be tracked all over on our shoes - it doesn't take contact between your dog and someone else's (like groomers or boarding facilities), though the risk gets higher.

It is a fecal-oral transfer. Virus is shed in diseased dog's feces, someone walks in it (this can be trace amounts in the grass or dirt), gets tracked all over town, then when Rover steps on the virus he gets home and licks his feet and the virus has found a new home.

A 6 month old pit should have a functioning immune system. They can fight it off with little to no symptoms.

If she vomits again - pick up all food and water.
Offer her a SMALL amount of water (no more than 1/4 C in about 6-8 HOURS)
if she keeps it down offer more every 30 minutes until she has kept a cup of h20 down.
Offer food at the NEXT NORMAL MEAL TIME, about half of the usual amount. In 30 minutes if she has kept dinner down, offer her the rest if she is still hungry.
Keep her warm and make her comfy if she wants to be babied.

If she continues to vomit she needs to be seen. She will become dehydrated and will need fluids. Since money is an issue, you can choose to have fluids given subcutaneously instead of the faster IV route. You can even request to be shown how to do this treatment and take the supplies home and do it yourself.

If you get a digital thermometer a dog's norm rectal temp is 100-102* F. If it is above/below this she needs a vet. Don't walk, run.

She probably didn't do well with the food change, it needs to be done gradually. Mix them together in small increments over a week or 2 until all you have left is the new food.

Re: Flagyl/Metronidazole, it is an anti-protozoan & anaerobic antibiotic. I personally do not believe antibiotics should be used unless a positive bacterial or protozoan infection is diagnosed.

Pepto was a good choice - Kaopectate is ok if she doesn't like the mint flavor.

Ling-Ling's suggestion of yogurt therapy is a good idea after ANY diarrheal episode.

Good Luck.

Last edited by tulegirl; 01-13-2008 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 09:39 PM

2,175 posts, read 9,172,705 times
I have had two pups in the last few years that contracted Parvo.
The description of your dogs illness sounds like it very well could be Parvo.
Parvo can be fatal if left untreated or treated too late. It is not something you want to put off.
After almost losing the first pup and being advised about Parvo by the Vet I knew the signs when years later another pup got it. It went to the vet asap and had a much easier and faster recovery.
If I had any reason at all to even suspect a dog might have Parvo, I would get it to a Vet as soon as possible.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:03 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,487,638 times
The reason the vomit is yellow and foamy is because there is nothing in the stomach and it is bile. If it were just vomit and the dog acted fine otherwise that might be one thing, but I would be worried about the loose stools and the fact he is "acting" sick. Has he had all his puppy shots? I would worry about Parvo if he has not. If it continues take him to the vet. he can badly dehydrate after 2 or 3 days of this.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:02 AM

265 posts, read 1,292,849 times
cajadog, I hope your little guy feels better soon and that it's not parvo. Regardless, I highly encourage you to read the recent thread about dog food (I think it specifically references Science Diet and Kirkland's). In all honesty, Beneful is pretty bad stuff and the diet may well be a big contributor...I know there's been much controversy in the news about Purina Beneful and whether they produced tainted food, but that aside, there's much to be learned by reading labels...

~PudelPie

Old 01-14-2008, 04:59 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,711,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulegirl View Post
First of all, parvo virus is unlikely. IF your dog has had any vaccinations at all, it is even more unlikely.
Parvo is one of the most common puppy illnesses. Even with vaccinations a pup can still get it, without well they can be SOL. Pit Bulls can also prone to getting Parvo along with a few other breeds (mainly breeds that are predominately black and tan). A vaccine doesn't mean a dog can't get it, its done as a preventative measure but isn't always 100%.

Quote:
That means unvaccinated puppies and seniors are most at risk (Rotties are predisposed to immune issues, FYI).
All of my dogs which ever got parvo were fully vaccinated. I've seen vaccinated adults go down in a matter of days. Most the people with older pups/adults didn't even suspect Parvo until that is what the test says. They are pretty much shocked for the moment. I myself was the same at first, thinking no way, everything was done correctly this shouldn't be happening.

Quote:
A 6 month old pit should have a functioning immune system. They can fight it off with little to no symptoms.
When 2 of my females got Parvo at the same time they were 6 months old (born april 2 weeks apart came down with it in oct). Both were fully and properly vaccinated. One died and the other nearly died. The vet told me to have her PTS that she would never survive it and she barely did. I wouldn't call that little or no symptoms. She threw up, had a straight bloody stool and had was freezing to the touch, badly anemic and seriously dehydrated. She had months of recovery after her week long vet stay. She had to eat a special diet and lapsed back to loose stool at times. She was skin and bones and had to be kept hydrated and I gave her supplements to help aid in the recovery.

At this time when my 2 got it my neighbors Pit Bull (about a block away) also got Parvo and died, he was a 6 month old male. There were many dogs in the vet with Parvo for a period of a few months as it was spreading all over town, this includes adults. Mmy neighbors male never left the yard so it was tracked there. An older chocolate Lab came down with it (owned by cousins sister in law) and an adult golden retriever did too which lived on the same street but several blocks down from me. There were others in there when I would go to visit my female at the vet.

I've had 2 friends (they live in the south so not near me) who've lost several dogs to parvo even though they were fully vaccinated, some were pups and some were adults and the vet down there told them it was a new strain which the vaccines don't prevent. If the dogs are vaccinated they are likely to get a less severe case and live but it isn't guaranteed. The dogs which are not vaccinated pretty much a death sentence.

From what they are describing I don't think it sounds like Parvo. Just a case of stomach upset, which leads to them throwing up, having a loose stool and of course feel not so good in turn they want to sleep and rest too.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:24 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,736,727 times
That is so sad.

You must have a wicked strain in your part of the country. We RARELY see parvo cases past 5 months of age. After looking it up in my books, I see that APBT have a higher risk than we have seen in our area. Along with Rotts, German sheps, & Dobies.

And of course vaccines aren't 100% - I apologize if I gave that impression. No vaccine for animals or people is 100%

In the future I will try not to be so vague.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:58 PM

This was in a couple different states and friends in the south. I do think it varies from place to place. Some have it really bad. In some of the southern states its a huge fear for them when they have pups. They won't even let them out of the house if they breed and if they adopt/buy a pup it just potties they are afraid to let the dog play in their own backyard until its completely vaccinated. Other illness and worms are also bad in those areas because of the high humidity.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:12 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,172,705 times
Even if the sickness isn't Parvo, the problem is dehydration. They can get so dehydrated that organs can shut down. The pup needs checked out. Let us know how it is doing.
I hope it is improving.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:54 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,174,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
This was in a couple different states and friends in the south. I do think it varies from place to place. Some have it really bad. In some of the southern states its a huge fear for them when they have pups. They won't even let them out of the house if they breed and if they adopt/buy a pup it just potties they are afraid to let the dog play in their own backyard until its completely vaccinated. Other illness and worms are also bad in those areas because of the high humidity.
I think it's pretty bad here in FL. I could be wrong though, I don't know much about it. I just know that when we got Destiny our vet told us not to take her outside, even in our own yard, until she got her first round of shots. And he told us to keep her away from all other dogs, except Brooklyn (we didn't have Jayda yet). Also, the breeder we got Brooklyn from is the same way with all of his puppies.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
I think it's pretty bad here in FL. I could be wrong though, I don't know much about it. I just know that when we got Destiny our vet told us not to take her outside, even in our own yard, until she got her first round of shots. And he told us to keep her away from all other dogs, except Brooklyn (we didn't have Jayda yet). Also, the breeder we got Brooklyn from is the same way with all of his puppies.
Yes it is bad in many southern states FL included. Our friends who live there have above ground kennels or keep their pups indoors because they are so fearful of Parvo. At least I know pups from them have lived the good life and been well handled daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs