Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 02:17 PM

3 posts, read 3,141 times

Advertisements

I've had her since she was 6 weeks old. The reason I picked her out of a litter of 8? When I arrived at the breeder's and went into the area they were being kept, the other 7 puppies went to different walls of the pen and my girl stood right in the middle and barked at me. As if to say, I am the girl you want. I knew it immediately.

Today, at 4:30pm PST she will go on her last car ride. Her last time seeing my face, the face of the person who loved her more than any person on this planet. For the past 13 and 1/2 years she has been my faithful and loving companion who never quit on me or my family. She has been the constant in our household.

This morning when I awoke to go see her, she had soiled herself and could not get up to walk. It is time. Her hips simply do not work anymore and she is frightened by that. She looks at her legs as if to say why wont you work? She stares at them, trying to get up and simply can't.

Some will say it's only a dog and some will say that I am soft and to emotional. It's ok. I feel you can tell a person's true nature by how they treat animals. So today, I lose a best friend. A best friend I've had before my marriage and person my first born child. My heart is broken.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 02:52 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,345,126 times
Sorry

Old 05-28-2015, 02:55 PM

9,884 posts, read 14,157,560 times
KHitt - I am so sorry that you have to go through this. It is truly the last gift you can give to your sweet girl. She will be comforted by you being there.

Godspeed, dear Rogue...the Rainbow Bridge awaits.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:26 PM

18,737 posts, read 33,437,811 times
She's a beauty great friend. This is the last way we take care of them. It never gets any easier, but it always needs to be done at a time as you describe. She'll have lots of company there on the other side, and no one worth a thing would ever say "just" a dog.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:56 PM

5,096 posts, read 12,602,166 times
I am sorry to hear that you are going through this but heartbreak is often the price we pay for love. You are doing the right thing by putting your dog first despite the sadness and hurt you feel. She sounds like a great dog and while you will miss her someday sharing memories of her will put a smile on your face as it is those memories that keep them alive in our hearts forever. When I tell stores about my late dogs it is like they are sitting right there beside me while I tell the story.

Grief is different for every person so do not let others tell you how to grieve for your dog as like all of us dogs owners you know she was not just a dog.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:56 PM

4,491 posts, read 4,992,766 times
My god... so sorry for your family's huge loss. They bring us such joy when they are here and such sadness when they leave us.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:36 AM

2,707 posts, read 3,390,168 times
The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

-- Unknown

Old 05-29-2015, 11:07 AM

19,836 posts, read 22,741,465 times
She brought great joy to your life. I'm sure you will never forget her. I've not forgotten any of my furry friends.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:11 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,313,415 times
I love her moustache in that photo, she looks like she could do one of the "Got Milk" commercials, very cute.

Our sympathies to you and yours, we know how very hard it is to lose a pet and how hard that decision is to make.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:00 PM

3 posts, read 3,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

-- Unknown
Wow. It's amazing the things you can learn by the simple act of reaching out to strangers in attempt to cope. Thank you all so much. I had never seen this poem before. There is still lots to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs