Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 05:37 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,291,029 times

Advertisements

I just don't get people. I followed a mixed breed running on the street for about 3 blocks before I got some homeowner to give me a piece of cold cut to get the pooch yo come to me. He slowly came to get the treat, and I slipped a leash that I always carry with me over his neck. He had a collar with a name tag and phone number. When I called the number, the owner said he wasn't home, but let the dog loose and he would find his way( about 10 blocks from where I was). I said I would not do that, but I would hold the dog at my house till he got home. He started giving me an attitude till I told him I was going to the town shelter and he could deal with them. At that point he asks me if I can bring the dog to his neighbor, who he would now call. The neighbor actually was a lot nicer than the owner. Never even got a thank you call from the jerk.

If someone went to that effort for my dog, I would not hesitate to show my appreciation. What the heck is wrong with some people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 05:52 AM

6,812 posts, read 6,976,711 times
Some people should just not have pets.

I had a similar situation.....an exhausted and injured beagle turned up on my doorstep when I lived in a very rural area. He had a collar with the owners information on it. I called, and spoke to the owner's mother, who assured me her son would come by to pick up the dog. Days went by, with no one showing up. In the meantime, I dressed the dog's wounds, gave him pain meds from my own dog's supply, and fed him daily. I had to call 2 more times before some redneck came and took the dog. When I saw how hesitant that dog was to go to the man, and how roughly he shoved the dog in a cage in the back of his truck, I was sorry I even called.

Like I said, some people just should not have pets.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:01 AM

6,624 posts, read 6,577,004 times
I had a similar thing happen. A few years back, a neighbor's dog showed up at our door, so I called to let him know his dog was at our house. This was in a rural area and the neighbor lived about a mile from our house.

When he showed up, I could see white anger in his face as he got out of his car. The poor dog cowered when he went to roughly grab his collar. I felt so badly for the dog who was very sweet natured.

Yes, some people should just not have pets!

Old 06-29-2015, 07:08 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,982,976 times
When a dog runs away, it is possible they were beaten.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:13 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,528,341 times
Huh.
My neighbor found my dog.
I made a giant basket of goodies at the Godiva store, got a gift certificate at an upscale restaurant, bought a bouquet of flowers, and $250 later felt like I still couldn't thank her enough.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:18 AM

761 posts, read 835,670 times
Stan, you are a dog lover like me and appreciate the loyalty and unconditional love that they give us.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:19 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,183,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I just don't get people. I followed a mixed breed running on the street for about 3 blocks before I got some homeowner to give me a piece of cold cut to get the pooch yo come to me. He slowly came to get the treat, and I slipped a leash that I always carry with me over his neck. He had a collar with a name tag and phone number. When I called the number, the owner said he wasn't home, but let the dog loose and he would find his way( about 10 blocks from where I was). I said I would not do that, but I would hold the dog at my house till he got home. He started giving me an attitude till I told him I was going to the town shelter and he could deal with them. At that point he asks me if I can bring the dog to his neighbor, who he would now call. The neighbor actually was a lot nicer than the owner. Never even got a thank you call from the jerk.

If someone went to that effort for my dog, I would not hesitate to show my appreciation. What the heck is wrong with some people?
some people are just inconsiderate

Old 06-29-2015, 07:31 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,088,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
some people are just inconsiderate
This! And, they live by 'their' rules. Our park has a sign stating that dogs must be on a leash and controlled by it's owner. Yet it is too common to see dog owners allowing their precious Fido to run loose.

Of course, as soon as Fido runs into the street and gets hit by a car and injured or killed, or when Fido is attacked by another dog. . . then Fido's owner will scream to high heavens, blame someone and file a law suit for hurting his/her doggy.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:58 AM

5,104 posts, read 12,617,792 times
On the way home from work one morning there was a large Rottie running down the off ramp of the freeway towards the busy morning freeway traffic. I pulled over and called him he came right to me I put him in my car and drove back to work as I did not have cell phone on me so I could call the owner figuring they lived near my work. There were two tags on the dogs collar so I called both and just got voice mail. I left a message and then drove home with the dog. I could not bring him in as I had Jazz and Dash at the time and no way would Jazz have allowed me to bring that dog inside or would I have been able to sleep if she did allow me too. Being 7:30 Am I left him in the car went inside and called the numbers again again voice mail. I left a message saying I would try again in an hour if I did not hear from anyone and if I still could not get a hold of them I was going to have to take the dog over to the shelter as I worked a 12 hr night shift and needed to get to sleep as I was working again that night and because my dog had issues with other dogs in her house I could not hold on to the dog.

Our shelter is actually not a bad place and is no kill and has a great volunteer group so I am OK with taking a stray there if I need too. The hour passed no one answered the phones or returned my call and I needed to get to bed so I took him and sure enough about 2 hrs into my sleep the owner calls and was so mean and nasty as she had to pay a fine to get him back . She could not return my call earlier as she had kid s to get to school and other morning stuff to get done. I told her I was sorry but that rather then be mad she should be glad I stopped and picked him up as he would have been killed on the freeway or have caused and accident which she would then have been liable for. Not one thank you from her so I hung up hoping they hit her with a big fine! Sad to see such a nice dog belonged to some one like her.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:04 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,284,155 times
The rescue shelter I volunteer at will not even consider scanning a lost stray for id. They woukd do what you did, but they would not reach out to the owner. These pets go through quarantine and then adopted out. So far, no complaints. I can't blame them completely for it, we have seen pets abandoned intentionally or treated badly and it got lost. I also agree that they are quick to judge and should give people the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately, I have no proof other than what they tell me.

%0ÁOn a sidenote, my husband and i recently found a stray dog and immediately turn it over to a reputable animal hospital. They were going to find the owner and follow the law that requires all strays to be held for 3 business days.

Some owners are ungrateful. Others, like that stray we found, did come for her dog.

Last edited by cheesenugget; 06-29-2015 at 09:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs