Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 11:34 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,922,779 times

Advertisements

while particularly common as a general occurance in flat anced and toy breeds its also common with trachea issues which are also common in toy breeds...(it can also be a symptom of heart issues which are common in toy breeds)

as someone involved in Chihuahuas, I would suggest a general wellness check by the vet...
get the heart lungs and threchea checked...it will PROBABLY all come back clear in which case you know its simply a case of rverse sneezing and tada....

howeve ryoud never forgie yourself if it turned out to be something else and you just ignored ot to "treat at home"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 03:17 PM

18,607 posts, read 18,895,058 times
thank you all so much but he only started being taken to the public park recently and I think hes picked up something from another dog.., I kept trying to tell myself that this was common in these flat faced dogs but I cant sleep at night if I hear him started to cough as it really sounds as if hes choking and he looks scared.... I did rub his throat until it passed and he settles quickly after it , but I dont want it to be kennel cough and he infects other dogs.... so Ive made an appointment for tomorrow... just hope its nothing more serious.... cant think straight for worry about him. hes still so young.. and I feel Ive done something wrong, Im buying him a new harness tomorrow, that wont go round his neck as this harness does..

Old 07-09-2015, 03:29 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,798,538 times
Glad you're taking him to the vet it sounds like he needs to be seen. Generally until they're fully immunized it's best not to take puppies to a public park.

Hopefully he'll feel better soon.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Glad you're taking him to the vet it sounds like he needs to be seen. Generally until they're fully immunized it's best not to take puppies to a public park.

Hopefully he'll feel better soon.
thank you Rowan, he has had his vaccinations done two months ago so he was ok to take among other dogs or so it seems... Oh the worry with wee animals...

Old 07-10-2015, 09:30 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,265,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
When Katie does it I Firmly say NO it startles her she looks at me like What I do! Then she goes off & lays down
Why correct her for something like that? Since the startle response stops the reverse sneezing, why not just clap your hands or do something else that startles her but doesn't have a correction (negative) connotation to it?

Old 07-10-2015, 11:03 AM

Been to the vet, she looked at him and pressed on his windpipe and said Kennel Cough and very common... she then took his temp which was high and gave me anitbiots for five days and said to give him infants Benadryl.... he was then weighed and Ive to phone if hes no better in a week... but keep him away from other dogs for three weeks so no parks or walks... thankfully I have a garden..hes had all his medicine now and in a deep sleep... feel like going to bed myself, what a day... so thank you all for being so helpful and caring.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:24 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,265,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Been to the vet, she looked at him and pressed on his windpipe and said Kennel Cough and very common... she then took his temp which was high and gave me anitbiots for five days and said to give him infants Benadryl.... he was then weighed and Ive to phone if hes no better in a week... but keep him away from other dogs for three weeks so no parks or walks... thankfully I have a garden..hes had all his medicine now and in a deep sleep... feel like going to bed myself, what a day... so thank you all for being so helpful and caring.
Great news. KC is an easy fix. Your pup should heal quickly.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:28 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,798,538 times
Glad it wasn't something more serious. Hope he heals fast (and you get some rest).

Old 07-10-2015, 01:54 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,159,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I have a shih tzu and it started this sort of cough choking two nights ago after a walk in the rain, in the park.. I thought he was choking and panicked but he calmed down but did it again a few hours later... its calmed down now but hes been sneezing a bit too.... Ive been reading now about reverse sneezing and other things that might be wrong, should I take him to the vet or try and help him myself, hes playing and eating well.. be glad of some help here as Im worried.

Take the dog to the vet to make sure he doesn't have kennel cough or something stuck in his nasal cavity or throat.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:01 AM

Hes been taking his antibiotics and Benylin infant medicine.. the vet pressed on his windpipe or is it trachea at the front and he did the same strange noise... so Im hoping it is only kennel cough and not something more serious. she said his temp. was up a good bit but he should be a lot better in a week, if not Ive to phone her... Hes sleeping quite a lot but has energy when hes up and about and eating and going to the toilet.. thanks for all the help..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs