Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 04:31 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,157,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobersuperstar View Post
I had my dog for 6 years before I moved in with my ex. I lived with her for 7 or 8 years and since she was always avail to take the dog to the vet and I cert did not see the ending of our relationship coming from her infidelity, it eventually came to the point where all the vet bills were in her name. I have very few pics of me and the dog from years ago but all my friends and fam, including the ex-ex I was with with when I bought her vouching for me. I also have a slightly older very popular published book where I talk about my travels with my dog (with her name) in great detail.

So at the end of my relationship I was left without a car and a place to stay and have moved into my mothers ( I know how sad) until I can get on my feet again. It shouldn't be too much longer but has already been two months or so. The problem is that the agreement I made with this ex has been compromised. She was supposed to just take care of her until I got back on my feet. Well she is now threatening to keep my dog and says that I cannot have her as in ever. I have all the texts and emails from her where she was trying to buy my dog off me for a few grand where I declined. I don't have much else. I am being as smart as I can trying to remain friendly with this individual who is really trying to screw me.

What would happen if I took her to court. Could/would I win or do I have to go there and steal her back. This of course would be breaking into the house thru the unlocked window which of course is something I do not want to do. I could also just sit outside until she let her out but do not want to have to go thru such measures.

What is everyone's thoughts?
This sounds like an old dog. 13? maybe 15? She probably doesnt have all that much life left. Animals do not respond well to changes in environment. Im sure she would love seeing you, and misses you Im sure you feel the same.

Are you still with your Mom? What would life for the dog be like with your Mom, if you are? It doesnt sound like Mom welcomed the dog at the onset of your breakup.

Does your GF love the dog too?

I dont think Breaking and Entering is your best choice. It could land you in jail for a good while. In some states, up to 15 years.

If her yard isnt fenced, the sit out side thing might work, as long as neither of them notice you right away. Then she could take you to court, but it sounds like you might have a decent defense. You might end up owing her for 2 years worth of board and vet bills. I hope you have a get away car to park around the block, so you wouldnt be stressing this old dog too much, and again, I hope your ex wouldnt automaticly notice this is happening.

In a perfect world, the two of you would be able to put personal feelings aside, and come to an agreement that would be best for the dog.

You can try taking her to court, but you have to be prepared to let go if you lose. Is she a purebred, and do you have papers for her? Do you a have receipt or anything as proof that you bought her? Can you find and contact whoever you bought her from?

The book and photos will help. The ex-ex might help. The friends over the years could help. Family is nice, especially if they have photos of her too over the years, but no one is surprised when someone's family backs their play either.

I understand you love the dog -but you have to look at all the variables. Mainly - is what you want what is in the best interest of the dog at this stage of her life? Followed by - do you love her enough to do what is best for her if the court orders you to let her go?

Sorry it has come to this. I know how sad it can be for both you and the dog. Again, in a perfect world, the of two you would be able to put personal feelings aside, and come to an agreement that would be best for the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 04:33 PM

13,932 posts, read 39,405,081 times
Dog seems to Love you go get her! How is it going with the lawyer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs