Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 12:51 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,766,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaTN View Post
Well, I have found some obedience classes that I can afford. The ones I was looking at were like $50 an hour! That is way too high. I have found a trainer that teaches dogs for something like $200 for 6 weeks or something like that. I can afford that with no problem and as far as the vet bills yes we can afford those. I guess the trainers I was looking at were training champion blood lines. One even charged $2000 dollars for a 6 week training course. As far as letting them together alone - NEVER!! At least right now. I know one of them would end up dead. I have already said we should rehome him but my husband wants to try to work it out. Myself I do not have my hopes up but he does so.....Oh and you may be misunderstanding. My two dogs are both females and Roger is the only male. He is at the vet right now getting checked out and she may tell my husband to rehome him - who knows. Curious to see what she tells him about it. Thanks everyone. I will let you know how everything ends up
I'm not sure an obedience trainer his what you need. I think you need someone who specializes in dog behavior and has experience dealing with dog integration.

I was under the impression your golden was a male thanks for clarifying. I think the older the aussie gets and the older (and "weaker") the golden gets the more likely you are to have trouble. I've seen dogs coexist fine for a couple of years and then when the younger dog is about 2 or so it will go after the alpha (even when both dogs are fixed). So you may be postponing the problem. Even if they can work it out now, I still would NOT ever leave them alone together when you're not around.

Good Luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 01:34 PM

14 posts, read 16,164 times
Yeah I will never leave them alone together even if they start getting along well together. I have lost all faith in that. I will look into someone that specializes in dog behavior. Thanks

Old 07-27-2015, 07:42 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,278,954 times
I had a situation where a family who refused to hire a trainer, asked me for my opinion about their 2 dogs. The younger of the two loves his companion but wanted blood with every other dog in the neighborhood. Among many factors including refusing to neuter, the younger male was not introduced or socialized with other dogs. I told them the owners the obvious and that no one but a trainer can help with his aggression at this point. I wish I have more to offer than to tell you the same thing. Save some $$ and hire one. It could be the Golden was not used to new dogs, or the Aussie is too nervous, or anything in between. If they are charging and focused on hurting each other, you need a professional to help you. In the meantime, keep them separated.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:14 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,989,738 times
Quote:
Yeah I will never leave them alone together even if they start getting along well together. I have lost all faith in that. I will look into someone that specializes in dog behavior. Thanks
Your obligation is to your existing dogs. It is one thing to want to give a dog a good home, but it is entirely another thing to consider keeping a new dog when their presence has already been disruptive- whatever the reason.

At 7 months old, your new dog's puppy license has just worn off. In other words, other dogs will no longer cut him slack for bad behavior.

Are the fights getting worse? Does the male pup back down from your female?
Has blood been drawn?
Has a vet visit been necessary as a result of one of these fights?

The new dog may need obedience training, but you also must have- at the very least- a trainer who specializes in dog behavior- and ideally a veterinary behaviorist- who will come to your home, observe the dogs, and write a management plan. You also must be committed to following the plan to a T- no exceptions. If you aren't ready or able to do that, I would give serious weight to finding another home for the new dog.

From a safety perspective- an injury to your 10 year old golden could be a life-changer for her. Do you really want to risk injury to your old girl? And do you want your own young 3 year old aussie exposed to this sort of bad behavior- and yes- dogs do learn from watching how other dogs behave.

I am normally all for allowing time for a new dog to settle in, but from what you are saying, I get the sense that you really aren't equipped to manage this situation. I feel very strongly that the existing dogs take precedence over any new dog, and if the new dog isn't a good fit, then best to find it a new home before someone gets badly hurt or worse.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
I am normally all for allowing time for a new dog to settle in, but from what you are saying, I get the sense that you really aren't equipped to manage this situation. I feel very strongly that the existing dogs take precedence over any new dog, and if the new dog isn't a good fit, then best to find it a new home before someone gets badly hurt or worse.
Agree.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:44 PM

My husband is adamant that neutering this dog will fix this problem. I say it will not. Right now we are keeping them separated 24/7, but I don't think it is fair for my golden. She is my baby and I love her more than I could ever say. I am going with it just to show him how wrong he is. If he still wants to keep the new dog if neutering does not work, I will find him a good new home anyway, and just put up with the fight with my husband. It is really not fair as my daughter is getting really close to him but she agrees with me. She is going to school to become a vet herself and even though she loves him she thinks we should find him a new home also. He has an appointment with the vet to get neutered on Monday. I will post back with how things turn out.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:57 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
At 7 months old this was NOT a Sexual Fight! Tho if not fixed it can become one once hes about 18 months to 2 yrs old! This IS a Young pup with No idea How to get along with other dogs. It will be a LONG battle of wills to Train him... Not just you but the other dogs. At 10 yrs old this means the old girl going to be living her twilight years NOT enjoying life But Always being under stress. Then there is the other Female who up till now has been letting the older girl be boss. At some point she might decide IF the young pup is allowed to Not listen to his elders Why should she?!! That will be 2 dogs against a elderly dog that Should NOT be having to go thru this.

IMO This 7 month old pup would do better in a home with No Other animals.

Last edited by Katie1; 07-28-2015 at 03:07 PM..

Old 07-28-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
My husband is adamant that neutering this dog will fix this problem. I say it will not. Right now we are keeping them separated 24/7, but I don't think it is fair for my golden. She is my baby and I love her more than I could ever say. I am going with it just to show him how wrong he is. If he still wants to keep the new dog if neutering does not work, I will find him a good new home anyway, and just put up with the fight with my husband. It is really not fair as my daughter is getting really close to him but she agrees with me. She is going to school to become a vet herself and even though she loves him she thinks we should find him a new home also. He has an appointment with the vet to get neutered on Monday. I will post back with how things turn out.
Good luck and please do report back with an update.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:38 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times
I am not sure why people automatically assume all dogs will get along. There are dogs that get along fine with other dogs and take an intense instant dislike to a particular dog. If you think about it, people do it too. Also the new pup may need to belong to a single dog family, some do, I suspect this might be more likely the case than average based on the scenario you described him coming from. I do agree with a few of the other previous posters, your first obligation is to the dog/s you already had, and it sounds like this is a stressful situation for all the living creatures in your home. It is especially concerning that the fighting got bad enough that you got bit, broken skin or not. That means the dogs became so focused on hurting each other that concern for you disappeared, that is some intense dislike.

It should not be difficult to find a good home for a purebred dog that is only 7 months old, including finding one that has no other dogs.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:07 AM

This dog is now attacking my 3 year old aussie. She is a female but he is only 7 months old. I am now having to stay in the room with them all the time now and put up the "mean" one any time I have to leave the room or go anywhere. I feel sorry for this pup but I want him gone. My husband is still adamant that neutering him will take care of this. He has an appointment for Monday morning and I am giving it until he is healed from this surgery so my husband will see it did not change him in anyway. Then he is out of here whether my husband agrees or not. Sorry - I am just a little mad right now (at my husband). This pup would be very happy in a home with no other dogs in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs