Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 07:33 AM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times

Advertisements

I think that this is more prevalent with dogs than cats, as cats can actually GET to chipmunks (and squirrels, etc.) and seem to avidly hunt and kill them (at least mine do).

Dogs, on the other hand, seem more interested in chasing, and this may actually be more play than sincere hunting. I know that this is a generalization, as I have also known dogs that will kill anything in sight. But, IMHE, most dogs are more interested in chasing than actually killing.

Case in point: my GSD loved to chase squirrels--she was obsessed with them. However, she never caught or killed any small animals even though she was always whining at them and acting like her catching one would be the best thing ever.

So, I think that what you are seeing is not so much taunting but playing. And I think that it is reciprocally enjoyed by both the chipmunk and the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 07:37 AM

19,514 posts, read 9,537,245 times
My dogs say, "he l l yes"

Reminds me of that commercial where the dog sees a squirrel (maybe it was a chipmunk?) and jumps up on the window thus breaking the blinds.
Both squirrels and chipmunks can be a tease.

Forgot to add. There are a couple squirrels that come on the deck and go up and down the posts. When they hear my dog bark or get both barking, they (squirrel/s) make a run for it. When the dogs stop. The squirrel/s come back on to the deck. If that's not teasing, I don't know what is then.

Last edited by cat1116; 08-12-2015 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: Squirrels on deck

Old 08-12-2015, 07:44 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Dogs, on the other hand, seem more interested in chasing, and this may actually be more play than sincere hunting.
For dogs, play drive = prey drive, just a different form, but same drive.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:38 AM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
For dogs, play drive = prey drive, just a different form, but same drive.
This is a really good point. However, since the sequence of prey drive usually ends in killing, I wonder if the majority of domesticated dogs would actually kill the animal they are chasing if they ever got a hold of it. For me, even though prey drive is related to their "playing" with chipmunks et al., there seems to be a difference.

My GSD was said to have a really high "prey drive" because she loved chasing any and all critters. Yet she would never kill anything, so wouldn't it be more accurate to say that her "play" drive, rather than her "prey" drive, was high...?

Old 08-17-2015, 05:02 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
This is a really good point. However, since the sequence of prey drive usually ends in killing, I wonder if the majority of domesticated dogs would actually kill the animal they are chasing if they ever got a hold of it. For me, even though prey drive is related to their "playing" with chipmunks et al., there seems to be a difference.

My GSD was said to have a really high "prey drive" because she loved chasing any and all critters. Yet she would never kill anything, so wouldn't it be more accurate to say that her "play" drive, rather than her "prey" drive, was high...?
Canine prey drive is generally considered a five step process...the search (orient), the stalk, the chase, the grab, and the take down (kill). However, any individual dog's innate prey drive can stop at one of the first four steps without going all the way to kill. There are also breed tendencies. For example, most herding breeds stop at chase (or at a modified grab) whereas the terriers go all the way to take down. Also, breeds and individual dogs can have exaggerated steps...the Border Collie's strong eye and crouch is an example of exaggerated stalking.

The reason dogs like to play fetch, tug and chase me games is due to their prey drive.

Here is an article that explains it pretty well. How We Use a Dog’s Prey Drive | Canidae Blog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs