Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2015, 10:23 PM

5 posts, read 5,784 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just wanted to pass along some comments and short story about my dog Romeo.

Romeo is a 9 year old Chihuahua. He collapsed back in August 13 (luckily) when I was home and I rushed him to his vet. He barely made it through significant edama of the lungs and was diagnosed with an enlarged heart. Further study at his cardiologist (Ryan Baumwart/OK State) revealed he had a significant torn chodrea with significant regurgitation and also some on the right side as well. Internet searches and studies would reveal that most dogs with a similar condition have 200-400 days. I just wanted to pass along that you really can't get caught up in the numbers and accept that as fate.

He was put on the following meds in August 13 and hasn't had any dose adjustments since September of 13

Furosemide
Spironolactone
Enalapril
Vetmedin

He also takes CoQ10 in his food, Fish oil in his food, Vitamin E drops in food for the fish oil, and I have him taking a moderate dose of D3 drops (careful with D3 dosage... can be harmful if high) ... a fairly recent study seemed to show that canines like humans seem to have better prognosis with higher D levels.

Vetmedin is likely the key med here as it has seemed to significantly help prognosis in the last several years.

He goes in every 6-9 months at OSU for imaging and his heart size has remained stable. He also has a collapse trachea which makes it all the more amazing his condition is remaining stable. I don't expect he will live on meds several more years but his quality of life has remained 80-90% of prior CHF and he's a very happy dog and enjoying life.

I just wanted to pass this along if it could help anyone with a similar situation. The statistics are scary but every case really is individual
Attached Thumbnails
Hope for dogs with CHF-romeo.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pflory23 View Post
Hi,

I just wanted to pass along some comments and short story about my dog Romeo.

Romeo is a 9 year old Chihuahua. He collapsed back in August 13 (luckily) when I was home and I rushed him to his vet. He barely made it through significant edama of the lungs and was diagnosed with an enlarged heart. Further study at his cardiologist (Ryan Baumwart/OK State) revealed he had a significant torn chodrea with significant regurgitation and also some on the right side as well. Internet searches and studies would reveal that most dogs with a similar condition have 200-400 days. I just wanted to pass along that you really can't get caught up in the numbers and accept that as fate.

He was put on the following meds in August 13 and hasn't had any dose adjustments since September of 13

Furosemide
Spironolactone
Enalapril
Vetmedin

He also takes CoQ10 in his food, Fish oil in his food, Vitamin E drops in food for the fish oil, and I have him taking a moderate dose of D3 drops (careful with D3 dosage... can be harmful if high) ... a fairly recent study seemed to show that canines like humans seem to have better prognosis with higher D levels.

Vetmedin is likely the key med here as it has seemed to significantly help prognosis in the last several years.

He goes in every 6-9 months at OSU for imaging and his heart size has remained stable. He also has a collapse trachea which makes it all the more amazing his condition is remaining stable. I don't expect he will live on meds several more years but his quality of life has remained 80-90% of prior CHF and he's a very happy dog and enjoying life.

I just wanted to pass this along if it could help anyone with a similar situation. The statistics are scary but every case really is individual
Hi! my 11 year old pom was just diagnosed with chf and dmvd. he is on the exact same meds as your Romeo and finding your post made me feel so much better. I am heartbroken but trying my best not to show it when I am around him. he is perky, happy and wants to go for longer walks than I allow him to. He has been on the meds for 1.5 weeks now. I am adding fish oil and taurine to his diet but I feel like I should be doing more. our next check-up is in 3 months. thanks for sharing your story.
Hope Romeo is doing good.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:42 PM

Romeo is still doing good! Coming up on 3 years here in another 3 months or so. He's still running around 90% his normal self and the meds have stayed the same. He's due for his check up at OSU in a couple of weeks so we will see how that goes. Definitely don't give up... the studies sound scary but each dog is unique. I honestly would recommend looking into some Coq10 off Amazon (It's not that expensive and it's great for energy and with the fish oil as the fish oil can slightly increase the oxidation load) Also vitamin D has had at least one major study in canines that showed a benefit like it has in humans with heart failure. Just be careful with the dosage on the Vitamin D. I usually limit it to 2-3 times a week dropped in his food. I have no reason to believe he's not headed to at least a 4-5 year total survival.

My honest opinion is that if you can get past the acute episode of CHF and stabilize them (especially smaller breeds) they can live a good quality of life and for a surprising amount of time with the current meds. Vetmedin is the major player here and still <10 yrs old... it's a major difference. It doesn't exist I doubt Romeo is even still alive.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24205918

There is the study on vitamin D. It's not only a risk factor but also a risk for poorer outcome in dogs already with CHF. It's fairly recent (2014) unfortunately it takes time in the vet industry (so much smaller and less funded) for studies like this to get around I've made a habit of looking for new studies every couple of months and see what pops up

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10997750

Coq10 study. It's not extremely positive because it doesn't appear dogs have a legit coq10 deficiency like many humans do in CHF where a benefit is seen. It still showed a few positive responses and again it's great to mop up the extra free radicals the fish oil can produce. The fish oil is an excellent supplement and probably the most beneficial as regards to retarding excess inflammation but it does increase the free radical load a bit as the fats themselves (PUFA's) are not very stable. Last thing we want is reactive oxygen species eating up the valves and heart even more. Also I definitely saw an increase in energy after I began this a couple years ago

My best to your dog and yourself

Last edited by pflory23; 06-01-2016 at 05:56 PM..

Old 06-15-2016, 02:33 PM

Quick update:

Romeo saw his cardiologist today. His condition remains stable and is actually improving. His heart size has reduced to within the normal range and one of his medications was even reduced. The doctor is pretty floored. It's rare they actually improve this late into the disease course. You can see the torn chordea clear as day on doppler but the regurgitation is mild. I'm very proud of him

Old 03-30-2017, 10:49 AM

5 posts, read 9,515 times
Thank B-) you for the tips for CHF my baby was just diagnosed and I'm devastated at the prognosis and time constraint Just loving him until his time with me is over, but I'm devastated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs