Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2015, 11:24 PM

5 posts, read 49,338 times

Advertisements

Our 6-year-old Maltipoo keeps scratching his eyes and rubbing his face on the ground, opening up and exposing the flesh around the inside of both eyes. He also develops buildup quickly around his eyes. It started around 6 months ago and has been getting progressively worse. About 3 months ago, we took him to a vet who prescribed antibiotics and suggested he wear a cone for a week. He was still scratching after one week so we kept the cone on for a couple more weeks. After that, we've put it on again from time to time in the hopes that he would stop scratching and the cuts would heal but he hasn't slowed down. After doing a bit of research online, we also tried herbal supplements with no success. We're getting worried and would prefer not to keep taking him to a vet or paying for an allergy test if we can try other remedies at home.

Does anyone have experience with a similar problem or have any suggestions? I've attached some photos of the poor little guy's eyes. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Dog keeps scratching eyes...help? (pics)-image1.jpeg   Dog keeps scratching eyes...help? (pics)-image2.jpeg   Dog keeps scratching eyes...help? (pics)-image3.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 06:33 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,139 times
Take your dog back to the vet. Sounds like your pup may have seasonal allergies. You don't necessarily need allergy testing done, but at the very least you need to have direction on what antihistamines are safe and what dosage to use. If one antihistamine doesn't work after you have tried it for a week, then try another one. Generic antihistamines are relatively cheap, but you need your vet's guidance in choosing and correct dosage as some are not safe for dogs.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:11 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,260,775 times
Maybe they need to do a skin scrape.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:21 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
He could have dry eyes, a common condition in dogs, especially older dogs. The vet needs to do a tear sample to check his tear film and see if his eyes have a thinner tear film than normal. Ironically, some dogs with dry eyes tear excessively as the body tries to compensate for the loss of tear film. Artificial tears are the most common treatment for this condition, but punctal plugs, in which a tiny tube is inserted into each tear duct, is another treatment. Another less likely possibility is exotropion or entropion in which the eyelids rub on the eyeball or away from it. Both conditions can be corrected surgically. You might need to take your dog to a doggie ophthalmologist for further evaluation. Many vets aren't equipped to do specialized ophthalmic diagnosis and treatment. Good luck. I hope your pup feels better.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:27 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,758,550 times
Agree it sounds like allergies. I also wonder if her hair is getting in her eyes and that might be contributing to it. I'd take her back to the vet and ask about an antihistamine and make sure that she hasn't damaged her eyes again.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:16 AM

Thanks so much for the helpful replies. We actually went to a different vet after the first steps described in the OP didn't help and he DID suggest allergy and blood tests but those were going to cost over $1,000. So we took a cheaper route to no avail (new antibiotic and switching flea treatment to include mites). We also recently switched his food to Origens grain-free for its hypoallergenic ingredients and​ Vet's Best seasonal allergy supplements.

Seems like next step should be to try Benadryl and another visit to the vet to discuss antihistamines.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:34 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casual34 View Post
We actually went to a different vet after the first steps described in the OP didn't help and he DID suggest allergy and blood tests but those were going to cost over $1,000.

Seems like next step should be to try Benadryl and another visit to the vet to discuss antihistamines.
Unless there is something else going on, for a vet to go right to the blood work and allergy testing that costs $1000 without first advising you to try an antihistamine is ridiculous. That would be a huge red flag for me that I need to find another vet. It isn't a matter of the money, it is that your vet let you leave without offering the simplest solution that might have given your pup much needed relief.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:35 AM

Thanks! This makes me feel better about what we suspected but weren't sure about.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:36 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,842,707 times
I have a 14 year old Yorkie that was doing this. I could not figure out what was going on. When I took him to the vet he had lost his vision in one eye. He was diagnosed with dry eye. It is actually painful. There are prescription eye drops you can get to help this. I am not saying this is your dog's problem but I'd surely get the tear production test. It is just a little strip they "dip" into his lower lid.(not real expensive) I registered so I could post this so that you won't have the same outcome with your pup that I did. I am keeping the other medicated and so far so good with his vision in that one.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs