Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 09:38 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,133,537 times

Advertisements

Aww, he's precious. I love his happy face knowing he's going home. Thanks for adopting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 05:46 AM

380 posts, read 655,460 times
Nothing to worry about. My dog did the same thing. Barely ate at all the first several days.

Is he drinking plenty of water?

Old 08-21-2015, 05:53 AM

4,879 posts, read 4,240,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I just love how happy he looks on the ride home.

Me too!!

I agree with everyone else...he just needs time.

When I adopted my Sally several years ago, it took her a good 6 months to a year before we started seeing all of her "personality". Yeah, she ate and all, but she really came into her own after about a year. I think she had been bounced around and it took her longer to get comfortable. Your guy will come around.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:54 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,314,954 times
What a sweet face! Great job on rescuing from the shelter; sounds like you are doing everything right and he's a great fit for your family. It can take several weeks for them to really settle in and the eating very little is part of it. We used to foster for a rescue group and many of the new rescues we had would not eat much for the first week or two. A little chicken broth/white rice added to their food helped and calmed their empty bellies. He is adorable, and I'm so happy he has a family!

Old 08-21-2015, 07:16 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,473,952 times
Only spending two days at the shelter is very lucky for him, but he's really been through a whirlwind and I'm sure he's still very confused about what's going on. A vet check is always good for a new pet, but chances are it won't turn up anything physical that's making him reluctant to eat. As I said on the cat side, the before and after pics are wonderful to see!

Old 08-21-2015, 08:05 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,792,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmeck View Post
What a sweet face! Great job on rescuing from the shelter; sounds like you are doing everything right and he's a great fit for your family. It can take several weeks for them to really settle in and the eating very little is part of it. We used to foster for a rescue group and many of the new rescues we had would not eat much for the first week or two. A little chicken broth/white rice added to their food helped and calmed their empty bellies. He is adorable, and I'm so happy he has a family!
Chicken broth and rice is a good idea but make sure the chicken broth is low sodium.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:10 AM

30,721 posts, read 16,363,675 times
any news from the vet?

Old 08-21-2015, 09:17 AM

454 posts, read 497,363 times
Adopted dog AND a jeep. I like you already

It's always a good idea to take a newly adopted pet to the vet as soon as you can so you can make sure he didin't pick up anything icky from his previous situation. And the vet can put your mind at ease about his eating.

He's so gorgeous, too!

Old 08-21-2015, 09:18 AM

761 posts, read 835,965 times
Sounds like an adjustment issue.
The dog has been through a lot emotionally.
Does he take dog treats at all?

If he's not vomiting and/or diarreha, I wouldn't be overly concerned.
I once adopted a shelter dog and for almost a week, her eyes were set back in her head like she was scared and wouldn't eat. A lot of cajoling and a lot of love and before you knew it, she adjusted.

Play a game with the food, a kernel or two at a time.
Before you know it, the dog will be asking for more.
No way a dog will ever starve itself barring sickness.

Best of luck!

Old 08-21-2015, 09:44 AM

6,738 posts, read 2,927,048 times
Our little rescue dog didn't bark for a couple of weeks, we didn't think she could. Years later and now that she completely owns the house, she has no trouble showing her happiness or displeasure with her vocal commands..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs