Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 10:41 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times

Advertisements

He is drinking plenty of water. Vet check today was good and he is up to date on all of his shots now.

He took a stroll through PetsMart and was such a good boy. Very friendly with animals and people.

He did good at the vet. The only dog not acting insane!

I had them clip his nails and he did not take well to that. They were very long and I have no idea if they had ever been cut.

He weighed in at 61.5 lbs and they estimate he is 20 lbs overweight. We are getting in our walks and they told me how much food to give him per feeding. He still isn't really eating but he will eat treats.

One of my cat wants to eat Obies food and Obie wants to eat his food so they try and switch. Little boogies.

Obie is starting to try and play with Charlie, bouncing around with his heinie in the air and tail just a waggin!

I just gave him a bath and he did fine with that as well.

He loves riding shotgun with the wind in his...fur!

He does eat treats just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 10:46 AM

I hate selfies!!!!

Old 08-21-2015, 10:50 AM

761 posts, read 832,595 times
Very handsome pup!
Congrats.
He looks happy and loved.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:00 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
What a sweet dog! I give you props for adopting him from the animal shelter. So many dogs are unwanted and unloved. You just saved his life. I'm crying tears of happiness. I'm a sucker for happy endings

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the topic. Switching dog foods suddenly can cause picky eating and since he is new to your home, give him a little time and he'll be just fine. I personally don't like adding wet food because if they don't eat it all, the food becomes a soggy mess and you have to throw it out, but that's just my preference. Again, congratulations on the new addition to your family!

Old 08-21-2015, 12:00 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,989 times
Congratulations! We also just adopted our new princess 6 days ago. She is wonderful but it is also taking her some time to get used to things. She & our yorkie are still feeling each other out, and for a couple of days I literally had to bring the bowls to her on the couch...of course she has lyme disease, and was just spayed, and is hearing impared lol so I suspect it's going to be a longer adjustment period for her.

He will come around, just remember it takes time. Good luck!

Old 08-21-2015, 07:13 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,650 times
Love the pictures- you both look so happy. I love his big goofy grin, lucky boy.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:49 AM

Well the kitties are basically comfortable with my Obie dog now. Even my Kitty Katty will eat out in the open now.

For the first time ever, Obie got on the couch. He is sitting up there just like one of the kitties snoring away. I think he is getting used to his new home!!!

I have been putting a little low sodium chicken stock in his kibble and he has now been eating it for the most part, so that is good.

I like to go hiking so we are gonna take him on an easy hike today, nothing too strenuous until he is in better shape. It is such a joy to have him in our family!

Old 08-22-2015, 09:51 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,565 times
Gratz on your new addition!

Like everyone else said, it will take some time for him to adjust. I see the first 2 weeks as the "honeymoon" phase after an adoption. The new dog or cat will seem very calm, unsure, or even frightened. He might sleep more than expected. After that, the dog will start to blossom.. more confidence on leash walks (make sure you get a front clip harness at this point!), bigger appetite and more energy.

It's recommended to keep a new pet away from current pets (including your cats) for at least 14 days to make sure he is clean of worms and other transmittable parasites. Even though the dog may have been dewormed on the day of adoption, that usually only kills the adult worms. The eggs may still be inside and usually hatches around 2 to 3 weeks. Not all eggs will be discovered through a fecal exam, fyi. After adopting my dog, 2 weeks later, she had tapeworms but the fecal came out positive for roundworms only. The vet prescibed Panacur anyway which do not kill tapeworms so I ended up buying Drontal and got rid of it myself with 1 pill.

Oh well, it seems too late now that you have introduced him to your cats. Just keep an eye on the everyone's poop and health.

I responded to your question about which brand to use for fleas and heartworm. Hope that helps.

Good luck.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:25 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,235,903 times
Best before and after pics for a rescue! Congrats on your new buddy!

Old 08-22-2015, 03:25 PM

Obie and the kitties are getting along just great now. He has taken three walks today and this morning we went on a hike and he did very well. We encountered a lot of children and other dogs and he was a perfect gentleman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs