Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 03:37 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,423,613 times

Advertisements

I adopted a very sweet dog on Saturday and brought him home on Monday. So, I have had him here at the house for three days now.

He is a great dog, is trained and follows commands. He is just a little afraid of my two cats but they are all coming around.

He is not really eating. He ate some dry kibble the first night he was here. He just kind of pushes the bowl around here and there and will eat a couple bites but that is it.

I got some canned food to add to it and he ate more the next night.

He is really not eating much at all. He got his rabies shot on Monday, and I don't know if it could be that or just being in new surroundings or what.

Any insight on what could be going on? I will be taking him in to the vet tomorrow morning to be checked over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 03:41 PM

5,019 posts, read 10,731,213 times
Are you feeding him whatever they were feeding him at the shelter?

Old 08-20-2015, 03:49 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,647,434 times
Its a new enviorment for the dog and confusing. He had a family, the goes to an adoption agency, now in your home at other pets and not quite used to it all yet. Give the dog a lot of one on one time with just him. Maybe a nice walk or if you have a yard let him check it out and you pull up a chair and keep him company.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:22 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,995,604 times
Give him time to adjust; it can take several weeks before he really starts to feel comfortable and gets into the groove of your house. Eating is part of that adjustment, so give him time. Very few dogs will refuse food when they are really hungry, so let him eat or not, take food up after it has been down for 1/2 an hour. Since you have a vet appointment (good for you!), I would run it by your vet and see what they say.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:40 PM

19,888 posts, read 22,809,367 times
Yup- Give them time to adjust. My kids dog sat for one of their teachers earlier this summer. A shy little GSP who was a rescue girl herself. It took her about a week to get used to 2 very active (and larger) GSP's in our house, plus an ornery one-eyed basenji. She started to eat on the house schedule in a week.

It's been two months since she has been here, and now we are watching her again for about 10 days. She came in, totally new the routine and settled right down like she never left.

Dogs are amazing.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:18 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,423,613 times
Thanks everyone. I am feeding him what they were giving him at the shelter mixed with what I got for him. He was at the shelter for 2 days.

I am at home all day so I do spend a bit of time with him. I would say we go for three walks per day and we have a large back yard he runs around in.

He sleeps next to my side of the bed at night. He is really just the best dog ever.

The left side is when I met him at the shelter (and had to leave them there for a couple of days so they could give him shots) and the right is after I loaded him up in the Jeep and told him Lets go home!

Old 08-20-2015, 08:20 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,784,784 times
I think a vet check is a good idea. It could just be the change in surroundings but it's better to check.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:24 PM

50 posts, read 45,335 times
WoW! I have my own dog into my house. We all of the family members like him a lot.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:30 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,995,604 times
What a sweet face. You two sound like a good fit. Keep us updated and let us know how he is doing.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:40 PM

20,132 posts, read 16,222,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Thanks everyone. I am feeding him what they were giving him at the shelter mixed with what I got for him. He was at the shelter for 2 days.

I am at home all day so I do spend a bit of time with him. I would say we go for three walks per day and we have a large back yard he runs around in.

He sleeps next to my side of the bed at night. He is really just the best dog ever.

The left side is when I met him at the shelter (and had to leave them there for a couple of days so they could give him shots) and the right is after I loaded him up in the Jeep and told him Lets go home!
I just love how happy he looks on the ride home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs