Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 05:58 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,198,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Mix breeds often are a better pet than some AKC registered animal.
And AKC registered dogs are often a better pet than a mixed breed. I seriously wish people would stop generalizing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 06:05 PM

17,154 posts, read 13,016,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I know that some foster/rescue groups charge outrageous amounts of money for their dogs and require
very extensive applications. Personally, I wouldn't go that direction, but that's up to you. (Where I live it's not an issue because there are waaaaaaaay too many dogs available at any given time than there are homes to keep them in.)

Good luck and thanks for adopting rather than buying from a breeder.
I wouldn't go through a rescue either. I have found the process extremely frustrating, time consuming, and ultimately was unsuccessful, and I even volunteered at the rescue myself! However, it is your decision, so do what you feel is best. I agree puppy pads are not a good idea because it teaches the puppy using the potty inside the house is OK, which is exactly the opposite lesson you're trying to teach her. Also, taking the puppy out even twice a day is not enough. Dogs can't hold it that long even as adults, so I suggest at least four times a day and much more often as puppies. Crate training is a good idea, but don't overuse the crate. The puppy should think of the crate as a save haven, not a prison. Good luck with your decision. I applaud you for thinking your decision through carefully and not jumping the gun when choosing a new friend.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:23 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,283,993 times
Have you considered an older dog? Even at a bigger size, they are usually potty trained, calm, and have no issue being left alone while you go to work. A lot of people cringe at the idea about older dogs thinking they are too old and not trainable, but that is not true at all. They are just as affectionate, appreciates a home and are less likely to bark than their younger, hyper counterparts.

My sister owns yorkies and they are quiet, calm and loving. They were more difficult to potty train without a crate. I also know other yorkies who are yappy and annoying. Picking a purebreed does not guarantee that the dog will follow that personality. A good dog comes in age, size, color and breed.

Take your time and check your local shelter. I bet you, you might find a wonderful dog that looks nothing like a yorkie or shi'zu.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:10 PM

380 posts, read 655,171 times
You shouldn't need wee-wee pads if you're getting a dog walker. Teaching dogs that it's OK to urinate inside the house is a bad idea, in my opinion.

My opinion is that you should plan to walk your dog twice per day minimum. (The dog walker might provide a shorter walk.) If you don't do this, prepare to have the barker you don't want. Smaller, squatter breeds like Frenchies can be fulfilled with shorter walks, but a Yorkie isn't exactly a couch potato.

Good luck with your dog, and kudos for doing your homework.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:36 AM

483 posts, read 657,722 times
I'm sure they mean sisters in the same way I refer to our beagle and hound as "brother and sister." Sheesh.

My advice, get one dog first. Learn how to crate train, pad train and just train in general. Dogs change the way you have to travel, come home from work, shop etc...Once you have it down with one then get a second. Not only will you know how to train BUT you can learn what kind of personality will work best for your 2nd dog.
When we got a 2nd we needed a super submissive, boy to match our dominate female dog. They are a perfect match, but I wouldn't have known Maddie's true colors, without owning her for a year.

Also, look. I live in the South(Texas) in Houston alone ONE shelter takes in over 20,000 animals a year(and we have 5 main shelters that take in that number a year). We have so many small dogs(and big) that need homes, I will never advocate for doing anything expect rescue a dog.
I can even give you some info on rescue groups here that transport dogs to other states, where they, thankfully, don't have a over population problem.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:56 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,684,283 times
Congratulations on getting a new dog. Being the owner of an 11 month old Airedale terrier I will say that it is an extremely rewarding experience.

I guess a few things I would point are one, what is your experience level with dogs. Obviously, everyone has to start somewhere but knowing your own dog skill level will help to be able to cater to your pups needs and in the end your own. If you are a novice you may want to think twice about adopting two dogs at the same time.

It's also great that you are researching the breeds characteristics and needs since different breeds obviously can have very different needs, energy levels, health issues and other characteristics.

Finally, even though the breed of the dog is important your attitude and willngness to learn and grow alongside your dog are even more important. Don't fall into the trap that a small dog will be good to spoil like a baby. You will be doing both of you a disservice. Yorkies are great dogs. A close friend of mine has one and they all live to together as one big happy family. Shih tzus are great too. Actually, all breeds are great, it's just a matter of finding one that is compatible with your lifestyle. Regardless, enjoy and have fun.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:00 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,996,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweitzm1 View Post
According to the website info they are sisters and came from the same home. Both will be under 10lbs when fully grown. I would get them when they are approximately 15 weeks old. I may just end up adopting both if I can't decide but I am at a loss of what breed will be better for me.

I am looking for a dog that will mostly be apartment bound.... I will walk the dog at least once a day hoping for two times a day depending on the weather.
Echoing what others have said: Do not adopt 2 dogs at the same time- not a good scenario for you or either dog.

What do you mean by "I am looking for a dog that will mostly be apartment bound"? You need to have realistic expectations on the amount of exercise and socialization a puppy needs. If you want a balanced happy well-adjusted dog it is critical to get pup outside, expose it (gently and safely) to all manner of people and sounds, and get it plenty of exercise. It doesn't matter whether it is a yorkie or a lab.

As well, please make sure that if you are buying from a breeder that it is a reputable breeder not a puppy mill. Don't be fooled by AKC registrations- the AKC does register puppy mill dogs- so if you are buying a dog be sure that you are 1) willing to spend the money to buy from a reputable breeder; 2) willing to go through the process of showing a reputable breeder that you will be a good home for pup.

Otherwise, please look into adopting- you have plenty of adoption options including city/county shelters, rescues, and breed specific rescues. You will be saving a life.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:08 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,524,640 times
Get an older one that only has to pee 2-3 times a day so you can do it in the morning and evening and have your dog walker come mid-day.

Puppies go like every 2 hours. Having them pee in your house is a bad idea.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:33 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,020,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
And AKC registered dogs are often a better pet than a mixed breed. I seriously wish people would stop generalizing.
That is just nonsense. The AKC has done more to ruin dogs that any organization on Earth.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:55 AM

621 posts, read 1,425,643 times
DCforever.... your statement is just so full of hot air.... The AKC has done more for dogs, purebred and mutts alike then any organization on earth. Why not go take a peek at some of these things AKC does for dogs, all dogs....

They donate millions to healthcare research-benefits all dogs!
About Us | AKC Canine Health Foundation

They spend millions to advocate for good dog legislation all around the country! Benefits all dogs
About Government Relations - American Kennel Club

They spend millions on helping owners and pets in time of disaster- benefits all dogs.!
AKCHumaneFund

They provide scholarships for students
http://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/am...cation2015.pdf

They supply grant money for rescue groups around the country- benefits all dogs!
AKCHumaneFund

They help new owners train their dogs to be responsible canine citizens- benefits all dogs!
Fun With Your Dog - American Kennel Club

They help reunite lost dogs with owners- benefits all dogs!
Lost and Found Dogs - American Kennel Club - American Kennel Club

They work with Therapy dog training groups- benefits all people and dogs!
AKC Therapy Dog Program - American Kennel Club

Now, tell me all the things that AKC doesn't do for dogs............ don't be misinformed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs