Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 05:23 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,279,213 times

Advertisements

I used deli meat, like sweet ham, wrap it around the pill several times to a size like a small meatball. Get the dog excited and give it to her quickly. Anything bite size your dog should automatically swallow without chewing.

Stuffing the pill in canned tuna meat should work too.

If it's a liquid medication, I mixed it with a little bit of milk and water or chicken broth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 07:33 AM

279 posts, read 544,931 times
I use Easy Cheese or canned pumpkin.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:46 AM

811 posts, read 1,558,065 times
Yes, with my doxie that would be no problem at all. But my other dog, completely different story. I had already gone through every type of deli meat there is, pastrami worked for about two days! I tried all kinds of foods, he was having none of it! These dogs aren't fools!! My boy had CHF and was, all things considered, still quite active and happy so in my case it wasn't a case of maybe time to let him go.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:18 AM

38 posts, read 63,202 times
I have a Siberian Husky. Many health issues but his time is not yet. Maybe a little out of the box but I stick the pills into gummy bears. I know I have been very careful about what he has always eaten. My thoughts are trying to give him the best quality of life I can at this point. He is 11 years and along with his other issues I am trying to help him with bone cancer. Vet feels too large and would not survive amputation. Not sure if I would do it anyway. My vet agrees with the gummy bears and feels as I do. Whatever works at this point. I am sure I will be condemned by a lot of people for what I do but the goal is to keep him comfortable till I pray he crosses over that bridge on his own. I have a pact with him that I will not have to make that choice. I hope upholds his end of the bargain. Anyway, gummy bears they work like a charm.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:24 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,429,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post

I hesitate to mention this, but is it possible your pup is just saying "no more"?
I agree. Poor puppy does not have much quality of life. Dogs might not look like they are in pain, but they are such stoic animals, they hide it very well. Perhaps it is time.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:30 AM

811 posts, read 1,558,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutx52 View Post
I have a Siberian Husky. Many health issues but his time is not yet. Maybe a little out of the box but I stick the pills into gummy bears. I know I have been very careful about what he has always eaten. My thoughts are trying to give him the best quality of life I can at this point. He is 11 years and along with his other issues I am trying to help him with bone cancer. Vet feels too large and would not survive amputation. Not sure if I would do it anyway. My vet agrees with the gummy bears and feels as I do. Whatever works at this point. I am sure I will be condemned by a lot of people for what I do but the goal is to keep him comfortable till I pray he crosses over that bridge on his own. I have a pact with him that I will not have to make that choice. I hope upholds his end of the bargain. Anyway, gummy bears they work like a charm.
I am with you, whatever works. I too prayed my beloved boy would not make me make that terrible decision and God bless him, he died in his sleep one night. It was an awful shock as he was as happy as a lark the day before, but his time had come.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:37 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,279,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
That thought has crossed my mind and is part of what has me so upset. He's not really eating like he used to anymore and even ignores his raw hides.
A vet once told me, make a list of the things your pet love to do every day. It could be a quiet evening walk, a game of fetch, looking for treats or sitting on your lap.

Then make a check next to each item he no longer does, not as much, or struggles doing in the past 3 days including today.

Did all items check off on your list?

Remember, dogs live by the moment. This list will help you step back and look at the big picture. The items on that list are everything that defines your beloved dog. It is who he was.

If you are confident he will not improve in the next 3 days, or possibly get worse, it is time to let go. Keeping him on meds only prolong the inevitable. His last days should be anything he loves, not the pills he despise.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:53 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,389,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
A vet once told me, make a list of the things your pet love to do every day. It could be a quiet evening walk, a game of fetch, looking for treats or sitting on your lap.

Then make a check next to each item he no longer does, not as much, or struggles doing in the past 3 days including today.

Did all items check off on your list?

Remember, dogs live by the moment. This list will help you step back and look at the big picture. The items on that list are everything that defines your beloved dog. It is who he was.

If you are confident he will not improve in the next 3 days, or possibly get worse, it is time to let go. Keeping him on meds only prolong the inevitable. His last days should be anything he loves, not the pills he despise.
Yep - this.

My dog hates the feel of receiving fluids. So I don't give them to her. (She runs in horror when she sees the fluid bag.) She's outlived the vet's expectations by two months in excellent shape. I give her proen and tramadol, supplement her prescription kidney food with wet food, give her cosequin and fish capsules, and she seems very happy.

She was over the moon yesterday when she got a professional massage - followed my friend the massage therapist all around the house afterwards like she'd go home with her.

I also buy her doggie sundaes from Good Times when I remember and surprise her with handfuls of treats. Her understudy dog makes her very happy too. He sleeps next to her until she falls asleep and then climbs up into the bed with me. It is the sweetest thing.

But really, my old girl just wants to sit with me and get the occasional scritch and hear the sound of my voice.

If she stops following me around or loses interest in food or exhibits any signs of pain that the tramadol isn't addressing (she is very stoic, so if she is showing pain, it's pretty severe), it will be time to let her go.

I'd say to let the medication go and spoil the bejesus out of him with the time you have left. If he's being that stubborn about it and he's in failing health, I'd just let him make the decisions.

My friend has a very stubborn hound who is very clever about avoiding medications, but he is overall a young and healthy dog. If your dog is starting this activity now after accepting it before, something has changed.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:29 PM

20,127 posts, read 16,179,285 times
My old boy looked at me like I had lost my mind when I tried the gummy bears. However, dear Lord..... I don't know what is in that cat food, but if someone told me it was doggie crack I'd believe them. I crushed all his pills and mixed them in, then buried the capsules in the clumps of meat. He inhaled it. His tail was wagging a mile a minute. We'll see how long this lasts, maybe it will do the trick.

When I talked to the vet today she said it is possible the antibiotics are what he is trying to avoid. He is only on the antibiotics another 3 days, so she encouraged me not make any decisions until a couple days afterwards. I am really, really hoping that is what is going on.

I know that day is coming soon, I do. I just am hoping for a little more time, but I sure don't want him to suffer.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:03 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
IF the vet thinks its the Antibiotics WHY don't she give you them in shots! When I was a breeder I kept antibiotic in my Refrigerator. Gave 1 shot every 24 hours for 3 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs