Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 05:35 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
My old boy looked at me like I had lost my mind when I tried the gummy bears. However, dear Lord..... I don't know what is in that cat food, but if someone told me it was doggie crack I'd believe them. I crushed all his pills and mixed them in, then buried the capsules in the clumps of meat. He inhaled it. His tail was wagging a mile a minute. We'll see how long this lasts, maybe it will do the trick.

I know that day is coming soon, I do. I just am hoping for a little more time, but I sure don't want him to suffer.
I am glad you found something that works that he likes.

Treasure your precious boy in the time you have left together; I wish you peace in whatever decision you make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 05:41 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
I don't know about "dressing it up." What we used to do was open his mouth, toss the pill in the back, clamp his mouth shut, and gently stroke his throat.

Can you crush the pills?

Old 09-15-2015, 05:54 PM

840 posts, read 773,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
My ancient dog, who is on a lot of medication, has quit taking his medicine, no matter how we dress it up.... Admittedly, he is on a lot of medicine - 2 different pain pills, rimdyl, joint supplement, and right now antibiotics, all twice a day.... He's now got a gum tumor on top of his arthritis and torn tendons. Any suggestions?
I suggest switching to Holistic -or- Naturopathic care for your canine.

For example, MSM is a great pain reliever:

". . . MSM offers a natural way to reduce pain and inflammation without serious side effects. While most analgesics simply block the pain signal to the brain, our [product] reduces the inflammation which causes pain, and as a result allows the body the chance to more readily heal itself. . . ." http://www.msmsource.com/about-msm/pain-relief/

"MSM is recommended by veterinarians for animals with ligament, tendon, muscle, and joint conditions. We use "_____" MSM for natural effective relief of inflammation and pain issues. MSM has properties similar to aspirin, without the possible aspirin/ibuprofin and similar aspirin side effects. MSM is excellent for joint or muscle pain relief. . . ." http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/naturvet_msm.html

I've personally taken MSM for sprains, the equivalent of carpal-tunnel of my elbow, bee & wasp stings, etc. I've given it to my dog for bee / wasp stings, too. (Her very noticeable swellings began going down shortly, & totally disappeared soon after. I never develop swelling if I take MSM right after a sting, but, I do otherwise.) . . . Also . . . When my other dog cut herself on the leg (down to tendons & ligaments), I gave MSM to her 2x daily for the week before we could get her to a vet, & kept her quiet). The vet said she could loose some of the skin, cleaned & stitched her up, but . . . she didn't loose any of that skin! . . . I continued giving it to her until she was healed, because it helps oxygenate tissue, & promotes healing . . . which is why it prevents & removes swelling . . . the cells stop leaking.)

It is bioavailable sulfur . . . a mineral . . . (not sulfide).

MSM is derived from DMSO. DMSO has been used on humans & animals, including injured race horses. DMSO is applied externally, but it stinks like sulfur -and- dilutes synthetics --like carpet fibers-- & ferries them (as well as many pathogens) through the skin into the patient's body . . . so it is often much more difficult to administer DMSO safely than MSM (which mixes easily in liquid, or can be taken in capsules . . . I prefer buying bulk powder, as I measure out different amounts for different patients, and, take mine straight tho bitter).

I have given MSM to our dogs with their dry kibble by first spraying the kibble with water (stirring it while spraying it), then sprinkling the MSM over it & shaking it a bit. My dogs ate that fine. I don't think its as bitter as pharmaceuticals . . . and, I find it to be much more efficient, and much safer.

Another example is Coconut Oil:

" . . . Benefits of coconut oil
There are many reasons to let your pet indulge in some coconut oil every day. For example, we now know that, unlike animal-based saturated fats that contribute to heart disease, coconut oil is actually heart healthy!

"Coconut oil also contains lauric acid . . . [which] converts in the body to monolaurin, a monoglyceride compound with numerous beneficial properties, including anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, anti-fungal and anti-protozoal. Lauric acid actually destroys lipid-coated bacteria, fungus and viruses such as herpes, the measles, influenza, hepatitis C and HIV, ringworm and athlete’s foot.

". . . Studies show that MCTs such as those . . . in coconut oil provide [many] health benefits, including:
• Improve digestion and absorption of fat-soluble vitamins
• Provide a rapid form of non-carbohydrate energy [used with Diabetes patients]
• Benefit the skin and coat
• Aid weight loss (MCTs increase metabolism, send signals of satiety & cannot be stored as fat)

Also, "coconut oil is scientifically proven to improve brain function in older dogs . . ."
http://drjeandoddspethealthresource....conut-for-pets . . ."

Animals that like Coconut oil will eat it straight. If a dog doesn't like it ever --or just on certain days-- I get it to a pasty consistency (it hardens around 75*F) & rub it on their paw/s. They usually feel compelled to lick it off. If not, I hold their nose up, stick a glob down their throat, and hold their mouth shut while stroking their throat . . . until they swallow a few times. If mushy or liquid when mixed with a favorite gravy, any well animal will likely gobble it down! It's always best not to have to force anything.

I used to go the conventional route . . . but, no one got much better, and often got worse, instead.

So, I now opt for natural health care for both my family & my pets.

So, that's what I suggest.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:46 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
I've suggested this in other threads where people have the same problems giving their dog meds.

Get some baby food from the baby section in your supermarket. We use beef or chicken. Our finicky old girl takes her meds no problem with this method. Just mix the meds into one tsp or more, depending on the amount of meds and size of your dog. Our other dog gets about a tbsp at the same time as a treat (LOVES IT) so the jar doesn't spoil before it's empty.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:27 AM

38 posts, read 63,158 times
I am so sorry for you Oldhag1. I know what you are going through and it is heart wrenching. I am sitting in the same position with my 11 year old Alex. I watch him looking for signs. I just pray to whoever is listening I do not have to make that choice. There are good days and not so good days. My baby was a rescue at 6 years so the vet said. Never had the puppy thing but I love him just the same. The last year has taken his toll and I see the decline. Never did I expect to hear the bone cancer diagnosis a few months ago. He is still walking and I know he is playing me big time some days but that's okay. Like you I know the day is coming in the near future. I did try cat food, baby food and the only thing that seems to work for me are gummy bears for now. Who knows about tomorrow. You are in my prayers. God Bless you.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:32 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutx52 View Post
I am so sorry for you Oldhag1. I know what you are going through and it is heart wrenching. I am sitting in the same position with my 11 year old Alex. I watch him looking for signs. I just pray to whoever is listening I do not have to make that choice. There are good days and not so good days. My baby was a rescue at 6 years so the vet said. Never had the puppy thing but I love him just the same. The last year has taken his toll and I see the decline. Never did I expect to hear the bone cancer diagnosis a few months ago. He is still walking and I know he is playing me big time some days but that's okay. Like you I know the day is coming in the near future. I did try cat food, baby food and the only thing that seems to work for me are gummy bears for now. Who knows about tomorrow. You are in my prayers. God Bless you.

I am so sorry. I am with you on this one, whatever will work, regardless of what anyone else thinks about it is what your Alex should get. Mine can play me all he wants too. I hope goes peacefully in his sleep for you.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:39 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I've suggested this in other threads where people have the same problems giving their dog meds.

Get some baby food from the baby section in your supermarket. We use beef or chicken. Our finicky old girl takes her meds no problem with this method. Just mix the meds into one tsp or more, depending on the amount of meds and size of your dog. Our other dog gets about a tbsp at the same time as a treat (LOVES IT) so the jar doesn't spoil before it's empty.
I also did that and did add some rice to it, Also I always did keep the baby food around in case the dog was feeling not well. My dog had turned 14 and was getting old she died in my arms but did eat that day and did act normal.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:28 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I don't know about "dressing it up." What we used to do was open his mouth, toss the pill in the back, clamp his mouth shut, and gently stroke his throat.
This dog I have would laugh at you. It's impossible.

Quote:
Can you crush the pills?
Proabaly want to check with the vet to make sure that is OK. Some medication may be designed for time release.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:33 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post

Are you crushing them first? My dog would laugh at you too.

I've covered them with everything known to mankind. Even getting like a piece of steak, cutting a little pocket for the pill and give it to her. Typically she would just about swallow something like that whole but I guess she smells the pill. She eats the steak and spits out the pill when she is done. I've even seen her sit there where you think she swallowed, she'll start walking away and thing falls out of the side her mouth. ROFL

The only success I've had is crushing it. I mix with little water and something I know she really wants to eat.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:34 PM

110 posts, read 86,700 times
I crush the pills and mix them with stuff they really really like. But then again, it's different from dog to dog. My Golden Retriever eats everything, whatever it is, so medicating her is easy. The bulldog is much more difficult. Food is not that important to him, so I usually ask the vet to substitute whatever he can with shots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs