Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 11:41 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,056,394 times

Advertisements

Related to my prior post about my fearful dog, here's a video of my dog doing her favorite thing - chasing a big dog on the other side of a fence.

THis behavior actually started a Human fight last year. One guy on the small dog side always yells at his dogs & sprays tehm with water when they start running (yes - IN the park). When my little dog was chasing like in this video, he approached me and asked why I allow my dog to do what she is doing. He complained that she is riling up the other dogs (on the contrary, it was common for many of the humans i the park to say "Hooray, Cocoa is here. Now our dogs will get some running in" when we arrived).

I just responded that she likes to run, but then the owner of the Pit that she ran with got in the middle telling that guy to mind his own business, etc., and the two of them got into a fight. The Pit's owner was pushed by the guy who complained, but did not respond in kind (He happens to be involved in professional sports and he knew better than to fight anyone). But lots of nasty words before they both walked away.

SO -is my dog showing aggression towards the bigger dogs, or is she just having fun? Or is she showing fear?

What do y'all think?

BTW - in the video, my dog is the one in the pink shirt, and the one with the high pitched bark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSUCJQx692Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 11:54 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,287,315 times
Oh no, doesn't look like aggression to me. My sister's yorkies did the same with a bigger dog and he loves it. Your dog was just having some fun and being hyper. Chasing others and being chased is a common game dogs play.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:56 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,287,315 times
Fyi, watch how your dog pauses when he paused... she is playing a game of chase and watching for his cue to run again.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:33 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,056,394 times
The funny thing about this Pit - when no one was chasing, he'd sit by the fence looking into the small dog park & actually cry. He really loved playing chase.

Unfortunately, the owner got another Pit - it was actually this one's sister, and if any other dog got near that one, he'd attack it. They eventually had to stop coming to the park. I heard that the prior owner & this owner tried many different typres of therapies to stop that dog's aggressiveness but not yet successful. So here were two siblings with totally opposite personalities.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:46 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,650,899 times
Aw, cute video - really looks like playing to me, they are alternating chasing each other.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:02 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,284,497 times
I don't allow my dog to do that at the dog park- huge pet peeve of mine and it does get other dogs riled up.

If you put your little dog on the other side do you actually think they would play together?

Old 10-15-2015, 02:19 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,248,754 times
Looks like play to me. No aggressive barks or snaps (some inviting barks, but I didn't hear or see aggressiveness), the waiting at certain points to cue the other dog, the third dog trying to join in... Dogs just having dog fun.

My Taffy is a runner for play (when not fetching a ball), and Tuck wrestles for play - different dogs, different "play" styles. Looks to me like you have a dog that runs for play.

Personally I am not a fan of dog parks, but I am fortunate that I have a couple of farm fields in walking distance, and a couple of beach parks locally for off leash play for my dogs, and I have 3 dogs (and a foster for a few months), so the dogs have known play mates, and a single human authority when they are out romping.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:35 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,650,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
I don't allow my dog to do that at the dog park- huge pet peeve of mine and it does get other dogs riled up.

If you put your little dog on the other side do you actually think they would play together?
Totally agree about little dogs and big dogs but it seems like with the fence in between it's ok?

Then again, I stopped going to dog parks entirely.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:10 PM

I don't bring my dog to the dog park to run and bark at dogs along the fence so I would definitely redirect my dog if she tried that. I consider it fence fighting. It's a bad habit and I would discourage it. Just my .02

Old 10-15-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Looks like play to me. No aggressive barks or snaps (some inviting barks, but I didn't hear or see aggressiveness), the waiting at certain points to cue the other dog, the third dog trying to join in... Dogs just having dog fun.

My Taffy is a runner for play (when not fetching a ball), and Tuck wrestles for play - different dogs, different "play" styles. Looks to me like you have a dog that runs for play.

Personally I am not a fan of dog parks, but I am fortunate that I have a couple of farm fields in walking distance, and a couple of beach parks locally for off leash play for my dogs, and I have 3 dogs (and a foster for a few months), so the dogs have known play mates, and a single human authority when they are out romping.

You are lucky. No beaches here. I take my dog on off leash hikes but I have to be careful because other dogs and people are around. I honestly hate dog parks but I have setter and she needs to be able to run safely off leash. Sometimes I take her at 430-500am just so I can avoid other dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs