Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 05:25 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,990,048 times

Advertisements

I wasn't able to blow up the video to full screen so wasn't able to see anything but the running back and forth with the larger dog.

It appeared to be "just" play, BUT it isn't a best practice. I would not allow my dogs to do that. The issue is that that sort of behavior can turn into fence fighting, building up frustration for both dogs because they can't get at each other to really play thus the running back and forth. Then if they were to get into the same play area that frustration can redirect and become problematic.

I do not take my dogs to public dog parks. There is the potential for too many issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 05:45 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,610,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
I don't bring my dog to the dog park to run and bark at dogs along the fence so I would definitely redirect my dog if she tried that. I consider it fence fighting. It's a bad habit and I would discourage it. Just my .02
Oh, I do see what you mean and wasn't even thinking of it that way. Ugh, dog parks. Seemed like such a good idea in theory.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:50 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,389,793 times
Meh. If you can't control your dog or monitor its reactions, you have no business being at the dog park. My cattle dog/kelpie gets to run a few back and forth stretches with the fence-running dogs at the DP I go to, and then he comes back to play with me and the Houla. I use it as an opportunity to practice recall with him. It seems to be a great form of exercise for the other dogs that do it - never seen a fight break out or things get ugly, and the little dogs spend their time on either side of the fence. But given I have herding dogs, I like to keep potentially obsessive behaviors in check.

We've actually had a big problem with 1) people who just let their dogs viciously attack other dogs despite plenty of warning and then blame the attacked dog lately and 2) people who freak out at the slightest curled lip and scurry off with their beloved in their arms, preventing appropriate socialization. The fence-runner dogs haven't been the problem at all - their interactions are just pure fun for them. And more than once, when a large, unneutered and unknown dog has shown up at the big dog section, us regulars have crowded over to the little dog side, and everyone has played just fine with the dogs that they were chasing back and forth along the fence line moments ago.

As long as the dog isn't being aggressive or rough with other dogs or people, you don't get to say how other owners exercise their dogs at the dog park. If you don't like what's going on, you don't have to stay. You certainly don't tell people how they should be handling their dog - after all, if their dog's behavior is going to corrupt your little darling, you obviously don't have very good control over your own animal, and that's your problem, not anyone else's.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:13 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,766,127 times
It's playing.

Also, have you considered turning your phone to the side when you record?

Old 10-15-2015, 07:25 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,046,982 times
All the negativity about dog parks here - I actually do agree to an extent. But living in a high-rise, I don't have many other options for getting her to run. She raced when she was younger, but last year was her last race. THe 1 & 2 year olds do most of the racing now. But that was only once a month, and for only about 5 - 6 months. And the location of the races had to move, so it became way too far to go.

One time she actually was aggressive to another dog - can't understand why. She Yelped at the dog, which was weird, because that's the sound she makes when she gets hurt, but the other dog did not touch her. Simply called her to COME, put on her leash, and then the next time she met the same dog they were OK.

As far as other options, there are several places to hike with the dogs, ON leash, but in most of these places there are dogs off leash, and in too many cases, the dogs are out of control. So we're really left with little option for now. THat's one reason we'll be building a house with a backyard. THen we can invite some doggie friends over for playdates and not hae to worry about the Park.

But she sure does love the park. Any mention of the word park, and she perks up & is really anxious to get out of the house & into the car.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:36 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,238,191 times
I wouldn't call it negativity on dog parks, just a realistic concern about the potential for problems.

For those of us with Pits and Pit mixes (Taffy is an Am Staff mix), dog parks hold a special danger. Our dogs are ALWAYS considered at fault and the aggressor if something goes bad, and while most folks in a dog park are responsible and control their dogs, it seems there is always a yahoo (and unfortunately, that yahoo could well be a Pit owner - figured I'd get that out there before some one posted it after this post) that feels no need to curb or control an aggressive or problematic dog.

It is simply not worth the risk if you have other options (I do), but if that was my only option for some off leash time for my dog, I would likely use a dog park (at low use times, and preferably with dogs/dog owners I knew).

Old 10-15-2015, 07:47 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,046,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
I wouldn't call it negativity on dog parks, just a realistic concern about the potential for problems.

For those of us with Pits and Pit mixes (Taffy is an Am Staff mix), dog parks hold a special danger. Our dogs are ALWAYS considered at fault and the aggressor if something goes bad, and while most folks in a dog park are responsible and control their dogs, it seems there is always a yahoo (and unfortunately, that yahoo could well be a Pit owner - figured I'd get that out there before some one posted it after this post) that feels no need to curb or control an aggressive or problematic dog.

It is simply not worth the risk if you have other options (I do), but if that was my only option for some off leash time for my dog, I would likely use a dog park (at low use times, and preferably with dogs/dog owners I knew).
Pit's need a good PR person! :-)

We leave the park if it gets crowded. And do not go at all on weekends.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:06 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,255,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
I don't allow my dog to do that at the dog park- huge pet peeve of mine and it does get other dogs riled up.

If you put your little dog on the other side do you actually think they would play together?
Just what I was thinking. I also would never allow my dog to do that.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:07 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,279,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
All the negativity about dog parks here - I actually do agree to an extent. But living in a high-rise, I don't have many other options for getting her to run. She raced when she was younger, but last year was her last race. THe 1 & 2 year olds do most of the racing now. But that was only once a month, and for only about 5 - 6 months. And the location of the races had to move, so it became way too far to go.

One time she actually was aggressive to another dog - can't understand why. She Yelped at the dog, which was weird, because that's the sound she makes when she gets hurt, but the other dog did not touch her. Simply called her to COME, put on her leash, and then the next time she met the same dog they were OK.

As far as other options, there are several places to hike with the dogs, ON leash, but in most of these places there are dogs off leash, and in too many cases, the dogs are out of control. So we're really left with little option for now. THat's one reason we'll be building a house with a backyard. THen we can invite some doggie friends over for playdates and not hae to worry about the Park.

But she sure does love the park. Any mention of the word park, and she perks up & is really anxious to get out of the house & into the car.
The yelping is not necessarily aggression. It's your dog saying, "please don't hurt me, I'm scared of you of what you would do even though you didn't do anything wrong (yet)!". My older dog is like that too. She would rumble with my younger one but yelps when she feels Mushu was getting the upper hand, even though that's not true. The yelp immediately tells the other party to stop or take a short break. Again, it's a normal response to a play or a game when your dog wants to stop for a moment.

Secondly, dog parks are a gamble. Sometimes you get nice doggies, other times you don't. I take them to the park at a time when it's not crowded. The parks are great, just wish the city would hire a fulltime professional trainer to supervise the place.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:26 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,265,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Meh. If you can't control your dog or monitor its reactions, you have no business being at the dog park. My cattle dog/kelpie gets to run a few back and forth stretches with the fence-running dogs at the DP I go to, and then he comes back to play with me and the Houla. I use it as an opportunity to practice recall with him. It seems to be a great form of exercise for the other dogs that do it - never seen a fight break out or things get ugly, and the little dogs spend their time on either side of the fence. But given I have herding dogs, I like to keep potentially obsessive behaviors in check.

We've actually had a big problem with 1) people who just let their dogs viciously attack other dogs despite plenty of warning and then blame the attacked dog lately and 2) people who freak out at the slightest curled lip and scurry off with their beloved in their arms, preventing appropriate socialization. The fence-runner dogs haven't been the problem at all - their interactions are just pure fun for them. And more than once, when a large, unneutered and unknown dog has shown up at the big dog section, us regulars have crowded over to the little dog side, and everyone has played just fine with the dogs that they were chasing back and forth along the fence line moments ago.

As long as the dog isn't being aggressive or rough with other dogs or people, you don't get to say how other owners exercise their dogs at the dog park. If you don't like what's going on, you don't have to stay. You certainly don't tell people how they should be handling their dog - after all, if their dog's behavior is going to corrupt your little darling, you obviously don't have very good control over your own animal, and that's your problem, not anyone else's.
most dog parks have signs that state no excessive barking-running along the fence barking would fall under that rule. 99% of the time its a first timer that lets their dog run the fence, old timers know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs