Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2015, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,558 times

Advertisements

Heartfelt thoughts go to all whom have lost a beloved pet. I know how much it hurts and how it is a great loss. a piece of you goes with them.

I found my dog dead at home:

I have just lost my beautiful Staffordshire Bull Terrier Boo Boo just over a week ago now. I had his little casket back yesterday, I rescued him at 2.5 years of age. he was 13 and half years old. he died at home naturally. Exactly where he would have wanted to, I helped him through. I'm so Devastated my heart is in many pieces, but I know he's at peace now. his kidneys were not in good shape started to fail him but he never failed me.

The grief is unimaginable I know, this is my second staffie my other was 14,5 years old and didn't die at home which I regretted having to make that choice for him.

Boo was a loyal friend who never asked for anything but love... unconditionally by my side, even when I nearly died he was by my side the love he gave was immeasurable

In all the years he picked me up through out all my down days and the early deaths of my parents he knew I was grieving my mum cancer at 50 years old and my daddy just 6 months after broken heart. he was there every time no question. He'd sleep by my side. Animals know and understand more than most give them credit for.

He took three cats under his wing and protected each one. 1 kitten 1 abandoned cat and a friends cat who is 11.5 now and known him 8 years he is grieving badly and wont leave his bed they where inseparable.

He went down hill rapidly from a bouncy wonderful loving dog to a withdrawn old pooch in pain. He was nearly blind he was deaf after numerous vet visits I couldn't put him through one more, they wanted more urine tests more blood tests next week I couldn't put him through it. everyone loved this little guy who carried his stick for many years to the corner shop. Was cuddled by many children was adored by everyone who knew him.

He was in pain but he tried not to show it always trying to please the ones he loved he wanted his last week to make us all happy, we took him to the seaside he tried so hard to walk across the beach with my other half and I. he would only walk with him towards the end they were soul mates. he slept with his companion cat all day and night for all that week (he'd sleep with him most days) they both knew he was becoming worse there last moments together were incredibly moving the bond they shared they were inseparable from the start to the end. the cat still waits for him to come home laying on the dogs bed day and night. he use to walk with the cats and my other half people couldn't believe what they saw walking round the field with 3 cats, his last walk he took the kitten around the field the kitten would meow if I was walking too fast and I'd wait for boo he was struggling even the 1 year old kitten knew. he didn't make it far was failing so we went home. he wanted too but just couldn't any more was so sad to see such a wonderful dog go through this, kidney failing is horrible to watch your dog go though. luckily he wasn't at the stage of vomiting just the rapid decline in weight and strength. I couldn't put him through any more, I would have him put to sleep if he didn't decide to go that afternoon. definitely no more tests that's just cruel. why a vet suggests this is beyond me.

I knew I had to let him go in peace and with my blessing he ate some food a some water, he needed to know somehow that it was okay to go now and that We would be okay and the cats would be okay. He was holding on for us. after he ate I took him upstairs to a quiet room with two sofas in I placed him on one with a cushion under his head I'd done this a few times this week, I hugged him told him it was okay covered him with his blanket gave him a little of dog friendly herbs to relax him gave him one of his Tramadol,

from Recipes, Cooking Tips and Resources - Chowhound Food Community website I found herbs they liked quote from them "They also appreciate a little novelty. “Despite their liking for a basic beef diet, variety is important,” says Houpt. Dogs will eat carrots, blueberries, and peanut butter, and appear to enjoy star anise, rosemary, tarragon, and oregano. But they’ll eat them for only a week before tiring of them. They altogether avoid spicier things like cinnamon and chili pepper." I also looked at thousands of other sites to find the best possible herbs to relieve his pain... I then left him in peace I was in the next room.

He passed away within the hour. I went in under an hour later he was cold. (Tongue out pooped too)
Although I knew it was his time it was still a shock to see him lay dead, he hadn't moved from where I lay him. I'm sure the herbs the prescribed Tramadol and that he knew he was loved helped him go peacefully. I read that dogs like to be alone to die I'm sure he knew I was in the next room. I'd left him in that room many time for peace and always popped in every half hour this time he was gone.

I came across this poem "Rainbow Bridge" Then I found there is actually a Rainbow bridge in Utah sacred and a national monument and its beautiful I'd like to think that there is such a place were they wait for us. "When a beloved pet dies Rainbow Bridge opens the gates"

If you have just lost your pet you must watch the poem I cried non stop

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcQvYh_3Atw&app=desktop

also take a look at pictures of the real rainbow bridge "a rainbow turned to stone by nature"

Rainbow Bridge National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

Rainbow Bridge is on wiki too its in the middle of nowhere

God Bless,

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...#ixzz3ol1CGGrR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 01:53 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
sorry for your loss . This must have been the week for animals passing away my cousins dog passed a couple of day ago and then my friends dog passed yesterday and another one today and it so sad . it is never easy letting them go .

Old 10-16-2015, 01:55 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,533,575 times
Yes it's awful we had to put out Siberian husky down at 14 because he was in pain.

I'm 30 now and still think of him today

I'm truly truly sorry for you loss mate

Last edited by Londoncowboy30; 10-16-2015 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: Sorry forgot the most important part

Old 10-16-2015, 02:40 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,560,415 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. He will always remember you, and that you loved him.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:43 PM

7,336 posts, read 2,744,132 times
So sorry for your loss. I am dreading the day it comes for my 2 twelve year olds.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:32 PM

7 posts, read 5,530 times
Sorry for your loss, sounds like a great dog that was very loved. I've never been through this but seriously dread the day. Just wanted to say sorry and hugs.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:50 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,358,419 times
I am so sorry for your loss. Know that you loved each other unconditionally and now he is out of pain. We have all been there and it never gets any easier.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:51 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,121,943 times
I'm so sorry about your pup. I know your heart is heavy with grief. From your lovely and heartfelt tribute to your boy, it's obvious there was a deep and abiding love between the two of you...and everyone he met. It sounds like he was a wonderful dog and your life has been blessed.

Take care...and yes, I love the Rainbow Bridge as well. We lost our 11 1/2 year old Boston Terrier Sammy Davis in March and still miss him terribly. He passed away at home with us and our four other pups rallying round.

We'll miss them forever...that's for sure.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:29 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,986,422 times
So sorry for your loss..
One easter Sunday we went out not knowing that would be the last time we saw our doberman.
I still remember his look at us in the doorway .
He climbed up on the couch and passed.
It was horrible to open up the door, call for himm, then go searching for him.
He was 12.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:32 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,383,296 times
I'm very sorry about the loss of your boy. Even if it is expected, it can be very hard to take. I find comfort whenever a pet who passes (either naturally, or vet-assisted) has enjoyed a happy, well-loved life.

I too had a dog who passed away at home. She wasn't very old - not quite 10 - and was my son's little beagle mix. She had health issues, having originally come from a suspected puppy mill, but she did have a wonderful, happy life running and exploring the outdoors with my son, going to my sister's cottage in the summertime, and lazing and relaxing about the house. She died unexpectedly, in her sleep overnight, and I discovered later that she had a blood infection that had gone unnoticed. When I found her that morning I thought she was sleeping, curled up in a little ball on the sofa, her favourite spot. I took her death hard, my son took it even harder. But Misty had a been a wonderful friend and family member, and she lived life well.

When we lose a pet we grieve, sometimes very deeply. Yet at the same time we should remember to embrace the love we had for them, and remember to smile at all the memories they gave us, and to laugh at all of the times they did silly things. We loved them well, just as they loved us. And what more can we ask than that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs