Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:10 PM

40 posts, read 165,043 times

Advertisements

And I don't know what to do for her! She was fine this morning when we got up and went out for our walk. When I got home this afternoon she was sleeping (she usually greets me at the door for some play time), she didn't want to go out (hubby had taken her out an hour and a half earlier so I didn't fret it) she then ate her dinner and about 10 minutes later had an "accident" in the house. We cleaned it up and I took her out. She was moving pretty slowly, did her business (both specimines normal looking) and wanted to go back inside- only giving cursory glances at the squirrels that she usually likes to chase. Since we came back, she has been laying in her bed for the most part. She doesn't want treats, she got up when I went to the store only long enough to make sure it was us and is back in her bed again. I think her tummy is bothering her but the only thing I can think of that she might have gotten was some cinnamon that my other half spilled on the floor and missed. I am fixated on the tummy because she has really smelly burps/breathe today.

Any suggestions on making her feel better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 06:19 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,558 times
I would call the vet. She might have gotten hold of something that's poison.

Or she might just have an upset stomach. But it's better to be safe than sorry.

I hope she's okay!

Old 04-16-2008, 06:30 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,170,652 times
Yeah, call your vet and watch her like a hawk! Sorry she isn't feeling good, hope she'll get better and this is just a temp. thing

Old 04-16-2008, 07:32 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Have you called the vet yet? What kind of dog and how old? Is she drinking water? Is her stomach hard?

Old 04-16-2008, 07:57 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,919 times
Ditto. She needs to go to the vet. Also, don't leave her alone at all until she is feeling better and take her to the puppy ER if she gets worse.

She could have gotten in to anything and the lethargy is very concerning.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:52 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Lethargy is a really bad sign in an otherwise active dog. One of mine got a high fever (unknown cause) and was so lethargic, she didn't want to go outside, just stood there and looked at me. If you have a 24-hr. pet ER, take her in.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-16-2008 at 11:52 PM.. Reason: correct typo

Old 04-17-2008, 11:54 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,170,652 times
Any news???

Old 04-17-2008, 04:14 PM

40 posts, read 165,043 times
Thumbs up Thanks so much Guys and Gals!

I am so glad I listened to you and made the appt for first thing today. Watching her till 4am, hubby noticed that her tummy was fine- it was her legs that seemed to be giving her trouble. We called the vet this morning, they got her in today, and she actually has a ruptured disk in her back. The doc said that looking at her today- the pain was probably traveling down as the disk swelled.

She is on prednisone (for 10 days), hydrocodone and a muscle relaxer (for up to 6 days) and is confined to her crate for a minimum of two weeks. The doc said that once the prednisone kicks in, she will think she is back to normal and want to hop up on the couch and bed or go up and down the stairs like normal and that could cause a setback. The doc is checking her progress next week. She is currently resting comfortably (drugged up) in her crate and I have a half a dozen chicken breasts boiling and some rice steaming to give her something that will settle her tummy while she is taking the meds.

Oh- and she is a 4 yo Yorkie/Jack Russell cross and the light of my life.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:34 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,558 times
Oh, wow, it's so good you caught that early! I'm sure she'll be fine.

Those chicken breasts and rice will perk her right up, I'll bet.

I'm glad she'll be OK. They can really scare you, can't they?

Old 04-17-2008, 11:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
I had a 20 lb. guy who had the same problem. My vet wanted me to carry him in/out to pee but I have a bad back, too. After 1 trip, I decided it was him, not me who might have trouble. The vet also wanted me to never again let him play with his 60 lb. "sister." Try explaining that to a dog! He never again had any problems. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs