Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,872 times

Advertisements

My 11 year old lab has arthritis and lost all control of her hind legs, I bought a harness so I'm able to help her out to go potty, she weighs 80 pounds and I can't pick her up.
The vet had her on pain medication that isn't really helping that much, she crys at night and has started soiling herself in her sleep and when I'm away at work.
I'm having a very hard time letting go because she still eats and drinks, telling myself she isn't ready when I know she is.
I'm feeling very sad and guilty at the same time for not doing something sooner.
The thing is this all happend so fast, she was diagnosed with arthritis only 3 months ago.
I've never had to put a dog down before and this is killing me, but I know it's time.
So sorry for anyone having go through this, but we can't let them suffer, and if their quality of life is gone they are suffering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 09:47 PM

42,876 posts, read 26,418,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana2006 View Post
My 11 year old lab has arthritis and lost all control of her hind legs, I bought a harness so I'm able to help her out to go potty, she weighs 80 pounds and I can't pick her up.
The vet had her on pain medication that isn't really helping that much, she crys at night and has started soiling herself in her sleep and when I'm away at work.
I'm having a very hard time letting go because she still eats and drinks, telling myself she isn't ready when I know she is.
I'm feeling very sad and guilty at the same time for not doing something sooner.
The thing is this all happend so fast, she was diagnosed with arthritis only 3 months ago.
I've never had to put a dog down before and this is killing me, but I know it's time.
So sorry for anyone having go through this, but we can't let them suffer, and if their quality of life is gone they are suffering.
I'm so sorry, it's so difficult. I'm pretty old and have outlived several of my furry friends, a few died in their sleep but others I have had to have euthanized. Don't feel guilty, it's something all of us have to face with our pets and it's never easy, but it's unfair to allow them to suffer.

Rainbow Bridge Poem
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Old 11-02-2015, 04:58 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,994,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana2006 View Post
When I had to euthanize my dog about 18 months ago, my vet came to my house so my dog could die peacefully at home on his bed. If your vet won't come to your house, then see if there is a mobile house call vet in your area.
I know it is a heart-wrenching decision to make, but your sweet girl needs you to make this final decision for her.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:37 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,404,485 times
I know it is a hard thing to go though.

When we had to put our labs down they took a piece of our soul with them...........but, in time we realized they also left a piece of themselves with us.

And that is forever.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:10 AM

2,710 posts, read 3,396,944 times
FROM FRIEND TO FRIEND
You're giving me a special gift,
So sorrowfully endowed,
And through these last few cherished days,
Your courage makes me proud.

But really, love is knowing
When your best friend is in pain,
And understanding earthly acts
Will only be in vain.

So looking deep into your eyes,
Beyond, into your soul,
I see in you the magic, that will
Once more make me whole.

The strength that you possess,
Is why I look to you today,
To do this thing that must be done,
For it's the only way.

That strength is why I've followed you,
And chose you as my friend,
And why I've loved you all these years...
My partner 'til the end.

Please, understand just what this gift,
You're giving, means to me,
It gives me back the strength I've lost,
And all my dignity.

You take a stand on my behalf,
For that is what friends do.
And know that what you do is right,
For I believe it too.

So one last time, I breathe your scent,
And through your hand I feel,
The courage that's within you,
To now grant me this appeal.

Cut the leash that holds me here,
Dear friend, and let me run,
Once more a strong and steady dog,
My pain and struggle done.

And don't despair my passing,
For I won't be far away,
Forever here, within your heart,
And memory I'll stay.
I'll be there watching over you, Your ever faithful friend,
And in your memories I'll run,
...a young dog once again.

~ Karen Clouston

Old 11-02-2015, 08:20 AM

2,710 posts, read 3,396,944 times
I've been there with our Yorkie Frisco. It pained me to have the make the decision, but also was a relief to know that he suffered no longer.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:49 AM

21 posts, read 24,037 times
I have an older dog too and I worry about when that day comes and I have wondered why dogs have such short lives. What made me feel a little better is to think from a dog's perspective. Dogs really have to rely on their owners for everything. I'm sure my dog wants to be at the park right now eating a steak but I have to work. I just think to myself - what if I was a dog, how long would I want to be a dog for?

Anyhow, I'm very sorry to hear about your dog.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:22 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,129,155 times
I'm so sorry you're facing this terrible loss of your sweet girl. It's just the hardest thing to do but if the final act of kindness and love you can show and do for her. Be kind to yourself too...grief is the price we pay for love and I know your memories will make this easier to bear in time.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:41 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,485,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
but your sweet girl needs you to make this final decision for her.
This is spot on.

Hugs to you during this tough time. I cried every day for 2 week when we put our dog down two years ago. I still miss her but I know we did the right thing. She had cancer and some would say we put her down too early but to me, it was not too early as I did not want her to suffer any more than she already had. I owed her that.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:26 AM

761 posts, read 834,823 times
I lost Toby, my best buddy, a 13 year old Sheltie due to liver cancer back in March.
The last week as I was deciding on bringing in a vet to do home euthanasia, he died in his sleep, sparing me having to watch him pass. It was his final gift to me.

There are several places that will come out and do the euthanasia at home. it sounds like a beautiful ceremony and they give you the time you need to say goodbye. If it had come to it, I would have preferred this to taking him to a cold, sterile vet's office where everyone can witness your grief. But, Toby went out on his terms and not mine.

Never will forget him and the pain and longing still remain even after 8 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs