Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 06:40 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,287,487 times

Advertisements

I was reading over some of this blogger's article about how costly it is to have a dog. He talks about more food and vet care, other minor expenses most don't think of.

Great News! Dog Ownership is Optional!

I consider myself to be frugal and I adopted 2 large dogs, a cat and fosters kittens. I grew up with dogs and I never thought of owning them was optional or a privilege. My pets helped me deal with my anxiety and go through tough times, like when I found out my mother was diagnosed with cancer. Family and friends are great but dogs hold a special place in my heart.

As long as they are well cared for and thrive under your care, I personally think everyone should at least try to care for one to experience the priceless bond between man and dog.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 06:43 AM

45,756 posts, read 61,143,089 times
I think that a person should be able to choose to own, or not, a pet for whatever reason they want.

Are you suggesting that pet ownership be governmentally mandated?

Old 11-05-2015, 06:50 AM

4,930 posts, read 4,267,660 times
LOL..of course it's optional!

But, for me, dogs are a must have.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:55 AM

1,675 posts, read 1,943,519 times
As long as they are well cared for and thrive under your care, I personally think everyone should at least try to care for one to experience the priceless bond between man and dog.

What do you think?[/quote]

No, no, and no for any reason anyone can think of. Some people hate animals, are terrified of them, Have severe allergies to them, are just flat out too stupid (greatly lacking in common sense).

The lacking common sense is how I ended up with the many rescues I have taken in thru the years and KEPT THEM to their end times, regardless of their individual quirks.

There are "owners of critters" who are so stupid when it comes to that animal's care, they shouldn't even be allowed to own a stuffed animal off the WalMart shelf.

This thread should die before it gets started, IMHO.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:03 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,001,767 times
It is all about choices. I live very frugally (by choice)- cheap cell phone I spend maybe $100/year on, no cable TV, no eating out, tiny house, keep utilities low, no debt, etc. My one non-essential expense is $150 +/- monthly for my dogs. That roughly equals what someone else would spend on a cable TV package and/or a cell phone plan. Whatever I spend on my dogs is well worth every penny considering how much they contribute to my quality of life. Life with dogs = priceless.

That said- NO, not everyone should have a dog. How do you think all those dogs end up in shelters? That is as silly as saying everybody should have a child. NO.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:04 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,760,633 times
There are many people who should not have a dog. It's a huge undertaking... and I say this as someone who has children and who hosts other people's children for a year at a time (exchange students). I grew up with dogs but we just got our first family dog last year (after being married for 16 years, when the kids were 13 and 11). He is a big responsibility, with training, expenses, and spending adequate time walking/interacting with him. Of course, we have him because he brings us much joy... but I am not one of those people who feels that they must have a dog. He might be our last dog; we'll see!

Old 11-05-2015, 08:29 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,047,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post

What do you think?
Sure it's optional.

I grew up with dogs, but spent the majority of my adult life with cats. With the way my lifestyle was, it was by far the better choice for me. I now have two dogs who came to me through twists of fate. Though they are well cared for, I'd be lying if I said that they didn't feel like a burden at times. I certainly wouldn't say that everyone should try it.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:49 AM

50,533 posts, read 64,510,285 times
I can think of so many reasons not to have a dog, but I still miss having one. We have a trip coming up in February, but I think after that I will start the full frontal assault on DH about a dog. I miss having something to fuss over.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:17 AM

25,852 posts, read 20,792,935 times
It is completely optional but I wouldn't want to live without one.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:46 AM

13,943 posts, read 39,470,645 times
According to my local & state laws I own my dogs...dogs are Property. BUT that's not true They Own me! Boy are they Bossy When their food and water bowls are empty its me they Order to fill it. When they need to go out its Me they bring their leashes to. When they want to play its Me they bring ALL their toys to. So don't tell me I own them! I am Not their boss they are mine! & I wouldn't change a thing [that was part of a poem a friend of my boss wrote for me back in 1980s.... sorry I cant remember the rest...yes it was published in several dog mags ]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs