Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 09:51 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times

Advertisements

When I don't have a dog, I feel like I'm missing a limb.

I remember something my best friend once said - I had been in a rough spot and the possibility of having to find a home for my border collie had come up. I was distraught and my therapist at the time said since I had always had dogs, maybe I should use the opportunity of not having a dog to find out if I was a dog person or not. After all, she said, I didn't need a dog.

My best friend snorted when I recounted this to her. "You don't need your arm. Maybe you're not an arm person. Or your spleen - maybe you should get rid of that. Technically you can survive just fine without it."

Yeah, I could do without a dog. But it wouldn't feel right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 10:38 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,413,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
I was reading over some of this blogger's article about how costly it is to have a dog. He talks about more food and vet care, other minor expenses most don't think of.

Great News! Dog Ownership is Optional!

I consider myself to be frugal and I adopted 2 large dogs, a cat and fosters kittens. I grew up with dogs and I never thought of owning them was optional or a privilege. My pets helped me deal with my anxiety and go through tough times, like when I found out my mother was diagnosed with cancer. Family and friends are great but dogs hold a special place in my heart.

As long as they are well cared for and thrive under your care, I personally think everyone should at least try to care for one to experience the priceless bond between man and dog.

What do you think?
All it takes is one critical incident to run up a large vet bill.

Anyone who does not have certain fiscal criteria met, is irresponsible to acquire pets, IMHO.

It's not about you and your wants.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:03 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,766,814 times
Quote:
I was reading over some of this blogger's article about how costly it is to have a dog. He talks about more food and vet care, other minor expenses most don't think of.

I consider myself to be frugal and I adopted 2 large dogs, a cat and fosters kittens. I grew up with dogs and I never thought of owning them was optional or a privilege. My pets helped me deal with my anxiety and go through tough times, like when I found out my mother was diagnosed with cancer. Family and friends are great but dogs hold a special place in my heart.

As long as they are well cared for and thrive under your care, I personally think everyone should at least try to care for one to experience the priceless bond between man and dog.

What do you think?
Absolutely not. I think that's an awful idea. Some people are not cut out to be dog or pet owners. Either because they don't like animals (which is totally fine), don't have the time or cannot afford to properly care for them. I don't mean they have to be able to afford expensive food, toys or bedding but they have to be able to afford to feed them, provide shelter for them and provide any needed vet care and medicine.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:42 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
All it takes is one critical incident to run up a large vet bill.

Anyone who does not have certain fiscal criteria met, is irresponsible to acquire pets, IMHO.

It's not about you and your wants.
While you sit there & save your money for What Might happen You are missing out on a Lot of love.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:55 PM

50,385 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
While you sit there & save your money for What Might happen You are missing out on a Lot of love.
I agree with you. I worry about acquiring a lot of vet bills, but tell that to a shelter dog and I bet any one of them would choose to take their chances.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:03 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,680,248 times
I read that blog, and I think he is just mouthing off. He lives in an area where people look askance at him because he has no dog (and doesn't want any), so he just feels the urge to shout back at them. I don't think anybody on this earth would claim that getting a dog is a moral duty, or whatever. He is using a straw man argument, claiming he is against something that nobody is in favor of.

At least he has a sister who is quite capable of taking up the gauntlet and argue in favor of dogs. But I have to say I like the comments from most of you guys the best!

Old 11-05-2015, 07:12 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
Saying he don't want a dog is one thing Using Money for What IFs is another & a Put down!

Old 11-05-2015, 07:17 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,037,940 times
Dogs are inconvenient for single people in apartments. I know some who pay a service to visit and walk their dogs. For this they are slaving away? Not to mention getting up at 5 am for a morning walk and a walk after work, there isn't time to do anything else.

If you have a house and a big family, a dog is convenient. They can run around and eat scraps from the kitchen. You might not have to walk the dog multiple times a day.

You definitely don't get rich spending all your money on your dog.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:26 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,083,413 times
Quote:

What do you think?
Optional to some, but in our household they are a MUST have. . . Dogs rule, I wouldn't want it any other way. Unconditonal Love to the nth degree!

Old 11-05-2015, 07:43 PM

19,538 posts, read 9,552,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
Optional to some, but in our household they are a MUST have. . . Dogs rule, I wouldn't want it any other way. Unconditonal Love to the nth degree!

I like the way you think
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs