Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2015, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,207 times

Advertisements

My 7 year old Labrador began 2 nights ago displaying a very jerky head, began breathing very strangely, erratically I guess, and she kept licking/smacking her mouth (as if she was thirsty). it lasted for several hours then finally she quieted down enough she could finally sleep.

Today she began with the licking/smacking of her mouth again, Soon she began the head jerking and that ended up continuing into her upper body (chest and front legs) jerking and kneading. She looks like she is shaking her head as if to say "no" then every once in a while it will jerk up and down as if shaking her head "yes". She prefers laying down but even if she sits up she still continuous with the jerking and kneading motions. She has not been eating or drinking since this morning and cannot seem to stop these motions enough to be able to sleep. The symptom today have been going on now for the last 12 hours.

Other than the above she has been a healthy and happy girl. My husband thought maybe she was bitten by a spider. They are trying to camp inside since it is getting colder, but I cannot she when she might have been bitten. She has not had vomiting, fever or diarrhea.

If anyone has any ideas and/or helpful suggestions other than to take her to the vets, I would appreciate it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 08:01 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
Abscess or problem tooth? You should take her to the vet if whatever has been going on for days and not getting better. She may be in pain and hiding it very well as dogs often do.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:09 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Po,ke around in her mouth, maybe she has something stuck. I would get her to the vet asap.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:20 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times
Why don't you want a suggestion to take her to the vet? Can you not afford it? She sounds seriously ill. Could be extended seizures. Not eating, drinking or sleeping -- not good. She needs medical attention.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:52 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
She could be having seizures. It would be a great idea to take her to a vet.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:56 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,980 times
Take your dog to the vet. Now if you haven't already.

Old 11-03-2021, 05:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,504 times
She didnt want to hear take your dog to a vet because DUHHH GENUISES, thats the obvious and end solution but does anyone have any HELPFUL INSIGHT OR ADVICE ON WHAT CAN BE DONE TO HELP A DOG IN THIS STATE UNTIL ITS ON A VETS TABLE?

MY 2 YEAR OLD CHIHUAHUA MIX STARTED DOING LITERALLY EXACTLY the same thing yesterday with alot of whimpering and fidgeting like shes looking for whatever the right position to be in is to make it stop..

Does ANYONE have ANYTHING actually helpful other then google my nearest vet PLEASE?

Old 11-03-2021, 05:16 AM

2 posts, read 3,504 times
Default Can you tell me what happened with your dog?

Please? Mine is going through the same thing and im finding zero helpful anything on google

Old 11-03-2021, 08:46 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepuplover View Post
Please? Mine is going through the same thing and im finding zero helpful anything on google

Hi. I'm sorry your dog's going through this, but the OP posted in 2015 and I have not seen that name on this forum for years. You could send her a DM, but really, you do need to find a vet.

See the announcement at the top of this Forum:
"The links and information found on this board are in no way a substitute for regular or emergency veterinary care, nor are they intended as veterinary advice. If you have an injured or sick pet, please see a licensed vet immediately."

Old 11-03-2021, 10:18 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
It's probably that inner ear thing that old dogs get. I can't think of the name of it right now, but I'll come back and post it if the word pops into my head later.

Canine idiopathic vestibular disease
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs