Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 04:54 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,990,377 times

Advertisements

Excellent blog post on leash aggression by Susan Garrett.

Leash Aggression in Dogs: Are We Trying To Put Out A Fire With Gasoline? | Susan Garrett's Dog Training Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 05:10 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,990,377 times
The following quote from the article struck me as being particularly poignant and sad; rather than creating a cooperative and confident dog, the owner is inadvertently creating a dog who is leash aggressive and fearful of other dogs, not to mention a whole host of other possible behavioral issues. Bolded part is mine:

"Dogs are often “forced” to growl/bark or lunge because their cries for our help/protection from what they are worried about have gone unnoticed. Growling/lunging/barking/snapping is the dog escalating up the chain of communication. Well that is how it starts anyway. Once a dog learns that when another dog comes near, you are going to scold him then correct him your dog will learn he hates other dogs near by and will do his best to keep that other dog away (hence more growling/barking/snapping/lunging). Correcting the “growl” is telling your dog he has no right to be afraid. That if he shows fear you will meet his fear with violence."

With consistent gentle training exercises, it is relatively easy to teach a nice loose-leash walk. It is a shame so many resort to methods that aren't necessary and will likely create behaviors that are in conflict with having a happy engaged dog who loves walks.

I know that owners with large dogs- danes, mastiffs, or other large breeds- sometimes use a prong collar because they feel it gives them control, and similarly with owners who have physical challenges. But why a prong, choke, or e-collar as opposed to a body harness combined with early training for loose-leash walking? And why does the owner of the average dog choose these methods rather than simply training a nice loose-leash walk?

Thoughts?

Old 11-20-2015, 10:40 AM

19,812 posts, read 22,710,079 times
Thank-goodness I've never had a dog with leash aggression.

Actually thank-goodness I haven't really needed leashes, lol.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:50 AM

34 posts, read 54,124 times
I honestly had no idea this was a thing - good to be aware of it as I look for a dog! Do you know if leash aggression is common among bulldogs?

Old 11-20-2015, 11:52 AM

I think the issue with leash aggression (or whatever it may be called) is more of a factor of the owners actions / dogs interactions, not necessarily a breed specific thing. The leash becomes associated with a negative response, the dog begins to hate this response, dog begins to act out accordingly. Or something..

One thing I've never, ever done- start out a pup or young dog with leash training. Ever. I worked my dogs off leash building trust/cooperation for months and months before I ever put a leash on them.. You don't break a horse by slapping a saddle on it's back and shoving a bit in its mouth and expect it to cooperate out of the gate, but somehow some folks think it is expected with a dog.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:57 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post

One thing I've never, ever done- start out a pup or young dog with leash training. Ever. I worked my dogs off leash building trust/cooperation for months and months before I ever put a leash on them.. You don't break a horse by slapping a saddle on it's back and a bit in its mouth and expect it to cooperate out of the gate, but somehow some folks think it is expected with a dog.
Interesting.
There's nowhere (besides our yards - and only backyard is legal) here where you can have your dog off-leash, so I don't know where I'd work on off-leash stuff first. And the poor dog would never get to go out for a walk. But you raise a very interesting point.

I dunno. This is off-topic, but I feel bad putting a leash and collar on my dog. It almost seems degrading or humiliating. Here is this sentient being and they're all tied up and yanked around.

But they love their walks so much that I don't feel bad for long!!!

Old 11-20-2015, 12:11 PM

stan4- find a place to go if you can. My GSP's were allowed, as 11 week old pups, to freely roam about the place (with me outside) and check things out, romp, sniff, climb whatever. Granted I've got about 15 acres of field and woods, but I also did the same with a Basenji when I lived in an apt complex in Frederick MD many years ago.. I would take her to a fenced in ball field or track and field area. Anywhere safe and you can be off leash. All the while they are free roaming- I was with them. Let the dog.. be a dog! Praise them, reward them, make it fun for them. Soon enough they would follow me around (still playing) but being with me was a good thing! Basics of building cooperation and trust. If they happened to get into something they shouldn't- redirect their attention elsewhere, but make it fun.

Then I let them wander out farther. Every now and again I would turn my back and walk the other way. They want to follow so they do. Basic recall training. Praise, praise - find something fun to do. Then let them wander on their own longer. Start calling their names (by now they know that). They usually willingly come. If not I get their attention by throwing my hat/ball/something.. They will come back..

Then go somewhere where they can REALLY range out and be comfortable being a dog- using their senses and doing the things dogs do.. Almost always you will find the dog will willingly check back in. My GSP's would NEVER leave my line of sight for more than a few seconds..

Anyway my point/philosophy is to work with your dog off leash before you even begin to think about attaching a rope/tether/harness ANY restraining device. They should associate the owner relationship as an utterly enjoyable thing and then they are pretty willing to be with you. Only then do you introduce a leash but make sure you do things that you earlier did- make it fun!. Bottom line- I had my GSP's leash trained in an afternoon and 'off-leash' heal trained in a matter of days as a result. I can comfortably walk them with no restraint and be in cooperative control. I use check cords for bird training (which is fun), check cords for retrieving (also fun)- none of it is a bad thing.

I know I am very fortunate now living in Montana. I have the best possible grounds to have a dog. Where I hunt we have sections (square miles) of open ground where we have fun, find birds, and build cooperation.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
stan4- find a place to go if you can. My GSP's were allowed, as 11 week old pups, to freely roam about the place (with me outside) and check things out, romp, sniff, climb whatever. Granted I've got about 15 acres of field and woods,
Yeah, there's no open free public land you can do whatever you want to on for hours in any direction.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:57 PM

Any farms or ranches nearby? Just ask around. I did that in Frederick MD. I usually wound up with permission to hunt too!

Old 11-20-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Any farms or ranches nearby? Just ask around. I did that in Frederick MD. I usually wound up with permission to hunt too!
Not nearby, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs